Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > iTools & firewalls...

iTools & firewalls...
scottnichol
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2000, 01:03 PM

hello all:

i wanted to know if anyone knows of a way to mount your iDisk from behind a firewall. our company allows very limited connections thru our firewall, but i wanted to know if there were any details on iDisk and firewalls.

thanks
scott
scott nichol
mac:method - simply powerful software for mac os x
http://www.macmethod.com

wlonh
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2000, 01:49 PM

Firewalls and iDisk
We received some counter-replies to yesterday's coverage of problems accessing iDisk from behind a firewall:

Andy Rogers replies: "NetBarrier 1.5 isn't completely incompatible with mounting your iDisk. I got mine to mount by going through the Chooser and clicking on the AppleShare icon. I used idisk.mac.com as the address, and then entered my username and password; after a short pause the iDisk mounted!"
Michael Pifer agrees: "Using the Chooser to connect to iDisk and idisk.mac.com for the server IP address does work with NetBarrier."
J. Sell similarly adds: "iDisk can be used with a firewall (I use NetBarrier), but the firewall must be configured properly to allow incoming TCP traffic to port 548 from idisk.mac.com (204.179.120.77). ICMP and IGMP must also be open from this address. After that, iDisk works fine."
John Bastin similarly reports that he can "mount the iDisk just fine using the Network Browser (and IPNetRouter)." Mike Kidd concurs.

the above is taken in whole from macfixit

and this is from MacNN: http://www.macnn.com/features/itoolsprob.shtml

I have had no problems using iDisk and can mount it using my browser or the AppleShare way, it is slow however... more bandwidth coming shortly I hope...

Forum Links
Forum Rules