Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > TCP/IP control panel

TCP/IP control panel
Yohan
Jan 31, 2000, 07:11 PM

O.K. here's the deal...
So I go to log in after installing OS9 and low and behold I can't get the modem to go full throttle. So I check all the possibles and find that my TCP/IP control panel seems to be corrupted and holding an address. so after I delete this all is well. How do I stop this from reoccuring?

------------------
Yohan

skabaru
Feb 1, 2000, 11:43 AM

if TCP/IP is holding a number, one way to reset that is to create 2 configurations in the TCP/IP control panel and switch between the 2. Make sure that you switch, close the panel, make the change, then reopen and switch back. Did you trash preferences? I have had a problem with MacTCP DNR in the past... you can trash that...

Junebug172
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 1, 2000, 01:47 PM

I'm also having a problem with TCP/IP. When I boot up my computer and launch, for example IE, it won't work. In fact, none of the internet programs work i.e. AOL, MacTicker, etc. I have to open TCP/IP, change something, and save it. After I do this, everything starts to work. I've trashed prefs and DNR and rebuilt the destop, but I have to keep doing this to kick-start TCP/IP.

captdeemo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 1, 2000, 02:52 PM

Two things to try

first on the os 9 cd in the cd extras there is an open tranport extras. In there the tcp/ip extras will release the ip addy.

Drixe
Feb 1, 2000, 03:03 PM

Well, I have no the trouble you mentioned, in fact everything is great with my cable tcp/ip configuration. But� and there is a but !
I can not check the file sharing over TCP/IP in the file sharing control panel.
Does anyone knows why and a trick to make it come clickable.

Yohan
Feb 1, 2000, 04:56 PM

Thanks for the input. I have also been adviced to do a clean re-install. I've tried this and seems to have taken care of some of the conflicts, hate to have to rebuilt the sys. folder though...
Still having some probs with O.E. 5...

------------------
Yohan

Feb 1, 2000, 09:34 PM

Your best bet in eliminating the loss of settings is to save them in Location Manager. This will lock in your settings. I recently performed a clean install and all of a sudden AOL wouldn't detect my GV 56K PC card. After resetting the GV info control panel several times I realized that I was losing my settings. OS 9 is very querky.

Feb 1, 2000, 09:56 PM

i'm brand new to computers & have had similar stuck TCP/IP addresses--AOL tech support had me download Open Transport2.6(whatever that is!) from apple.com./software updates--it seems to work sometimes--hope it helps you too

Dave Hagan
Feb 1, 2000, 09:59 PM

I have found that the problem with TCP/IP holding an address, is due to a conflict between AOL and Mac OS 8.6 and Mac OS 9. I got so frustrated, I finally called America Online and asked them what the story was. They told me to go to the TCP/IP control panel and switch to DHCP Server, close the control panel, save, reopen TCP/IP and change it back to BootP server, close and save. Or, you could do what I did, and go to the TCP/IP preference in the Preference Folder in the System Folder and "Get Info" (Apple-I) and check off "Locked" at the bottom left hand corner. You get an error message when you go to sign onto AOL, but at least it won't pop in an address which screws up your ability to surf the net. I hope this clears up the frustration out there. The America Online folks say their working with Apple with this and it should be fixed with AOL 5.0 or 9.0.1.

Timbonic
Feb 1, 2000, 10:40 PM

Originally posted by Drixe:
Well, I have no the trouble you mentioned, in fact everything is great with my cable tcp/ip configuration. But� and there is a but !
I can not check the file sharing over TCP/IP in the file sharing control panel.
Does anyone knows why and a trick to make it come clickable.

Yohan
Feb 2, 2000, 06:16 AM

Heres the latest....
I have done a complete clean re-install and dragged over all the stuff into the new system folder... still have probs!
I will try the idea of locking the info box of TCP/IP but I am not using either cable or AOL.

Any other input?

ronit15
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 7, 2001, 01:37 AM

I have been having similiar problems. I am an AOL Mac user, version 5.0. I have a G4, OS version 9.0.2.
I CAN connect to AOL, but can't connect to the internet via AOL broswer, IE or Netscape. I've called AOL (many times!) and
reopened TCP/IP and changed it back to BootP server. I've dumped my cache and web preferences.

I still cannot connect. Is it a TCP/IP problem on my machine? (AOL says it was). Is there some type of setting I need to fix? I am new to this, and would appreciate all help!

Thanks.

Ronit

Forum Links
Forum Rules