Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > SMTP / Entourage / AOL Error

SMTP / Entourage / AOL Error
drain
Apr 16, 2001, 11:14 AM

I get the following error when attempting to send mail out through smtp.mac.com...
Error: The SMTP server for iTools does not recognize any of the authentication methods supported by Entourage. To send mail, try disabling SMTP authentication in the account settings or talk to your administrator. Explanation: Mail Error: The server doesn�t support SMTP authentication.

Where 'iTools' is my Entourage account name.

My environment is a 466 iBook SE running mac OS 9.0 with a total of 128 MB of RAM. Entourage is from Office 2001 with SR1 installed. Entourage is set up to authenticate SMTP with my account name and password. I'm using AOL's most recent macintosh client as a dial-in source.

The weirdness begins such that I have been able to send mail via SMTP authentication to smtp.mac.com from Windoz NT 4.0 running Outlook Express (via enternet connection) and a Powerbook G3 333Mhz running Mac OS 8.6 (via ethernet connection) and using the same version of Entourage.

Here's more weirdness. I was actually able to send 2 emails this way on the iBook. Now it seems totally blocked. I have flushed all the Entourage accounts and started from scratch. None of these attempts after resulted in success. For reasons I prefer not to go into, I can not use another email client or dial up service.

Could this be a AOL issue? Has anyone seen similar errors?

Forum Links
Forum Rules