Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Big System Morsels?

Big System Morsels?
Bogartte
Forum Regular
Jan 18, 2001, 05:10 AM

Downloaded OS 9.1 in parts and when installing it, it stalled with the following message "Big System Morsels cannot be found, can not finish installation"... So what the heck is Big System Morsels and is it
part of OS 9.1... if it's missing, where could it be? I'm wondering whether something went wrong in downloading. Looking over the 15 downloaded files I noticed this: Mac OS 9.1 Update 03of15.part 2.... and if it's in two parts where is part 1 of 03? Perhaps I'm missing part 1...
What gives here?

NewPismoOwner
Jan 18, 2001, 10:44 AM

I had that problem when installing 9.1. What I did was start up with the CD by holding down 'C' and then holding 'shift' to turn off extensions as soon as the "Happy Mac" appears on the screen. Then run the update. It should work fine.
"PC Load Letter? What the f--- does that mean?"

Bogartte  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 18, 2001, 01:22 PM

Thanks, but, as I said, I "downloaded" OS 9.1, thus I have no CD and cannot do a clean install... and I did turn off extensions when I tryed to install, as per Apples instructions. I have a AGP G4/400 by the way.

snodman
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 18, 2001, 02:00 PM

The "Big System Morsels" bug cropped up with 8.6 and 9.04 as well. The best fixes seem to be to turn virtual memory back on and to remove any added sound files from your system file. With VM on the error no longer reads that "there was a problem reading file Big System Morsels" but reads that the System file is 'too big' to patch. Temporarily removing any added sound files from the old 9.04 System file seems to work fine for having the update finally complete. After updating to 9.1 I just moved the sounds back into the new 9.1 system file with no problems.

petek
Forum Regular
Jan 18, 2001, 02:03 PM

Big System Morsels is one of the files the installer is reading from. It probably didn't download right. I've gotten this error on an OS 9.0 install off a CD, too. Cleaning the CD fixed that problem. My guess is you'll have to download again, since you can't wash a fingerprint off a download!

Just saw Snodman's post, which makes more sense than my explanation. I guess when I re-booted after washing the CD, it just made it on memory, or something...

[This message has been edited by petek (edited 01-18-2001).]

NewPismoOwner
Jan 18, 2001, 02:27 PM

Originally posted by Bogartte:
Thanks, but, as I said, I "downloaded" OS 9.1, thus I have no CD and cannot do a clean install... and I did turn off extensions when I tryed to install, as per Apples instructions. I have a AGP G4/400 by the way.
Don't you have an OS9 disk or a system restore disk you can start up from? I downloaded the update too but I started up using my restore disk. Once the "Happy Mac" image appeared I hit shift to turn off extensions like I said before. And I had no problems. I don't have a G4/400 as you can probably tell from my name but I saw this solution on one of the forums earlier this week.

"PC Load Letter? What the f--- does that mean?"

SezMe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 20, 2001, 02:37 AM

I downloaded the multipart version of 9.1 and got the same message when trying to install it (several times). I solved the problem by copying the 9.1 update folder from the mounted disk image to the hard drive. Tried the install again, and this time it worked.

wbyeager
Jan 20, 2001, 05:54 PM

I got the "Big System Morsels" problem when installing 9.1. I reran the installer again, and did not have any problems.

My grip about 9.1 is that even though it says you only need about 95 MB, I had to have roughly 200 MB free before it would finish the installation (although the botched installation never rendered my Wallstreet unbootable).

If you have a number after the ".part" in the filename, it means you have a duplicate of that file, or you tried to download it twice. If the first copy you downloaded has been deleted, rename the second one by removing the " 2" from the filename.

Forum Links
Forum Rules