Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > copy/paste files in finder

copy/paste files in finder
hanssep
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 31, 2001, 09:30 AM

I would like to know wether an application exists which allows me to copy/paste files in the finder. It's a feature I use a lot on the "other" platform. Imagine this scenario: deep down somewhere on the harddisk I navigate to some files and apple-c them. I go somewhere else far far away from the original location and apple-v. The selected files are magically copied to their new location...

Does such an extension/control-panel/application/apple-script exist?

Misha
Professional Poster
Jan 31, 2001, 09:35 AM

Not to my knowledge. What you can do instead is this: find the files, and drag them while hodling down the option key to your desktop. This will copy the files there. Then go to where you want them to be, and drag the files from the desktop to that location.

hanssep  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 31, 2001, 09:50 AM

seek and yea shall find (why didn't I do this *before* posting?)

It does exist: FileCM (http://home.wireco.net/~andyf/)

"FileCM is a contextual menu plugin that allows the user to Cut, Copy, Paste, and Alias files through contextual menus. FileCM is straight forward to use, and is much like Windows9x's file Cut, Copy, and Paste contextual menus. Version 1.2 adds the ability to alias files. FileCM requires a PowerMac with MacOS 8.1 or later."

Gregg
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2001, 02:16 PM

Or, there is FinderPop and PowerMenu, which also use contextual menus.
Ya gotta applaud those bunnies for sacrificing their hearing just so some guy in Yonkers can have better TV reception.

DocWest
Senior User
Jan 31, 2001, 11:36 PM

The answer: Spring-loaded folders baby!
Grab your file/s and just drag and pop open the folders using spacebar and you're in the deep, dark nestled folders in no time! When you've got to where you want to be, hold down option and let go. easy. and fast.

Cipher13
Feb 1, 2001, 04:37 AM

Exactly right, dunno what I'd do without them. All done in one easy movement.
And thats why OSX needs that... it doens't have spring loaded folders, OR the copy and paste thing. Plus you can navigate with spring loaded folders... you can't with copy/paste...

Cipher13

spicyjeff
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 1, 2001, 01:19 PM

Exactly, I don't know how I am going to survive in OS X without spring loaded folders...another great Apple insight looks like it might be fading into the sunset.

hanssep  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 1, 2001, 04:32 PM

Spring-loaded folders are great and I would hate to see them disappear but it just takes forever this way! And what if the folder you wish to copy or move your files in doesn't exits (yet)? You can apple-c your files, create/rename a folder, and apple-v them! Try doing that with spring-loaded folders!

Forum Links
Forum Rules