Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > How can I save "non-savable" Quicktime movie trailers?

How can I save "non-savable" Quicktime movie trailers?
Ian
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 11, 2000, 09:38 AM

How can movie trailers at the Quicktime movie trailer sample page (like Tombraider Movie) be saved to disk once they have been watched in the browser window. Where is the QT movie file cached while it being downloaded?

noliv
Senior User
Dec 11, 2000, 10:04 AM

It's in the prefences folder of your browser... try to use sherlock to find every document which size is > to 1 MB and which modification date is 'today'...
-noliv

Storyboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 11, 2000, 10:28 AM

Hey, Ian:

I had the same problem a while ago; here's what I do:

1) In your browser (on the QT Plug-in window) you should see a "Plug-in" settings window that would allow you to select the "Save movie to cache" or "save movie to disk", I can't remember exactly what it says.

2) The file will probably appear in the Temporary Items Folder; so a Sherlock Search to find it, then make an alias on your desktop so you can find it the next time.

3) Then you should drag the file from "Temp Items" to the desktop before closing your browser and open it in QT. You may need ResEdit or Snitch to change file type/creator to MPEG/TVOD (there could be other types as well)

OR

Bypass the plug-in altogether:

Under browser Preferences/File Helpers (that's IE, Netscape has a similar option, I believe), find the file types in question (mpeg, mov, etc.) and set it up to view these files with the QT Application, downloading the file to the Desktop (or wherever); the QT Player should open when the download is done and the file should be saved in a usable format.

I hope you get all this and, also, that I got it all correct. There are many others here who will eagerly refute and correct me if I have failed. I am still trying to be promoted from "Junior Member" status.

Good luck.

[This message has been edited by Storyboy (edited 12-11-2000).]
Indeed, I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.

iMac Core2Duo 2.16GHz/3G RAM/250G HD OSX 10.6.6
Various Peripherals

Cipher13
Dec 11, 2000, 04:36 PM

Get to the page, go to View Source in the menu, find the URL of the movie, and download it normally, like through Anarchie or something.

Cipher13

iPond317
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 13, 2000, 12:03 AM

Hey!!!! Wait a second... I'm Ian! Nice to meet 'ya! he he

------------------
Think different.
--------------------
"I'm so afraid, the way I feel. Days when the rain and the sun are gone. Black as night. Agony's torn at my heart too long. So afraid, slip and I fall and I die..." - Lindsey Buckingham
iPond317 | ODU Apple Campus Rep
"Ten years ago down by the lake I sunk my sweet love down to her watery grave." - Hello Again | DMB

Old: Apple IIc, PowerMac 7200/90, iMac Bondi Blue 233, Titanium PowerBook G4 400 - New: MacBook 2.0, iPhone 8GB, AirPort Extreme Gb, iPod 30GB 5th Gen

Forum Links
Forum Rules