Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > MAC OS 9 start up delay

MAC OS 9 start up delay
dkrieb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 2, 2000, 08:49 AM

I have a Nupowr G3 modified Powerbook 1400 with OS 9 installed. I've operating the system without problems since it was first released. Recently I've been experiencing a start up delay of about 30-45 sec after the HD icon mounts. I've installed ATM Deluxe 4.5.2 to resolve any poosibilty of font conflicts and have also reinstalled new fonts in my system folder. However, the fonts still look different in both WordPerfect and AOL.

If I attempt tp rebuild the desktop the system slows down. If I zap the PRAM the system returns to normal but with the delay.

Any ideas?

Denny

------------------
Dennis Kriebel<[email protected]>

wlonh
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2000, 09:50 AM

look for an invisible file named 'AppleShare PDS', use whichever method you prefer to make the file visible (assuming that it is on your Mac), it will be at the root of your HD if it is there... make it visible and trash it with extreme prejudice.
(you can use the freeware 'Invisible File Copier' to make it visible, very very easy to use, see www.versiontracker.com to get it)

also trash any 'leftover' temporary files using Eradicator (also see versiontracker)

and Clean Recent Items would be nice too: http://hyperarchive.lcs.mit.edu/Hype...t-items-10.hqx

dkrieb  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 2, 2000, 11:58 PM

Dear wlonh:

I tried your recommendations. I'm still experiencing the problem.

Denny

wlonh
Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2000, 02:49 AM

ok, well... look in your System Folder and find the Servers folder, delete any/all servers there.

do you have a very large number of fonts?

and... have you run all your repair utilities ?

i know some of the upgrades out there, but am unfamiliar with the NuPower card for the 1400, does it use an extension and other software to enable it? this might be suspect, in any case i would contact NuPower about this.

dkrieb  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2000, 09:28 PM

wlonh:

Your second recommendation worked. I found, of all things, an i-Disk icon in my servers folder. I trashed it and the start up proceeded normally. All that playing around with Apple's i-Tools website did me in.

My fonts and highlight color still look strange in AOL and WP but I'll figure it out eventually. I guess we take the MAC's simplicity for granted sometimes. I need to gain a better understanding of what makes the system work.

Thanks for help!

Denny

[This message has been edited by dkrieb (edited 02-03-2000).]

Forum Links
Forum Rules