Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Installing SW onto a Disk Image

Installing SW onto a Disk Image
George Orville
Forum Regular
Feb 6, 2000, 02:37 AM

My computor is running off of my internal hd, so I inserted the OS CD 8.6,went thru the motions and did a custom install onto my Disk Image......
I double clicked the Disk Image and a window opens up with folders/icons that would appear in any hd, it had the following folders installed;

System
Application
Document
Utilities
Assitants
Apple Extra
Internet
Mac OS Read Me Files

The installer treated the Disk Image as an HD.....
I moved the Finder from the old System to the desktop and restarted and the computor booted up with the new System. I did this to make sure it was functional, which it was.

What did I prove... You can install System sw onto a computor without booting up from the OS CD as you press "C"....

Then can a person move all the sw from the Disk Image to the internal hd , restart, check it out and then trash the Disk Image...

------------------
George
bigbiker

Seagull
Feb 6, 2000, 08:02 AM

Your message sounds similar to one of the tips I posted which you can find by following the thread http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/Forum1/HTML/000463.html

This method of installing the Mac OS onto a disk image illustrates how flexible the Mac OS is, is it not?

Forum Links
Forum Rules