Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Multiple OS version on the same machine

Multiple OS version on the same machine
tokyo2002
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2000, 03:49 PM

I want to able to boot multiple versions of OS 9 on my iBook. Specifically the english and Japanese versions. My wife is japanese and I am american. We want to be able to use the same computer. I realize that OS 9 will do japanese but I want to be able to boot into the two different versions easily.
Lewis Skolnick
Skolnick Electronics

wlonh
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2000, 04:01 PM

backup the HD on the iBook and reinitialize it and during this process you can format it to have two partitions, effectively making two different volumes and you can install the USA version on one and the Japanese version on the other

afer backing up the HD, boot the iBook from the MacOS CD and use Drive Setup on the MacOS CD to initialize and partition the HD... then install MacOS on one volume, and the other version of MacOS on the other volume

goodstuff
Jun 3, 2000, 04:11 PM

Conflict Catcher can detect multiple system configurations and let you choose among (or between) them.

As a plus, Conflict Catcher is just a great program all the way around. Try here: http://www.casadyg.com. Or the direct link at http://www.casadyg.com/downloads/def...l?demoName=cc8

wlonh
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2000, 04:18 PM

beware the System Merge function of Conflict Catcher... it is suspect and has been implicated in some serious loss of data

macfixit had a report on this

i've never used conflict catcher and never needed to and i believe that in this instance, less is more

NOTE! ATTENTION! SEE THIS!
i was wrong about CC system merge and loss of data... it is known that the system merge is problematic but not a danger in the way of data loss, rather it is known to make some 'system merged' Macs run slower as time goes on and it does not require much time for this slowdown to become somewhat noticeable and it will continue to get slower yet and become very very noticeable

and the report was at MacInTouch and not MacFixit, sorry for any confusion

ok, now you can shoot me

[This message has been edited by wlonh (edited 06-05-2000).]

tokyo2002  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 4, 2000, 02:25 AM

Thank You for the advice. I am giving conflict catcher a try. I will let you know how it works for me.
Lewis Skolnick
Skolnick Electronics

tokyo2002  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 5, 2000, 12:01 PM

Well, I got it all to work and it is working just fine. I just use the Startup Disk contral panel to switch between the two versions, conflict catcher does not want to cooperate. Other than that little piece all is well on the iBook. I LOVE IT!!!
Lewis Skolnick
Skolnick Electronics

Forum Links
Forum Rules