Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Midnight Hard Drive Update

Midnight Hard Drive Update
rcovell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 31, 2001, 01:27 AM

As I'm usually on the 'net late at night, at the stroke of midnight, my progress is interrupted by the computer showing a little window indicating the HD is updating. Takes a few minutes during which time everything is slow or non-responsive. Just wondering, is this something that is done whether the computer is 'on' or not? Is there any way this process be rescheduled for another time? Do you just grin and bear it? My year and a half old iMac is running OS 9. Thanks.

crazycylon
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 31, 2001, 02:15 AM

You can set it on any schedule you like. Have it done everyday or once a week on a certain date. Chose a time that you don't need to be doing something on your computer.
As a man comes, so he departs.

oscar
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 31, 2001, 04:54 AM

open sherlock, goto the menu "find" and chooe index volumes, and that should show you what you need to resolve this =)

rcovell  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 2, 2001, 12:57 AM

Oscar- Thanks for the reply. When I go to Sherlock and search the 'contents' selection of the HD for 'index hard drive' , I get 100 matches.Is the 'drive setup guide' what I should be looking at? When I click on it, I get a message that the Finder needs my attention and I can't access this 'drive setup guide'. Can you shed any more light on this question? Thanks, again.

loudpedal
Forum Regular
Aug 2, 2001, 12:44 PM

I'm in a similar situation. The only problem is that I never let it go through it's index. I had assumed it was something to do with Norton Utilities. It will usually start off by saying it will be done in 20 minutes. As time goes on, it gets longer instead of shorter. About a month ago I let it go overnight. When I woke up 6-7 hours later it said it had another 15 hours to go (give or take a few hours). I stopped it.

Anybody else have that problem? Do I need to let it go until it stops (sometime when I have a weekend free)? I've had the computer about 1 1/2 years. It's an iMac DVSE 400 MHz running 9.0.4.

Thanks for letting me piggyback off of your post.

LOUDpedal
"When the light turns green, get off the brakes and stand on the loudpedal!"

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2001, 09:22 PM

If you interupt the indexing when it starts it destroys 100 sectors of your hard drive. This is unnoticeable at first but after a while of interrupting it you will find that your drive appears to be smaller and sometimes people don't notice until it's too late and they find many files just missing..uh oh...it could also cause a fatal meltdown of your drive.

crazycylon
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 3, 2001, 12:58 AM

Originally posted by rcovell:
<STRONG>Oscar- Thanks for the reply. When I go to Sherlock and search the 'contents' selection of the HD for 'index hard drive' , I get 100 matches.Is the 'drive setup guide' what I should be looking at? When I click on it, I get a message that the Finder needs my attention and I can't access this 'drive setup guide'. Can you shed any more light on this question? Thanks, again.</STRONG>
To change the schedule for indexing Open Sherlock, then on the tool bar select find, from the menu select Index. The list of available volume should appear then the select the appropriate drive and click on the schedule button. You can now set the day and time you want your drive to be indexed.
As a man comes, so he departs.

rcovell  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 3, 2001, 01:06 AM

Loudpedal- I have a similar problem, but, I don't have the Norton utilities, this update thing seems to be part of the OS. I usually let mine run and the estimated time starts out at many hours, but, usually drops into the minutes range pretty quickly. A normal, for me, time is usually only 2 or 3 minutes, though I have run for almost a half an hour. The longer run times are associated with work I've done or, especially new programs I've added, like a recent addition of PhotoShop Elements. It's annoying to interrupt the work flow, thus my original question: Does the computer need to be 'on' for this indexing/ update to occur? And, if so, can the timing be changed? Prior posts seen to indicate that the timing can be changed, but, I've yet to figure out how. Good luck!

loudpedal
Forum Regular
Aug 11, 2001, 08:45 AM

The computer definitely has to be on to index the hard drive. To change the schedule time, open Sherlock 2 and go to the "Find" pulldown menu along the top of the screen. From there, select "Index Volumes..." (or hit Command-L as soon as Sherlock 2 opens). This window will have the index schedule. Seems like a pretty strange location for this sort of thing.

LOUDpedal
"When the light turns green, get off the brakes and stand on the loudpedal!"

Forum Links
Forum Rules