Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > OS9-Virtual Memory-unPerforma 5200

OS9-Virtual Memory-unPerforma 5200
KILLIANS
Oct 31, 1999, 09:04 PM

Forum Readers:

I've recently updated to MacOS 9 and have uncovered what I think my be a bug regarding Virtual Memory (VM). The following has been confirmed on three different 5200's, though I've not found it present on any other machines.

If VM is ON, none of the internet applications have any throughput and will eventually time out. This includes:

Eudora Pro 4.2.1
Sherlock II
Quicktime Updater
Netscape Nav/Comm (any version)
Explorer (any version)
ICQ (Gerry's ICQ as well)
Hotline
Carracho

Now, I am able to connect to the internet just fine and hold the connection (Earthlink as ISP) but nothing will come back through, and I will eventually time out. I am running with 64M of RAM with no other software on the drive. I've tried two different drives myself, several installs, etc. The other peers with
5200's have different setups (amount of RAM, HD size, ISP, modem) but have
this same issue if VM is on.

If I turn of VM, everything runs like a charm.

Thoughts anyone?

Killians

Forum Links
Forum Rules