Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Image shows first alleged iPhone 6 cases

Image shows first alleged iPhone 6 cases
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Apr 11, 2014, 11:06 AM

A new photo shows what are alleged to be two of the first third-party cases produced for the iPhone 6. While there are no earlier iPhones or accessories in the image for comparison, the cases are said to fit 4.7- and 5.5/5.7-inch devices. One unusual aspect of their design is the presence of an extra cutout on one side, and what appears to be a relocated power button cutout on top. It's unclear what the additional cutout might be for.

The cases do appear to be generally consistent with recent leaks. The number of leaks that have begun to emerge in recent times may suggest that Apple is already providing final specifications to its suppliers and manufacturers, which are in turn seeing workers sell that information to Asian casemakers; those companies regularly start producing cases for Apple products before they ship. The leaks are most likely emerging from people at Foxconn, Apple's main iPhone assembly partner, which is one of the few companies that would have access to full product dimensions, if not the only one.

Gazoobee
Forum Regular
Apr 11, 2014, 11:26 AM

I'm not sure I believe in it even now, as these would lbw trivial to fake, but it must be noted that this is actually the very *first* evidence (other than word of mouth) that the 5.5" iPhone is even a real thing.

Personally, I think the sweet-spot for phablets will always be 6 or 7 inches with an iPad form factor even though it may take years to get there. If there was an "iPad nano," (slightly smaller than the current one and with stylus support, I think it would blow the doors off the market and be the device of choice for most people except for those who still just want a phone, then the original 4" iPhone is actually best.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 11, 2014, 01:06 PM

The original iPhone had a 3.5" display. The iPhone 5 was the first with a 4" display.

Jeronimo2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 11, 2014, 01:12 PM

You realize that all iPads have "stylus support", and yet that there is no chance in hell that Apple will ever ship an iPad that comes with (let alone requires) a stylus?

But I'm with you 100% that "the original 4" iPhone is actually best" to hold in one hand. I can see a 4.7" iPhone 6 (Apple kinda has no other chance), but 5.5" is fugly-phablet-territory, so I call BS. Plus, I wonder how they would handle TWO new resolutions without admitting they arrived in Android's Fragmentationville.

My guess: iPads will stay where they are, size-wise, with a higher likelihood of a 13" version appearing than anything smaller than 7". iPhone 6 will arrive in 4.7", maybe there will be a 4" iPhone 6C with a similar form factor to the current iPod nano (which is a sweet device).

And if there's gonna be anything larger than 5" on the iPhone front, I'll eat my shorts.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 11, 2014, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Jeronimo2000 View Post
You realize that all iPads have "stylus support", and yet that there is no chance in hell that Apple will ever ship an iPad that comes with (let alone requires) a stylus?
They do NOT have "stylus support" with the precision a stylus makes possible.

Whatever stylii you can buy are limited to index-finger precision.

Jeronimo2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 11, 2014, 06:53 PM

@Spheric Harlot: Agreed, there is a difference.

Gazoobee
Forum Regular
Apr 12, 2014, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
The original iPhone had a 3.5" display. The iPhone 5 was the first with a 4" display.
True. Please ignore the word "original."

Forum Links
Forum Rules