Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Tim Cook backs Employee Non-Discrimination Act on Twitter

Tim Cook backs Employee Non-Discrimination Act on Twitter
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Apr 11, 2014, 02:36 PM

Apple CEO Tim Cook took to Twitter earlier today in support of the Employee Non-Discrimination Act. "The House should mark the 50th anniversary of the Civil Rights Act by passing ENDA," he wrote. If passed, the bill would make it illegal for companies to discriminate based on gender identity or sexual orientation. The bill has been trapped in the US political system since 1994, however, and a November 2013 editorial by Cook in the Wall Street Journal had little impact.

Apple has maintained LGBT-friendly job policies since the 1980s, and Cook himself is gay. In recent years the company has become more openly political on LGBT issues, for instance actively opposing Proposition 8, the California ballot initiative that temporarily made gay marriage illegal in the state. The new Twitter post includes Speaker of the House Rep. John Boehner, House Minority Leader Rep. Nancy Pelosi, House Majority Leader Rep. Eric Cantor, and Democratic Whip Rep. Steny Hoyer as tagged users.

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 13, 2014, 12:38 AM

How does he feel about the treatment of Brendan Eich? How does he feel about those who are trying to go after Condoleezza Rice?
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2014, 01:19 AM

What's stopping you from asking him? He has a public email address (good luck getting a reply, of course).
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 13, 2014, 01:08 PM

There is some bizarre logic on both the left and right extremes, and always has been:

Feeling strongly about some issues and going about trying to change them does NOT make one a hypocrite for not speaking out publicly about others.

If I'm outspoken in favor of gender equality, it does not mean I have to be outspoken on rainforest conservation.
If I'm outspoken on gay rights, it does not mean I have to be outspoken on race issues.
If I disapprove of LBGT discrimination, it does not mean I have to be outspoken on every moron who resigned from a job over public backlash against his personal convictions.

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 13, 2014, 11:58 PM

So Spheric Harlot would you then agree that if someone is against the agenda of gay rights activists that does not necessarily mean that person hates gay people? Because gay rights activists are constantly trying to suggest that anyone who is against them hates gay people which simply is not true.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 14, 2014, 02:56 AM

I think it is impossible to be "against the agenda of gay rights activists" and be respectful of basic human rights.

The two are in direct opposition.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 14, 2014, 04:02 AM

Also, I will point out that adding a "then" to your question is a pretty poor attempt at making it look like you're drawing some sort of conclusion from what I wrote. Your question is completely unrelated to what I was saying, and in fact, you completely ignored my point.

This would indicate that you agree that the attempt to character-assassinate Tim Cook has failed, and you're now down to defending Eich via a straw-man of not "hating" people.

I don't care WHY you wish to deny people basic rights. Most people didn't "hate" niggers. They LOVED their Uncle Toms and household slaves. They were like family members — like the dog. They used the Bible, Cultural Heritage, and the Natural Order of Things, even Evolution to argue for continued oppression and denial of basic rights.

Forum Links
Forum Rules