Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Apple readies iOS 7.1.1, accelerates iOS 8 and OS X 10.10 testing

Apple readies iOS 7.1.1, accelerates iOS 8 and OS X 10.10 testing
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Apr 17, 2014, 09:56 AM

Apple is preparing an immediate follow-up to iOS 7.1 in the form of v7.1.1, according to web traffic data from 9to5Mac. The site says that it has received "numerous" hits from v7.1.1 devices operating in areas around Apple's Cupertino campus. It's not clear when the update will go live, or what it will contain, but the version number suggests that it should arrive relatively soon and mostly contain bugfixes.

Hits are meanwhile said to be increasing from devices running iOS 8 or OS X 10.10, indicating more intense development. One or both should be revealed at this June's WWDC in San Francisco. iOS 8 is expected to include a new health-tracking app, Healthbook, as well as major improvements to Maps, above all the return of public transit directions. Less is known about OS X 10.10 -- codenamed Syrah -- but it may switch to a new aesthetic.

SMacSteve
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 17, 2014, 10:57 AM

A new aesthetic? Without changing the design completely, there's not much that Apple hasn't tried with OS X yet. What are they going to call this? OS "Double X? I'd really like to know how long they plan to ride this OS "X" thing? Will they ever move to a "11" or "XI"

Flying Meat
Senior User
Apr 17, 2014, 11:47 AM

Well, the question has been answered. OS X 10.10
Even in as a binary number (1010) it equals 10
Though if converting, then X=10, so 101010 = 42!
Wait. What was the question?

PRoth
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 17, 2014, 12:01 PM

DON'T accelerate testing--SLOW IT DOWN! Give testing its due diligence! Ever since Snow Leopard, it's been added gimmickry and frustration. With OS X, they can't just say... "It just works"... maybe more apt to say "It works funny, not in a ha ha kind of way"

Inkling
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 17, 2014, 12:41 PM

Ah, Apple's ten little chickens are coming home to roost. When OS X 10.0 came out, I can recall thinking that making the "X" stand for ten was a major mistake. And it was not just that "Oh S Ten, ten point zero was redundant. It was that they were tying the OS numbering to digits that started with "ten." The only thing that's sillier than "Oh S Ten, ten point something" is "Oh S Ten, 11 point something." And now we're seeing the consequences. They're opting for a 10.10 perhaps because 11.0 clashes with the lead name. Tradition is always a good guy to what's best and software development tradition says have a name that is a name and flip over the integers with big changes and the decimal numbers with small ones. I just hope this 10.10 isn't named after yet another obscure beach known only to surfers. Perhaps names based on breeds of horses or the world's best known mountains?
Author of Untangling Tolkien and Chesterton on War and Peace

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2014, 05:16 PM

The new series of names, as has been explained by Apple, is "special places in California." Given the number of places that might qualify, I'd say it will be many years before Apple changes that arrangement.

As to whether they'll ever move on from OS X: I don't know, but I shouldn't think so. It's as recognizable a brand as "Windows." And if Microsoft can just make up numbers for their Windows series (hint: Win 7 wasn't the seventh release of Windows), and Chrome can reach version 34 within two years, I see no reason why we can't stick with 10.xx for a while.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Ham Sandwich
Apr 17, 2014, 06:03 PM

I really wish Apple would just drop the whole 10.10.etc. already, it's the 20th release of their operating system, just call it Mac OS 20, Tropics (or whatever it is) and move in.

I mean, there's no iOS X 10.1...

Forum Links
Forum Rules