Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Microsoft offers Surface Pro 3 buyers $650 for MacBook Air trade-ins

Microsoft offers Surface Pro 3 buyers $650 for MacBook Air trade-ins
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Jun 23, 2014, 03:32 PM

Microsoft is offering MacBook Air owners up to $650 in store credit if they trade in the laptop when buying a Surface Pro 3. To qualify for the deal, people must bring an Air into a Microsoft Store in the US, Canada, or Puerto Rico; it must also be able to power on, and not have water damage or a cracked screen. The promotion expires on July 31st.

At the press event where Microsoft first announced the Surface Pro 3, the company made direct comparisons to the Air in terms of weight and features. The Pro 3 grows the size of the Surface from 10 to 12 inches while simultaneously cutting back on weight and thickness. Despite being a tablet, it can run any Windows app, since it's based on Intel processors.

pottymouth
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 23, 2014, 03:53 PM

...then they can flip them on eBay for a tidy profit. Slick move.

coffeetime
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 23, 2014, 04:08 PM

The problem is people prefer the other way around.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2014, 04:17 PM

Wow, desperate much MS?
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Raman
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2014, 04:33 PM

"the company made direct comparisons to the Air in terms of weight and features"

OSX is a feature of my MBA. Thanks, but no thanks, MSFT.

jdonahoe
Forum Regular
Jun 23, 2014, 04:50 PM

My guess is 5 idiots will take the trade. This is among all the Microsoft Stores, which from my observation of a store in St. Louis last month, it might represent a peak attendance for the stores if the 5 show up.

Flying Meat
Senior User
Jun 23, 2014, 05:04 PM

It's like an old flabby guy wearing a speedo.

blshaw
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2014, 05:42 PM

Microsoft's insight into what the market wants and what the market will buy has always been incredibly astute. Remember Ballmer's statement that "There's no chance that the iPhone is going to get any significant market share. No chance. It's a $500 subsidized item." And now they have to pay $650 to get fools to buy a Surface? Lose money on every sale but make up for it in volume. Great business plan!

jpellino
Forum Regular
Jun 23, 2014, 07:14 PM

Just stand outside the MS store with a sign that says "I'll pay $651 for the first 2012 MBA 13" 256GB" Deal of the century and if the Surface3 is so good they should walk into MS and buy it anyway and I get a MBA13/256 for a song. Win Win Win.
Just sayin'

noibs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2014, 08:02 PM

I can smell Microsoft's desperation deep in the Rocky Mountain.

climacs
Senior User
Jun 23, 2014, 08:36 PM

"Despite being a tablet, it can run any Windows app, since it's based on Intel processors." Huh, and I can run both OS X and shitty Windows 8 OS on a MBA.

Meovv
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 24, 2014, 12:42 AM

The real reason for this program is that Microsoft's senior management all want MacBook Airs for personal use, but it's against company policy to buy them at the Apple Store.

pairof9s
Senior User
Jun 24, 2014, 09:09 AM

Yes, because heaven forbid you have both of them at the same time to REALLY compare.

Forum Links
Forum Rules