Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Video compares iPhone 6 cover panel versus iPhone 5s

Video compares iPhone 6 cover panel versus iPhone 5s
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Jul 3, 2014, 09:23 AM

A new video from Chinese site iFanr (below) shows an alleged 4.7-inch cover panel for the iPhone 6 in comparison with an iPhone 5s. While the part appears no different than the ones in a recent leak, the video does give a sense of how much larger an iPhone 6 might feel in the hand. It suggests that Apple is conceding on a former design principle, which was that a person should be able to reach all four corners of a phone's screen with their thumb.

Apple is however playing catch-up with the rest of the smartphone industry in terms of size. Whereas most Android and Windows Phone devices are at least 4.5 inches, and increasingly over 5, even the iPhone 5s is still just 4 inches. Apple is believed to be working on a 5.5-inch iPhone as well.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2014, 10:14 AM

And some of us (numerically probably quite a few buyers) prefer smaller. I do hope that by 2015 Apple creates a way to continue to offer the latest tech in a

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2014, 10:15 AM

And some of us (numerically probably quite a few buyers) prefer smaller. I do hope that by 2015 Apple creates a way to continue to offer the latest tech in a less than 4.7" iPhone.

Jeff75
Forum Regular
Jul 3, 2014, 06:28 PM

While I probably will miss how easily it fits in my pocket, I will eventually buy the iPhone 6s - the NEXT iPhone after this upcoming one. I think my eyes can benefit from the larger screen.
MBP 17" Core i7 matte screen; iPad 16Gb 3G

panjandrum
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 3, 2014, 08:32 PM

Hmmmm. Hopefully that's just an additional size. I for one will not (ever) purchase any phone larger than my current 5s. I need a phone that's easy to fit in a front jeans pocket, and the 5s is already on the edge of being too tall (the 4s fit better). I realize that "bigger is better" is such an integral part of U.S. culture that it's hard to get away from, but most of the smartphones I see today are absurdly large, and hopefully Apple is smart enough to buck this trend.

byzantium
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 4, 2014, 12:15 PM

Actually bigger devices are preferred by Chinese and east Asian countries, where the device you own is as much about status as it is about function. I always laugh when I see a petitie asian woman with a phablet such as the Galaxy Note use it as a phone. It looks ridiculous.

FastiBook
Jul 5, 2014, 01:23 AM

Please keep the smaller screen size, apple!!
Fact is better than fiction.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2014, 04:26 AM

FWIW I don't think fans of the iPhone 5 family have anything to worry about in the short-term. Apple is unbelievably likely to keep selling the iPhone 5s for a couple of years to come at least. It's a hugely popular phone, and that would be the path they normally take. It's pretty clear from the iOS 8 demo that iOS 8, at least, is designed to be comfortable on an iPhone 5-type device.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 11, 2014, 08:57 AM

I HAVE an iPhone 5s. I'm worried about what happens when it's time to replace this one.

I REALLY don't want a bigger screen/phone.

Apple tends to be fairly good about offering "sensible" even when following stupid market trends, though.

Forum Links
Forum Rules