Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > New Samsung Galaxy S5 ad attacks iPhone's need for 'wall hugging'

New Samsung Galaxy S5 ad attacks iPhone's need for 'wall hugging'
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Jul 3, 2014, 03:19 PM

Samsung has released a new TV ad (below) for the Galaxy S5, comparing it against the iPhone in terms of battery life. iPhone owners are depicted as "wall huggers," forced to constantly hunt for outlets at spaces like airports due to only being able to go a few hours on a charge. On the other side of the coin the ad touts the S5's removable battery, and its "ultra power saving mode," which disables non-essential functions and can allow the phone to run for a full day with just 10 percent power left.

The iPhone's battery life could improve substantially this fall when new 4.7- and 5.5-inch models are released. Competitors like the S5 benefit from having more space for larger batteries, and Apple will presumably want to take advantage as well. A switch to removable technology is unlikely though, since Apple typically prefers to integrate its components for size and optimization purposes.

mozart11
Forum Regular
Jul 3, 2014, 04:03 PM

Or one could look at it as iPhone users are able to use their device for so much more. Business, shopping etc... And as studies show, more people with iPhones & iPads spend a lot more money online than Android users. But then again Android users are cheap to begin with - they bought an Android device.

Mr. Strat
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 3, 2014, 05:04 PM

My iPhone 5 battery is still going strong, and the phone does everything it was advertised to do. I don't have to root it to get it to work right or perform better; there's just one version of iOS; and it's not made by a company that sucks.

Flying Meat
Senior User
Jul 3, 2014, 07:42 PM

That's weird. My 3GS still goes 2 days without needing a charge. That said, I'm not a phone hugger, so I have bluetooth, enabled all the time. I also have wifi and 3G enabled, take pictures every so often, play games (usually the same one a few times a week, check schedules and email periodically. I'm pretty impressed with the longevity of this thing's original battery.
I don't tend to have anything using location tracking, except the rare GPS Nav use, or food locators. I activate location tracking only when using those types of things. They are not enabled continuously.

Wingsy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 4, 2014, 04:55 AM

I charged my 5S yesterday, as usual. In less than 2 hours it was at 100%. This morning I'm at 70%. It's been 16 hrs 39 minutes since last charge, and usage time is 2 hrs, 31 minutes. Most of this was from several very long phone calls, many looks at the weather map, some browsing, emails, texts and pictures. Just my everyday usage pattern. Extrapolating this out, I could go over 2 days without a charge.

I guess the Samsung ad wasn't directed at me.

FastiBook
Jul 5, 2014, 01:35 AM

I have gotten 3 days from my 3G, 4, and now my 4S a few times each. Charging is also super fast. I'll be looking for a 5S or 6 in october, i guess.
Fact is better than fiction.

freddymac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 6, 2014, 10:09 AM

I work in a office with 6 other people. Everyone has a android phone except for me (iphone 5) and the first thing that everyone of them do when they get to work is plug there phone in. They leave them plugged in till they go to to hanger. As soon as they get back, boom, plug it back in. Every time my girlfriends kids come to visit the first thing they do is plug their android phones in. I just don't get it. My girlfriend had a android phone till last year and it was always going dead. Since I bought her a iphone 5 she has never had a problem.

Forum Links
Forum Rules