Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > New iTunes 11.3 brings iTunes Extras for HD movies

New iTunes 11.3 brings iTunes Extras for HD movies
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Jul 10, 2014, 12:03 PM

Apple has released iTunes 11.3 for Mac and Windows users. The main addition is support for iTunes Extras associated with HD movies, granting access to things like galleries, commentaries, behind-the-scenes clips, and short films. Not every movie has Extras, since these require special formatting on the part of content creators, but even previously-purchased titles can get Extras for free if they're added later.

Extras should now also be accessible to Apple TV owners. In that circumstance, people must be running the v6.2 firmware released last month. Extras will also eventually make their way to iOS, but Apple says that users will have to wait for iOS 8.

iTunes 11.3 can be downloaded via the Mac App Store, Apple's website, or the Software Update tool for Windows.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Jul 11, 2014 at 05:13 AM. )

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2014, 04:34 PM

Found a bug/flaw/problem. The update removes the ability to set default behaviours for each podcast. Probably a compilation error, will likely be fixed in a future update (sent feedback), but in the meantime if that's an important feature to you, you might want to hold off on upgrading to 11.3.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

thinkman
Jul 10, 2014, 06:31 PM

Previews are now back down to 30 seconds!!! WTF!

Ham Sandwich
Jul 10, 2014, 07:36 PM

What the hell is iTunes extras?

I tried doing a search and came back with "iTunes LP" and the wikipedia article on it made absolutely no sense, just that it's something to do with mixing album artwork.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2014, 12:35 AM

thinkman: some previews have always been 30 seconds and never changed. Might be just bad luck. EDIT: Just checked, previews are 1:30 still for the things I checked. FURTHER EDIT: well, turns out you're not imagining things -- the record companies (or Apple) have definitely reverted some previews from 90 seconds to 30 seconds, seemingly randomly. There are definitely plenty of 90-second samples still out there, but quite a few have changed back as I sample around more widely. Going to look into this.

And.reg: think like DVD extras on a DVD. Some iTunes movies have them. ITunes LPs are albums that offer digital booklets, additional art, maybe music videos or behind-the-scenes stuff, but you have to buy the whole album to get that stuff.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

webraider
Forum Regular
Jul 13, 2014, 05:19 PM

Just got WiFi sync back with previous update.. now it's GONE again, this time completely

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Jul 13, 2014, 06:27 PM

I'm having some "stalling" behavior when iTunes is idle, but not all the time. New to 11.3 for me.

Working the problem.

Bezoar23
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 14, 2014, 12:33 PM

New ver of iTunes no longer recognizes my older ipod (iPod Mini)
Mac User since 1993

Forum Links
Forum Rules