Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Forums: SuperDuper vs. TimeMachine debate continues

Forums: SuperDuper vs. TimeMachine debate continues
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Jul 18, 2014, 02:53 PM

The end of the week has been rather quiet in the MacNN forums, however forum members continue to debate the best way to backup data, with some saying SuperDuper (or "cloning" programs like it) are a better solution, others stating the best is Time Machine due to it highly self-regulating nature, and some taking the middle road with a "why not both?" approach. Earlier this week, Fresh-Faced Recruit "Rolando_jose" asked fellow forum-goers if it was possible to control Keynote using the Keynote remote from another iPad, for example, controlling the iPad Air with the iPad mini.

One Dedicated MacNNer has been having trouble with Outlook in Office 2011, and has turned to the forums looking for advice. Members continue to assist Grizzled Veteran "chasg" with determining why his iMac won't boot from an external disk. One Mac Elite suggested putting a sticky USB keyboard in a dishwasher and letting it dry thoroughly in order to deal with spills and getting dirt out, however no one has yet verified if this method really works.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Jul 18, 2014 at 08:08 PM. )

akent35
Banned
Jul 18, 2014, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by NewsPoster View Post
The end of the week has been rather quiet in the <em>MacNN</em> forums, however forum members continue to debate the best way to <a href="http://forums.macnn.com/82/applications/512095/backup-software/">backup data</a>, some saying SuperDuper is a better solution, others stating the best is Time Machine. Earlier this week Fresh-Faced Recruit "Rolando_jose" asked fellow forum goers if it was possible to <a href="http://forums.macnn.com/82/applications/512067/keynote-remote/">control Keynote</a> using the Keynote remote from another iPad, for example, controlling the iPad Air with the iPad mini. <br /><br />One Dedicated MacNNer has been having <a href="http://macnn.com/rd/314342==http://forums.macnn.com/82/applications/511945/outlook-help/" rel='nofollow'>trouble with Outlook</a> in Office 2011, and has turned to the forums looking for advice. Members continue to assist Grizzled Veteran "chasg" with determining why their <a href="http://macnn.com/rd/314343==http://forums.macnn.com/65/mac-desktops/511978/help-imac-not-booting-bootable-external/" rel='nofollow'>iMac won't boot</a> from an external disk. One Mac Elite suggested putting a <a href="http://macnn.com/rd/314344==http://forums.macnn.com/65/mac-desktops/511631/usb-keyboard-key-mis-types/" rel='nofollow'>sticky USB keyboard in a dishwasher</a> and letting it dry thoroughly in order to deal with spills and getting dirt out, however no one has yet verified if this method really works.
Once again, an "incomplete/inaccurate" post, as it pertains to me. I have already solved my Outlook issue. Also, for me, I have yet to say that Super Duper is a "better" solution as a general statement. It is better for me. I have also stated that Time Machine could be better for others. I just wish the "Automated Tool" for extracting information from these forums and posting it on Apple, Macintosh, iPod and iPhone news | MacNN was better.

Inkling
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 18, 2014, 03:48 PM

SuperDuper is better if you're worried about a hard disk crash. I had one that gave me enough time to save the document I was working on to a flash drive. Between that and my daily SuperDuper backup, I was back at work in about ten minutes. Time Machine is better if you suddenly want a file that you deleted a week or so before. SuperDuper won't take you back to before your last backup.
Author of Untangling Tolkien and Chesterton on War and Peace

markf21
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 20, 2014, 08:44 AM

I use Time Machine and Carbon Copy Cloner. I use Time Machine in conduction with TimeMachineEditor to allow once a day backups via Time Machine. Weekly I have CCC doing an incremental backup.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2014, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by akent35 View Post
Once again, an "incomplete/inaccurate" post, as it pertains to me. I have already solved my Outlook issue. Also, for me, I have yet to say that Super Duper is a "better" solution as a general statement. It is better for me. I have also stated that Time Machine could be better for others. I just wish the "Automated Tool" for extracting information from these forums and posting it on Apple, Macintosh, iPod and iPhone news | MacNN was better.
The only reason you think it's better for you is because you don't understand that it's not doing what you think it is.

Your cloning strategy is not backing up your data. It is just duplication of all the corruption and data loss you haven't discovered yet.

Cloning is great for instant recovery IN ADDITION to an actual data backup. Used on its own, it is not a backup strategy.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Jul 20, 2014, 12:14 PM

This is everybody's one warning. Name calling, either overt or passive, will not be tolerated on the news forum.

Before anybody hits submit on a post, be sure that it won't invoke the banhammer. If you think its even CLOSE, move on.

akent35
Banned
Jul 20, 2014, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
The only reason you think it's better for you is because you don't understand that it's not doing what you think it is.

Your cloning strategy is not backing up your data. It is just duplication of all the corruption and data loss you haven't discovered yet.

Cloning is great for instant recovery IN ADDITION to an actual data backup. Used on its own, it is not a backup strategy.
I do understand what Super Duper does, and what Time Machine does. Remember, Time Machine can also backup corrupt data. Yes, unless one runs Super Duper way more often (yes, it would be more labor intensive than Time Machine, at least in sponsored mode), Time Machine does allow one (not that easily, unless it happened since the last couple of Time Machine backups) to recover a non-corrupt version of the data.

The other thing is that I am not only using Super Duper on its' own as my backup strategy. And, Super Duper does backups. True, use of Onyx and Tech Tool Pro, and then Super Duper, is not necessarily ideal. But, for my purposes, it works. But, my backup strategy actually starts right after I do my backup. In fact, since I made my backups yesterday, I am already into that strategy now. That strategy works for me, especially as it pertains to corrupt information and data loss (have yet to have any of that, except, of course, when I have a complete hard drive failure).

Once again, I state that I am [b[minimizing[/b] data corruption as best as possible, by following my practices. It's not perfect, but so far, it has worked well for me. And, this "working well" has been going on for quite a long time.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2014, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by akent35 View Post
I do understand what Super Duper does, and what Time Machine does. Remember, Time Machine can also backup corrupt data. Yes, unless one runs Super Duper way more often (yes, it would be more labor intensive than Time Machine, at least in sponsored mode), Time Machine does allow one (not that easily, unless it happened since the last couple of Time Machine backups) to recover a non-corrupt version of the data.
You haven't EVER used Time Machine!

You find the document or location in the Finder, launch Time Machine, go to a backup, hit the space bar for Quick Look, and just move the time slider back until the document is intact. It literally takes SECONDS.

Seriously, your argumentation makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Yes, Time Machine will also back up corrupt data, but the point is that it will ALSO back up the previously INTACT data!

With cloning, you have ONLY the corrupt data — unless you make, say, a weekly clone and lock that away and never touch it again.

There is no way imaginable in which ONLY cloning is a "perfect" strategy for anybody UNLESS your data never changes!
(Say, I have a fixed production machine for live recording or for stage playback/live virtual instruments, so I set that up to "zero state" and clone that, twice. If something goes south, I can boot from the cloned drive and continue working within ten minutes.)

akent35
Banned
Jul 20, 2014, 03:26 PM

You haven't EVER used Time Machine!

You find the document or location in the Finder, launch Time Machine, go to a backup, hit the space bar for Quick Look, and just move the time slider back until the document is intact. It literally takes SECONDS.

Seriously, your argumentation makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Yes, Time Machine will also back up corrupt data, but the point is that it will ALSO back up the previously INTACT data!

With cloning, you have ONLY the corrupt data — unless you make, say, a weekly clone and lock that away and never touch it again.

There is no way imaginable in which ONLY cloning is a "perfect" strategy for anybody UNLESS your data never changes!
(Say, I have a fixed production machine for live recording or for stage playback/live virtual instruments, so I set that up to "zero state" and clone that, twice. If something goes south, I can boot from the cloned drive and continue working within ten minutes.)
Man, so many of you folks like to stick words in people's mouths! I NEVER, NEVER said my strategy was perfect. For the millionth time, I'll say it again: it is a strategy that works for me. I challenge you any anyone else to show me where I have EVER said my strategy was perfect. But, I can EASILY show folks like you (who cannot read) where I have stated that my strategy works for me.

At least you are accurate with part of your post, in that I have never used Time Machine. Yes, that is true. But, again how does one know EXACTLY which version of the file is non-corrupt?

My backup strategy (and don't stick the word perfect in my mouth! I am NOT saying it is perfect) works for me. I am comfortable with it, and my backups are fine.

If you are going to comment/dispute something I said, then make sure your statements are accurate. Hopefully, you (and others ) know what that means.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2014, 03:41 PM

You don't HAVE a backup strategy.

And you figure out which file version works by trying it.

In the case of text or other standard data files, Quick Look in the Finder works fine, as described.

akent35
Banned
Jul 20, 2014, 03:44 PM

You don't HAVE a backup strategy.

And you figure out which file version works by trying it.

In the case of text or other standard data files, Quick Look in the Finder works fine, as described.
Yes, I do, as it works for me.

Also, what's the matter? Why can't you find where I have ever used the word perfect in all this? Better yet, act like a man and admit your mistake.

Oh, I forgot, that is not like you. Sorry about that!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2014, 04:04 PM

It works because you haven't had a failure yet.

The point of a backup is to provide safety when something goes wrong.

You can't claim it's working until it needs to. Especially not when people (basically everybody else, in fact) point out the huge logical flaws in you procedure.

I'd also be very, very careful with those insults.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2014, 04:07 PM

Also, there is no reason to duplicate this discussion here below the article about the discussion. I'll stop here and move back to the thread, proper.

akent35
Banned
Jul 20, 2014, 04:18 PM

I am doing the same.

thebiggfrogg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 21, 2014, 11:39 AM

Wokka. Wokka!

Forum Links
Forum Rules