Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > New commercial debuts for MacBook Air, entitled 'Stickers'

New commercial debuts for MacBook Air, entitled 'Stickers'
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Jul 22, 2014, 12:53 AM

An new ad by Apple that debuted on Monday takes something of a different approach than the company's recent iPhone and iPad commercials -- both in that it features a Mac (in this case the MacBook Air) and that shows off clearly-used equipment featuring user's methods of customizing their Air models mostly through the use of stickers, giving the ad its name. Using a stop-motion approach, dozens of customized MBAs are shown at one point even "playing" a game of Space Invaders on the lid.

Most of the stickers play around, or with, the luminous Apple logo on the top of the unit. The keyboard, OS, screen and other features of the Air are never seen, as the point of the ad is to show that people enjoy their MBA so much they personalize, decorate and augment the lids to make it more "theirs" and reflect the owner's personality (as well as potentially deter theft). The tagline of the ad is "the notebook people love."

Among the icons that float by in the montage of MBA covers are Homer Simpson, Snow White, Walter White (from Breaking Bad), the Cookie Monster, the Peanuts gang, Batman, Pac-Man, the Tasmanian Devil, Wonder Woman, Hello Kitty (twice!), a number of band and clothing and other pop-culture stickies and more. Some are simply stickers (though one Beats logo was spotted), while some appear to be beautiful hand-created illustrations. The non-pristine nature of some of the covers indicates that they were not created for the ad, but were sourced from genuine owners and used with permission.

Towards the end of the ad, several variations on a "heart" around the Apple logo are shown to add punch to the tagline. The Air is finally swiveled around to show its thin side profile and then closed to reveal the tag. The music is also an unusual choice of "eight-bit" electronica rather than the usual less-intrusive music selections that generally accompany the iOS ads.

macjockey
Jul 22, 2014, 07:33 AM

maybe part of bringing the advertising creativity back inside the company?

Inkling
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 22, 2014, 09:10 AM

Cute but I feel about decorating the things you own about what I feel about tattoos. People who have poorly defined concepts of themselves use decoration in an attempt to feel distinctive. It's a 'fix' that fixes nothing. A computer is just a tool or a toy. Treat it as one. Don't ever raise it to the level of a pet. You'll be throwing it away in a few years anyway.
Author of Untangling Tolkien and Chesterton on War and Peace

carloblackmore
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 22, 2014, 09:17 AM

I would say this seems to bolster the theory that Apple is trying to refocus on a younger-minded audience – ala the Beats purchase.
And at the end, I love how often Apple continues to pay homage to their rainbow logo/branding.

bonaccij
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 22, 2014, 09:20 AM

@Inkling. I know plenty of people that aren't as fortunate as I am to get new equipment on the regular. They bond with their machines. I know one girl who, even after buying a brand new Air, just didn't have the heart to get rid of her white Macbook... she loved it. I don't think that people decorate these machines to prove something to themselves. I think they do it because they have formed a bond to the machine that has given them many, many hours of joy and pleasure. I don't see anything wrong with it. Would I do it? Never... but that's me.
In the end, it�s all about the composition.

carloblackmore
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 22, 2014, 09:42 AM

The song from the ad is called Chimes by Hudson Mohwak0, it's the only track available from an album that has a release date of September 30.

Rolando_jose
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 22, 2014, 10:08 AM

Hmmmm... cheap.

hayesk
Jul 22, 2014, 12:18 PM

@Inkling, you must be fun at parties. People move too, but that doesn't stop them from painting rooms in their house, or choosing what style of drapes they have. If you can't see why personalizing something they use everyday as a form of personal expression, that's your problem, not theirs. And FYI, I saw a young woman with a white plastic MacBook last week. And a relative of mine still uses a black plastic Macbook from 2006 and has no plans of replacing it in the near future. Not everyone is rich enough to buy a new Mac every few years.

Forum Links
Forum Rules