Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Sources call for Yosemite in late Oct., Retina MacBook, Mac with 4K

Sources call for Yosemite in late Oct., Retina MacBook, Mac with 4K
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Jul 23, 2014, 03:00 PM

OS X Yosemite -- which is going into public beta tomorrow -- should eventually ship in late October, sources claim. The present plan is reportedly to keep releasing new developer betas every two to three weeks through September 29th. Work should then shift to a gold master build, due October 10th. Final details, including a launch date, may be announced at Apple's October media event.

The sources also back rumors that Apple is working on a new, 12-inch Retina MacBook that will include an extremely thin and light aluminum body. It's in fact uncertain whether the machine will be classified as a Pro, Air, or something else, but Apple is said to believe that it represents an important step forward in laptops.

Apple is further claimed to be working on some form of 4K-capable Mac desktop hardware. That could take the form of a new iMac, but might also refer to a standalone monitor, presumably a new Thunderbolt Display. The timing of the new Mac hardware is believed to be no coincidence, given Yosemite. "Those [new Yosemite] interface elements appear especially optimized on higher-resolution screens, so it makes sense for us to debut new Retina Macs around the time of Yosemite's release," one source comments. The new Macs should ship in late Q3 or early Q4, but could be pushed into 2015 depending on Intel chip supplies and whether Apple needs internal resources to push more essential products out on time. Both iMovie and Final Cut Pro are expected to get updates for editing and import/export of 4K video.

Inkling
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 23, 2014, 03:49 PM

"Extremely thin and light" is silly. Fragile electronics like laptops must travel about in inch-thick padding anyway, so stripping away that additional 0.1 inch is just an artistic affectation. And light isn't much different. Someone who's traveling is moving their 180-pound body and perhaps 30 pounds of stuff anyway. A couple of ounces more or less doesn't matter. Of more concern are the reliability issues that thinness and lightness creates. Sadly, I suspect this is Ives trying to impress a small, elite cadre of fellow designers at the expense of people who'll actually use that MacBook Air. Call that "Art for the artist's sake."
Author of Untangling Tolkien and Chesterton on War and Peace

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2014, 04:06 PM

Padding is lighter than metal.

A few ounces over two hundred days of commuting a year is a big difference.

YMMV, but don't apply your scale of judgement to everybody else.

bobolicious
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 23, 2014, 04:56 PM

...while I look forward to the finer grain of 4k, my maturing eyesight still misses my 30" cinema display, and is enjoying a 17" mbp, as more of a portable desktop with its larger desktop area...

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Jul 23, 2014, 04:59 PM

I never thought I'd see the day, but I do all my work on a MacBook Pro.

That said, I do miss my towers.

Ham Sandwich
Jul 23, 2014, 06:35 PM

12" Macbook is possible... if you just take the 11" Macbook and extend the screen all the way to the very edge of the unibody frame... which they should also do with the 13" Macbook Airs to make a 14" display. Until they do that the frame around the screen is space that could be used for more screen real-estate. In fact, Apple ought to do this with their Pro MacBooks as well so you have a 16" display. And do the same with their phones... and their watches... and then with their desktop displays...

DiabloConQueso
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 23, 2014, 07:24 PM

But not the iPad?

Ham Sandwich
Jul 24, 2014, 08:31 AM

I didn't even mention the iPad. Where did I say they couldn't do that with the iPad?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 24, 2014, 09:44 AM

The iPad needs a bezel for holding.

Apple would rather make the 'Books smaller than increase display size.

DiabloConQueso
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 24, 2014, 09:58 AM

"I didn't even mention the iPad. Where did I say they couldn't do that with the iPad?"

...that was the joke I was trying to make.

Grendelmon
Senior User
Jul 24, 2014, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Padding is lighter than metal.

A few ounces over two hundred days of commuting a year is a big difference.
:rolling eyes:

You're kidding, right?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 24, 2014, 02:27 PM

You've been around long enough to remember how some people were arguing that the space and weight savings of the retina models weren't worth it? People were even arguing that about the MacBook Airs.

Forum Links
Forum Rules