Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Skype suddenly blocks users with OS X 10.5 or earlier

Skype suddenly blocks users with OS X 10.5 or earlier
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Aug 7, 2014, 01:11 PM

Microsoft-owned Skype has, without warning, cut off support for users with OS X 10.5 (Leopard) or earlier, reports say. The company has given instructions on how to update the client software, but users say they don't appear to fix the problem. A spokesperson explains that the company doesn't "currently have a build that OS X Leopard (10.5) users could use."

Apple itself no longer supports Leopard, which first came out in 2007, and lacks a number of now-standard OS X features such as the Mac App Store. Apple is selling upgrades to Snow Leopard for $20, but that won't help older PowerPC-based Macs that don't meet system requirements.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Aug 10, 2014 at 12:28 AM. )

Inkling
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 7, 2014, 01:36 PM

Sigh, I'm actually running a new version of OS X, but this is yet another addition to my long list of reasons not to use Skype. At times, I get the impression Skype/Microsoft executives want to drive away their Mac customers.
Author of Untangling Tolkien and Chesterton on War and Peace

bjojade
Aug 7, 2014, 02:04 PM

I don't think this is a Skype specific issue. Many software titles are requiring current OS's to run.

burger
Forum Regular
Aug 7, 2014, 03:04 PM

Shedding OS support is fine, but is generally preceded with an announcement to allow users to plan for it.

robynsjw
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2014, 04:02 PM

Prevent it from phoning home. http://community.skype.com/t5/Mac/My-solution-to-continue-using-Skype-2-8-on-older-OS-X-Lion-etc/td-p/3454441. Modify your hosts file (be very careful, hosing this can prevent you from getting anywhere on the internet). Launch Terminal, then type
sudo nano /private/etc/hosts

Use the arrow keys to go to the bottom of that list and add (with a tab between them):
ui.skype.com 127.0.0.1
Then Control-o, Return, Control-x, and quit from Terminal.
If you can't save at the Control-o step, you'll need an administrator for your Mac to do this.
Note: this works for most versions but did not work for 5.8.0.865 for me, don't know why.
Modifying the hosts file like this works for Windoze boxes too.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2014, 04:48 PM

OS X 10.5.x is no longer secure to be on the Internet anyway, particularly if one wants to use Flash or Java, so really this is just as well. For the few people remaining still on PowerPC machines, I'd recommend repurposing that machine for non-Internet use.

Those with Intel-based 10.5.x machines can of course upgrade to 10.6.8 for $20 and still be reasonably secure from threats for the short-term, but really this is just another (albeit rudely abrupt) sign that the train has left the station -- the last machines with 10.5.x native on them was seven years ago -- it's time to get yourself a new(er) computer.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

chucker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2014, 07:51 PM

hey chas, what if we like our computers and don't like force obsolescence?

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Aug 7, 2014, 09:02 PM

Chas is actually on your side. That said, using a PPC on the Internet can't be considered forced obsolescence.

MS's arbitrary block of 10.5 has no meaning, and they just did it out of spite. I can see them saying "hey, on the next update, you're out of luck" but this was just a douche move.

Forum Links
Forum Rules