Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Disney latest victim of Amazon DVD pre-order denial

Disney latest victim of Amazon DVD pre-order denial
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Aug 9, 2014, 11:28 AM

Amazon's latest target for hard-line contract negotiation tactics appears to be Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment. Amazon has pulled nearly every disc-based pre-order option from the studio's upcoming titles, including Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Maleficient, and Muppets Most Wanted.

Similar to the dispute with Warner Home Video in May and June, and the ongoing battle with book publisher Hachette, users are being informed to "sign up to be notified when this item becomes available." DVD titles from other vendors expected in the same August through October timetable can still be preordered.

Amazon Instant Video versions of the Disney titles can still be preordered, at a similar price to the disc version. This mirrors the battle with Warner Home Video, which also limited disc-based pre-orders, but still allowed digital pre-orders.

Neither Amazon nor Disney have any comment on the issue.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Aug 13, 2014 at 05:30 PM. )

Inkling
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 9, 2014, 01:18 PM

Watch for it. Tthe silly Amazon fan-boys who've be blasting Hachette for daring to resist The One, will now be bad-mouthing Disney too.
Author of Untangling Tolkien and Chesterton on War and Peace

chimaera
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 9, 2014, 01:56 PM

Disney: $9.6 billion profit, $81 billion assets.
Amazon: $0.7 billion profit, $40 billion assets.

If this is what it's like to be a victim, can I be one too?

(2013 financials from wikipedia)

prl99
Senior User
Aug 9, 2014, 02:23 PM

I'm surprised Amazon's actions haven't brought some Congressional action. Oh wait, Amazon can't do any wrong and they are saving money for the consumers. When you look at Amazon's assets you should see a pattern. Even though they only had $0.7B in profits, it's the assets that mean everything for a startup company (Amazon isn't that old). They are keeping profits low while building themselves into an empire that is killing competitors and forcing everyone to use them. Sounds like a monopoly to me.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Aug 9, 2014, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by chimaera View Post
Disney: $9.6 billion profit, $81 billion assets.
Amazon: $0.7 billion profit, $40 billion assets.

If this is what it's like to be a victim, can I be one too?

(2013 financials from wikipedia)
The profits are really a red herring in this bit -- the Amazon behavior, using its dominant position in the market and preventing pre-sales on its marketplace, is the key.

rvhernandez
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2014, 05:35 PM

This is easy, if I cann't "preorder" then they are no different than the Best Buy down the street that price matches Amazon anyway. I'll just go to BB on release day and buy it. Slowly, I am finding it less compelling to buy from Amazon anyway. I'm starting to look elsewhere first and only buy from Amazon as a last resort, whereas they used to be my first. Amazon is turning EVIL.

gor3donq
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2014, 10:19 PM

chimaera: You do realize that Disney is NOT JUST a movie studio. That profit includes TV, Parks, Music, ruining Miley Cyrus' life and career, etc. So you can't compare earnings between the two like you are. And you seriously calling Amazon a victim?

James Katt
Aug 10, 2014, 01:53 PM

Amazon is acting like the Monopoly it is. The Justice Department Prosecutors are simply idiots who cannot see this.

b9bot
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 11, 2014, 11:36 PM

Boycott Amazon the Monopoly and show the idiots at the DOJ where to look!

Forum Links
Forum Rules