Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Rumor: iPhone 6 may support 150Mbps LTE-A

Rumor: iPhone 6 may support 150Mbps LTE-A
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Aug 19, 2014, 09:31 AM

Continuing a series of rumors, Chinese repair firm GeekBar is claiming that the iPhone 6 will also use a Qualcomm MDM9625 modem, which supports LTE-A, but only up to 150Mbps. That would be an improvement over the 100Mbps limit in the iPhone 5s, but only half the full potential of LTE-A, which is 300Mbps. Carriers across the world are only just beginning to deploy LTE-A-compatible networks, so Apple may not be worried about maximizing speeds within the expected life-cycle of the iPhone 6.

Apple is expected to announce new iPhone models early next month, possibly on September 9. The iPhone 6's main features are expected to be a larger screen and a faster processor, but there have also been reports indicating camera and battery improvements, and possibly the addition of NFC support.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Aug 21, 2014 at 04:33 AM. )

RobOnTheCape
Senior User
Aug 19, 2014, 10:00 AM

Regarding the new iPhones, I'm about at the point that I am with my Mac laptop, they are both more than fast enough for all that I need to do, and see little reason to upgrade. As I use my iphone camera a lot for work and just for fun, I could see myself upgrading to the 6S(or whatever they end up calling it) when my present contract expires.

yticolev
Forum Regular
Aug 19, 2014, 10:12 AM

Concerned about maximizing speed? Well of course, but limited by available chipsets. As networks get faster, Qualcomm will make chips that can handle the speed and manufacturers such as Apple will deploy them. Concerned is a strange slant on a very minor story.

RobOnTheCape
Senior User
Aug 19, 2014, 10:37 AM

Regarding the new iPhones, I'm about at the point that I am with my Mac laptop, they are both more than fast enough for all that I need to do, and see little reason to upgrade. As I use my iphone camera a lot for work and just for fun, I could see myself upgrading to the 6S(or whatever they end up calling it) when my present contract expires just for any significant camera upgrades.

pairof9s
Senior User
Aug 19, 2014, 12:18 PM

My biggest reason for upgrading is the increased real estate, RobOnTheCape. These 50+ yr old eyes need to the bigger text and thus the bigger 4.7 inch space to handle as such. It's the very reason I gave serious testing of the HTC One (hands down my choice on the Android side).

I'm like you in that I question the reason at this stage to continue to upgrade yearly, but this one improvement will be worth it for me personally.

bjojade
Aug 19, 2014, 12:50 PM

There are a few things about my phone that I'd like to see upgraded. Speed of downloads is very far down on the list.

In order of importance:

1. Battery life. Make me a device that will last 24 hours between charges, no matter what I'm doing on it.
2. Durability. Make it so I can drop it once in a while and it doesn't break.
3. Wireless. Why do I have to plug in a Lightning cable to charge it? Let me set it on my nightstand already!

Most of the people I talk to agree that these are areas that need improvement more than anything else. While they aren't as sexy of specs, they would make for a much better product.

TheGreatButcher
Senior User
Aug 19, 2014, 01:59 PM

What good are these speeds if we're subjected to ridiculously low data caps?

jdonahoe
Forum Regular
Aug 19, 2014, 03:44 PM

When I saw that "limitation" on data speed, all I could think of was how nice it would be if I could occasionally get close to the maximum on the 4S. These maximum speeds will probably never hit any of the areas I'll ever travel, so why would I care if I'm only going to get half the potential maximum.

Reliable connection, yes. Maximum speed, meh!

Forum Links
Forum Rules