Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Parallels Desktop 10 launches with Yosemite support, speed boosts

Parallels Desktop 10 launches with Yosemite support, speed boosts
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Aug 20, 2014, 08:28 AM

Parallels today launched Parallels Desktop 10 for Mac and Parallels Desktop 10 for Mac Enterprise Edition, its virtualization solution for Windows applications on Macs. New built-in intelligence and support for Apple's latest operating systems, including OS X Yosemite, is said by the company to improve ease-of-use for both business users and consumers. It also brings many of the announced features of Mac OS X Yosemite to Windows and Windows applications, supporting iCloud Drive, iMessages and SMS text sharing from Windows, and control of virtual machines from Spotlight preview and Finder QuickLook.

The new revision supports OS X 10.7 and up, and virtualization solutions include Windows 8, Windows 7, Chrome OS, Android and a number of Linux operating systems. Notably absent for this revision is support for Windows XP.

Key features of the new revision, besides Yosemite support, include the opening of Windows documents up to 48 percent faster, an extension of battery life for users of the software by up to 30 percent, up to 10 percent less RAM usage, Microsoft Office 2013 application launch up to 50 percent faster, and better optimization storage for the virtual machine. The new core of Parallels supports 16 virtual CPUs, and up to 64GB of RAM per virtual machine.

Parallels Desktop 10 for Mac is available now, as an upgrade for current Parallels Desktop for Mac users. The full version will be available to new customers starting August 26. One source from Parallels told us over Twitter that there are no plans on upgrading version 9 to support Yosemite. Another source, also inside the company, contradicts the claim, saying that "Parallels Desktop 9 will have support for Yosemite when it is publicly available, but any older versions will not."

The program costs $80, with the Student Edition is available for $40. Upgrades for existing Parallels Desktop 8 or 9 for Mac customers are $50. Parallels Desktop 10 for Mac customers receive a complimentary three-month subscription to the Parallels Access app for up to five Macs and PCs, and an unlimited number of iOS and Android mobile devices.

( Last edited by NewsPoster; Aug 22, 2014 at 04:33 AM. )

ElectroTech
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 20, 2014, 10:18 AM

Apple gives us a free OS upgrade and Parallels forces us to pay $50 to upgrade? I upgraded last time and that will be the last upgrade. If Parallels isn't patched Yosemite for free, I will be using any of the other alternatives and will NEVER use Parallels again. I will encourage all my friends and contacts to switch also.

Goodbye Parallels.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Aug 20, 2014, 10:22 AM

I'm reasonably sure that there won't be a Parallels 9 upgrade for Yosemite, but we have reached out to Parallels for an answer.

djbeta
Aug 20, 2014, 10:23 AM

Yeah... agreed. $50 to UPGRADE a sub-$100 product is harsh. $29 I could live with.

pairof9s
Senior User
Aug 20, 2014, 10:41 AM

OMG...I made a sarcastic comment about just this on here yesterday when DP 9 wouldn't work w/ Yosemite...and now they made it a reality!!! This company is beyond reproach. It's why I gave up on them w/ version 7.

If you have the fortitude, you can use the free VirtualBox, or try the VMWare Fusion which is on par w/ Parallels.

www.macnn.com/articles/14/08/19/workaround.involves.manually.launching.dispatcher. service/

sibeale1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2014, 11:31 AM

"Apple gives us a free OS upgrade and Parallels forces us to pay $50 to upgrade? " Well, Apple can give away upgrades because it makes money from hardware. Parallels has no hardware income to offset the costs of maintaining its software, ergo they have to charge for upgrades.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Aug 20, 2014, 01:07 PM

Okay- conflicting information from within the company. One source says Yosemite support will be added to 9 when the Apple release is complete, and the other says that it won't.

I guess we'll all see together.
( Last edited by Mike Wuerthele; Aug 20, 2014 at 01:26 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules