Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Apple releases second public OS X Yosemite beta, new iTunes 12 test

Apple releases second public OS X Yosemite beta, new iTunes 12 test
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Aug 21, 2014, 02:34 PM

Participants in the OS X Beta Program can now download a second public beta of OS X Yosemite via the Mac App Store. Changes are unlisted, but since it's following just a few days after the release of Developer Preview 6, it presumably incorporates that code's fixes and feature additions. Apple is believed to be building towards a final launch of Yosemite in October, which could mean one or two more public betas in the interim.

Apple is meanwhile also seeding a new beta of iTunes 12, identified as build 97. The v12 software is a substantial upgrade over its predecessor, with a "flattened" interface better suited to Yosemite, and streamlining designed to make browsing libraries and playlists easier. It also enables Family Sharing -- likewise featured in iOS 8 -- and a new Get Info window.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Aug 26, 2014 at 04:36 AM. )

Ham Sandwich
Aug 21, 2014, 07:00 PM

Got a lot of new icons in System Prefs and the battery icon...

not crazy about the text in Finder's multi-column view being more "ragged" looking in beta 2 vs. beta 1 (at least on a non-retina display).

EDIT: I am SO GLAD they brought back Command-Shift-left arrow to highlight lines of text for long folder names. Having to use only Option-Shift-left arrow felt so much like Windows.
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Aug 22, 2014 at 08:05 AM. )

jsnowbordr47
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2014, 02:44 PM

Is it a whole new download and installation or is it an update? Sounded like its a new download and install process... I'll just have to do it when I get home from work tonight.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Aug 22, 2014, 03:00 PM

We've got a staffer who did it yesterday, I'll try to get him to chime in.

Ham Sandwich
Aug 23, 2014, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by jsnowbordr47 View Post
Is it a whole new download and installation or is it an update? Sounded like its a new download and install process... I'll just have to do it when I get home from work tonight.
It's kind of both, like, you download the software, it'll ask you to restart your computer, but before it restarts, you'll get a gray screen and then a box saying (I think) Installing Software, which takes a few minutes, and then your computer will restart, and then it'll take another few minutes and then you'll be done.

I still have no desire to go back to 10.9

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 24, 2014, 05:39 AM

That's the way all system updates have worked for a few years now.

Ron Goodman
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 26, 2014, 01:08 PM

How do I download the beta for a second computer? I'm told that my redemption code has already been used.

Kees
Aug 26, 2014, 02:20 PM

@ Ron: check under purchases in the App store

Ron Goodman
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 26, 2014, 04:22 PM

Thanks, found it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules