Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Dell teases world's first 27-inch 5K computer monitor

Dell teases world's first 27-inch 5K computer monitor
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Sep 4, 2014, 04:08 PM

At today's Dell Business event, the Texas manufacturer showed off a pair of new displays. The first, a 55-inch widescreen display, delivers full HD (1080p) resolution and is intended for teleconferencing. Additionally, the company previewed its Dell UltraSharp 27-inch Ultra HD 5K monitor, the world's first display with 5120x2880 Ultra HD "5K" resolution.

Ultra HD 5K is equivalent to four times the resolution of QHD, and seven times the resolution of Full HD. Dell PremierColor and the anti-smudge and anti-reflective edge-to-edge glass design help with color accuracy and picture quality for color-critical work. The new monitor also has a pair of 16W integrated Harmon Kardon speakers. Connectivity is provided by six USB ports of unspecified speed, and one media card reader to seamlessly connect with a wide range of other peripherals. The Dell UltraSharp 27 Ultra HD 5K Monitor is USD $2,500, and will be available in the fourth quarter of this year.

The Dell 55-inch monitor is intended to be paired with the Chromebox for a meetings videoconferencing solution that the company offers, but will work with any computer or device with a HDMI connector. It features 3000:1 contrast and 1920x1080 resolution. Pricing is not yet available.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Sep 16, 2014 at 03:55 AM. )

ElectroTech
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 4, 2014, 04:43 PM

Wow! It's a Dell! I wonder if it is a cheap POS like their other products?

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Sep 4, 2014, 04:47 PM

I personally have been very happy with Dell's monitors.

chimaera
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 4, 2014, 05:19 PM

I read somewhere that Dell introduces monitors with excellent panels, gets the good reviews, then switches to cheaper panels for later production runs. If true (and I've never bought a Dell monitor) you'll get a good one if you buy from the first batch.

thinkman
Sep 4, 2014, 06:31 PM

If "chimaera" is right, that's a pretty scary thought, not just with Dell, but perhaps industry wide!

DiabloConQueso
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 4, 2014, 06:35 PM

So we're measuring resolution by the horizontal pixel quantity now, not vertical pixel quantity?

Whatever makes the number seem "better," I guess. How convenient for widescreen TV/monitor display makers.

Hell, you could call a 10,000 x 120 monitor a "10k" monitor and blow all of them out of the water. "TWICE THE HD RESOLUTION DENSITY PIXEL GOODNESS THAN A 5K MONITOR!! BUY NOW, SUPPLIES ARE LIMITED!"

Ham Sandwich
Sep 4, 2014, 06:47 PM

The lack of a convergent standard for UHD displays is driving me crazy!

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2014, 07:24 PM

To answer Diablo's question, yes 4K and up monitors are measured by horizontal resolution, though in order to be called truly 4K or 5K it must have a corresponding vertical resolution for 16:9 or 16:10 ratio. Yes its annoying, but probably done for marketing reasons: "5K" sounds a lot better than "not quite 3K!"
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

rtamesis
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 4, 2014, 08:04 PM

Frankly I'm getting tired if waiting for a 4K Apple Cinema Display. I hope that that is part of next week's announcements from Apple.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2014, 09:35 PM

I wouldn't hold my breath on that. A 4K Apple Cinema Display is considered a "pro" item and not generally announced for the holidays. Perhaps early next year.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Truthsayer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2014, 05:06 AM

If anyone had been holding their breath for a new 4K monitor from Apple following the launch of the new Mac Pro last year, they wouldn't be breathing anymore...

Ham Sandwich
Sep 5, 2014, 10:38 AM

Why not a 2:1 aspect ratio? 4096 x 2048 is simple enough.

Forum Links
Forum Rules