Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Opinion: Why a larger iPad makes sense

Opinion: Why a larger iPad makes sense
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Sep 5, 2014, 09:17 PM

Rumors recently surfaced again that Apple could be planning to introduce a larger iPad, perhaps up to 12.9-inches in size and as early as the first quarter of 2015. This could well go a long way to making the iPad an excellent Office-style productivity tool, with particular appeal to enterprise. Even though the iPad has been a resounding success since its introduction in late 2010 with over 224 million sold, third quarter sales figures for 2014 saw a 9 percent decline, which Apple CEO Tim Cook downplayed as a 'speed bump.' We recently looked at the question of iPad productivity now that Microsoft Office is available for the platform when coupled. Even when combined with a nicely designed product like the Logitech Keyboard Folio for iPad Air, the current 9.7-inch model when used in that way is not ideal.

When Apple introduced the iPad in late 2010, it pitched the device as fitting a niche somewhere between the functionality of a smartphone and the full functionality of a notebook. It did not necessarily intend, at least at the outset, that the iPad would be a notebook replacement. Yet, as many people and organizations have discovered, the iPad can replace a notebook in many instances, facilitating all kinds of productivity and creativity. Apple's recent series of ads highlighting asking "What will your verse be?" illustrates this perfectly. However, as Microsoft has been pointing out lately with its ads for the new Surface Pro 3, its tablet/notebook hybrid does a better (if not perfect) job of replacing a both a notebook and tablet with one device; which shouldn't be surprising as that is its raison d'etre.

Despite its design edge in delivering Office-style productivity in a tablet form factor (and despite its traditional dominance in enterprise), Microsoft's Surface has thus far failed to make anywhere near the kinds of inroads that Apple has made in enterprise with the iPad. As Apple recently noted, about 98 percent of Fortune 500 companies have adopted the iPad. This, coupled with its landmark deal with IBM to develop tailored software solutions for businesses based around the iPad augers well for the iPad's continued success. Yet, while there are plenty of legitimate and beneficial uses for a light-weight, compact and portable device such as the iPad as a productivity device in many workplace contexts, at 9.7-inches the iPad may not be the optimal size.

The Incase Origami workstation makes use of Apple's full-size wireless keyboard

As I pointed out in our piece on the iPad productivity equation, the problem with keyboard folios designed for Office-style productivity on the iPad that they feature 'full size keys;' this is not to be confused with a 'full size keyboard.' This is nicely illustrated by the combination of Incase Origami workstation for the Apple Wireless Keyboard and any 9.7-inch iPad as you can see pictured. Even though the Origami case has been around nearly as long as the iPad has been on the market, it works very well as it utilizes Apple's full size keyboard. This makes it much more comfortable when using the iPad as a productivity tool. It might not be as nicely integrated as the Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Folio, but it makes typing large amounts of text on the iPad much more comfortable.

Logitech Keyboard Folio for iPad - beautifully integrated, but keyboard is cramped

The Microsoft Surface Pro 3 has been the best received of Microsoft's Surface devices to date, despite the fact that is slightly less compact than in the past. Its display jumped from 10.6-inches (16:9 aspect ratio) to a 12-inch (3:2 aspect ratio) making its overall dimensions more in line with an ultrabook, noticeably lighter at 1.76 pounds (800g). While Apple may not bring full Mac OS X compatibility to a larger iPad, it makes a lot of sense to create a larger iPad for which third-party vendors could create integrated full-size keyboard solutions. In fact, it could also prompt Apple to release its own integrated keyboard folio solution as well; it seems reluctant to do so at this point in time as these types of solutions are not particularly comfortable when hooked up to a 9.7-inch iPad.

Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 12.2 multitasking

Of course the weight of a larger 12.9-inch iPad will be important if it is going to be a success. Microsoft has managed to increase the size of its Surface Pro 3, while at the same time managing to make it lighter than Surface Pro. There is no reason to think that Apple can't continue to make its iPad range lighter in time. Apple is thought to have invested in carbon fiber to help reduce the overall weight of its iPads and other MacBooks. Yet, even without pursuing this path, it was still able to substantially reduce the weight of the iPad Air over preceding generations. Importantly, such an iPad will still be lighter than most ultrabooks, and therefore offer tremendous appeal to users who routinely carry both a MacBook and an iPad with them. If this cannibalizes MacBook sales, it is better that it is Apple doing the cannibalizing instead of potentially losing sales to a rival.

Larger Surface Pro 3 display makes more room for keyboard and touchpad

While people can make all sorts of arguments for why the Microsoft Surface product line has so far failed to set sales charts on fire, there could well be strong demand for a larger iPad that can be better integrated with a full size keyboard when Office-style productivity is required. A larger iPad could be just what Apple needs to help regain sustainable momentum in iPad sales above and beyond any bump that will inevitably come with the launch of new 7.9-inch and 9.7-inch iPads in the next couple of months. A larger iPad could also appeal to families as well as enterprise users, as there are plenty of apps out there that Apple has promoted as socially oriented 'huddle' apps for families and friends to congregate around. Those who have made a habit of toting both a MacBook and iPad might also find that a larger iPad makes a lot of sense, even if it doesn't completely bridge the divide between a tablet and a notebook.

Evidence has also emerged that Apple is prepping split screen multitasking in iOS 8. While the 9.7-inch iPad is large enough to support this functionality, it would make even more sense on a larger iPad. Samsung has already introduced this capability on its tablet and smartphone line, while the Microsoft's Surface has also come into its own in this regard since the update to Windows 8.1. There is little doubt that enterprise users would love this type of functionality in an iPad as well. Further, as developers have proven with the original iPad, if Apple gives them the additional screen real-estate to work with, they will find new and innovative ways to use the canvas. It is quite likely that the introduction of a larger iPad could spur the next wave of creativity in software innovation for the iOS platform.

Against this backdrop, a larger iPad makes a lot of sense, even if it will primarily address the enterprise market. Would you like to see Apple introduce a larger iPad?

By Sanjiv Sathiah
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Sep 6, 2014 at 04:15 AM. )

billmboy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 6, 2014, 12:24 AM

I have problem with Apple developing anything like that for the enterprise market as its main focus. They don't need to sell 10 of millions of a MAC Pro's like they would need to do with an iPad and I don't see the masses buying a 12" iPad. To heavy, tiring to hold and hard to easily transport, An 11" & 13" Macbook air fills the need better. I love my 13" Macbook Air. And with Dropbox Pro for 10 bucks a month. My New iPad (iPad 3) serves me well and if a 5+ " iPhone is true I may never buy another iPad.

billmboy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 6, 2014, 12:25 AM

I have problem with Apple developing anything like that for the enterprise market as its main focus. They don't need to sell 10's of millions of a MAC Pro's like they would need to do with an iPad and I don't see the masses buying a 12" iPad. To heavy, tiring to hold and hard to easily transport, An 11" & 13" Macbook air fills the need better. I love my 13" Macbook Air. And with Dropbox Pro for 10 bucks a month. My New iPad (iPad 3) serves me well and if a 5+ " iPhone is true I may never buy another iPad.

coffeetime
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 6, 2014, 08:57 AM

Larger iPad is unnecessary. Just like the once hyped NetBook. Window's Surface Pro 3 that is marketed as laptop replacement is going to be a flop. No need to follow MS footstep. People are either go to work with their laptop or having fun with their tablet. The in-between like Surface Pro 3 is in an odd position. iPad is 90% for fun and 10% for work. Macbook Air is 90% for work and 10% for fun.

Inkling
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 6, 2014, 10:00 AM

I doubt it makes sense for a touch-pad tablet to replace a laptop for Office-like productivity apps. That's a bit like trying to adapt to compact car into a pickup truck. Where this larger iPad makes sense is for graphics-intensive work where tablets are already wonderfully productive, work where a pen and ruler are more useful than a keyboard. There a larger screen will be a great boon, particularly when joined with Adobe's marvelous Ink & Slide devices: http://www.adobe.com/products/ink-and-slide.html
Author of Untangling Tolkien and Chesterton on War and Peace

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Sep 6, 2014, 11:41 AM

I'm willing to bet that any 12-inch iPad will weigh less than the original iPad did.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2014, 09:38 PM

I do love my Incase Origami (thanks for showing off one!), and enjoy using a full-size keyboard with an iPad, but with the MacBook Air in existence (and likely to get thinner/lighter over time), I'm not sure I see the point of a 12.9-inch iPad. The existing hybrid laptop/tablets haven't done well, and the Clamcase has failed to set the world on fire either. Dell already makes an 18-inch (yes, 18-inch) tablet -- one guess how popular that's turned out to be.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Sanjiv Sathiah
Sep 6, 2014, 11:49 PM

Hey Chas - the Incase Origami is an excellent product. While Apple will inevitably create a thinner and lighter MacBook Air models, there are plenty of people that love the all-touch UI of the iPad - a larger iPad does not necessarily mean that Apple will create a hybrid device - it is quite likely that such a larger iPad would still primarily be a touch-first device. The fact that these types of accessories for the iPad are very popular shows that there are plenty of users who like to use the iPad with a keyboard when they are not using it as a pure tablet. The point of referencing the Surface is to point out the advantage of having a larger device from the point of view of packaging it with a full-size keyboard accessory. The additional screen real-estate it would offer would definitely appeal to enterprise users, who still love the iPad, its app ecosystem, and overall portability.
( Last edited by Sanjiv Sathiah; Sep 7, 2014 at 06:20 PM. )
Electronista Staff

coffeetime
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 7, 2014, 08:17 AM

Oh.... one more thing. Split screen makes sense. It drives me crazy switching apps back and forth when I want to take notes from a research.

sidewaysdesign
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 8, 2014, 07:13 AM

It only makes sense to fill a notable gap in their product lineup (just like a larger iPhone). Even if they don't sell like hotcakes, it takes away any argument of selecting another platform entirely.

Of course they will run the risk of having too large a product lineup, but with the (to Apple, at least) unexpected success of 'phablets', it's a safe move. More so with their IBM enterprise deal in place.

And personally, I'd love to read a genuine magazine on a larger iPad, instead of a pinch, zoom and slide discovery exercise.

Truthsayer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 8, 2014, 07:18 AM

@sidewaysdesign. Totally agree with you on the need to fill a gap in their product lineup - for Apple, not "selling like hotcakes" might still equate to another billion dollars to the bottom line at the least. I also totally agree with you on the desire to read a genuine magazine on a larger iPad - that would be a pleasure in and of itself!

Forum Links
Forum Rules