Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Apple announces 4.7-, 5.5-inch iPhone 6 models

Apple announces 4.7-, 5.5-inch iPhone 6 models
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Sep 9, 2014, 01:20 PM

As expected, Apple has formally debuted the long-speculated 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus models at its press event this morning in Cupertino. The new models will take their place as the flagship phones, featuring much higher pixel count of one million pixels (for the iPhone 6, a 1334x750 resolution @ 326ppi) and two million pixels (for the 6 Plus, a Full HD 1920x1080 resolution @ 401ppi). The new iPhones are both thinner than any previous model, at 6.9mm and 7.1mm, respectively, and come with up to 128GB capacity.

The new 20-nanometer A8 processor powering the devices is 13 percent smaller than the previous A7, yet 25 percent faster. Apple's Phil Schiller told the audience that in just six generations since the original iPhone, the new models are both 50 times faster than the first model, yet use 50 percent less energy. The graphics are said to be 84 times faster than the original model. Battery life is said to be equal or better -- even in the larger iPhone 6 Plus -- to the iPhone 5s. Indeed, the 6 Plus seems to have a significantly larger battery, allowing for notable improvements in every area in terms of normal-use battery life.

The new models also offer a next-generation M8 motion processor that adds elevation through a barometer, and coordinates even more closely with the gyroscope and accelerometer than before for more precise monitoring of activity. The iPhone 6 line now offers 20 LTE bands (more than any other current phone) and supports VoLTE (initially supported by T-Mobile, other partners coming). The camera on the new models features phase-detection focus technology to allow it to focus twice as quickly, along with noise reduction and other post-processing, along with up to 43-megapixel panoramas (nearly double the previous resolution of panoramas). The lens aperture is now set at 2.2ƒ and uses 1.5u pixels, and features a new "Display Zoom" for larger icons and easier-to-read text.

The company is also making advances in video capture, using the technology to produce better-stabilized and in-focus video, along with slow-motion video at 120fps and even 240fps. It can also do continuous autofocus based on face detection, and now time-lapse videos can be created.

The front glass does not appear to be, as some had speculated, sapphire glass. It is unclear if the display is a new glass creation, or an enhanced version of the previously-used Gorilla Glass. The display is said to include higher contrast, dual‑domain pixels for more accurate color at wider viewing angles, and an improved polarizer that combine to form what the company calls a "Retina HD" display.

The precise measurements and weights of the new models are: 5.44 inches by 2.64 inches by 0.27 inches and a weight of 4.55 ounces for the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 (138.1mm x 67mm x 6.9mm with a weight of 129 grams), and 6.22 inches by 3.06 inches by 0.28 inches and a weight of 6.07 ounces for the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Plus (158.1mm x 77.8mm x 7.1mm with a weight of 172 grams).

The iPhone 6 will cost $199 (16GB), $299 (64GB) or $399 (128GB) on a two-year contract, while the iPhone 6 Plus will cost $299 (16GB), $399 (64GB) or $499 (128GB). As expected, the iPhone 5s will move to the middle-tier position and sell for $99 with contract, and a new 8GB iPhone 5c will take the lower-tier spot -- replacing the iPhone 4S -- and be free with contract.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Sep 9, 2014 at 07:27 PM. )

dprimary
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2014, 01:57 PM

So the 5s is the end of the road for iPhones that actually fit in your pocket. If I have carry it around just add phone capabilities to the iPad and I will use a bluetooth headset.

azrich
Forum Regular
Sep 9, 2014, 01:57 PM

Wow, looks like the leaks and rumors from them were dead on. Expect to hear a fair amount of whining about specs. The larger one has a 1080p screen, I don't think that got out but a lot of what was announced was already out, including the 128GB option.

aviamquepasa
Sep 9, 2014, 02:11 PM

Not bad, but it should not be a number 6, it should be a 5 ss, it is just a small improvement...

jwdsail
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2014, 03:58 PM

I'd have rather they kept the size of the 5 for the 6 and used 4.7" for the 6 Plus... I have no interest in a 5.5" Fablet.. I probably could grow to tolerate the 4.7"... Hate seeing Apple chase after what pundits are saying re: phone size.. I don't personally know ONE person that wants a bigger iPhone.. Better battery? Sure. Better camera, yup.. Bigger? um, nope.

gskibum3
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2014, 04:16 PM

Agreed jwdsail. The compact size of the iPhone is one of the main features that appeals to me!

FrackingCylon1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2014, 04:18 PM

No talk about a pre-order date? Just a mad rush on Sept 19? My wife and I will be happy with the 4.7 inch size. A little more room for the on-screen keys will be nice; better video and photos, awesome. Too bad they didn't just make the 32GB the starting point, I'd be happy with that. Now I have to move to the 64GB because you can't do much with 16GB these days.

FrackingCylon1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2014, 04:20 PM

BTW, much happier with Apple going back to the rounded edges!

Koobers
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2014, 04:59 PM

FrackingCylon1 They did mention a pre-order date. It is Sept 12th.

jwdsail I know plenty of people who wanted a bigger iPhone and about 90% of them left Apple when the iPhone 5 came out to purchase Samsung devices. I would speculate that a large number of them will be returning to Apple now that they have that option. I personally don't see a need for a larger phone but that doesn't mean that other people out there wouldn't see it as beneficial to them.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2014, 05:01 PM

I agree with Koobers. Apple is making bigger iPhones for one purpose, and one purpose only: to lure (or lure back) Android users. I expect the four-inch iPhone 5-class of device will be with us for a quite a while yet, like the iPhone 4S was.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Foxypaco
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2014, 06:57 PM

Where's the iPhone 6 Mini? I don't want a bigger screen but I want everything else the iPhone 6 has to offer.

gskibum3
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2014, 09:20 PM

I also agree with Koobers. I'm just concerned that the smaller form factor of the current 5s may be put to pasture one day. My contract isn't up for another year. So hopefully by then there will be a 128 GB version with similar processor and other specs.

Arne_Saknussemm
Forum Regular
Sep 9, 2014, 10:48 PM

Sad to see Apple no longer leads... Making the better specd iPhone the phablet one is not only admitting defeat from all Android offerings, but missing an opportunity to turn the smaller model's 4.7 screen into an advantage for longer battery life by just making it a tad thicker - whilst keeping users not wanting a huge phone happy. Even on the Android side of things there are companies that realize this and make full specs phones with smaller displays like some of the Sony Xperia models, and adding the bonus of water resistance.

FireWire
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2014, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by aviamquepasa
Not bad, but it should not be a number 6, it should be a 5 ss, it is just a small improvement...
Don't be such a naming nazi

Forum Links
Forum Rules