Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Wozniak on the iPhone 6: 'I've gotten rid of my Android phones'

Wozniak on the iPhone 6: 'I've gotten rid of my Android phones'
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Sep 19, 2014, 02:54 AM

Approached by a stalking TMZ.com producer fresh off a flight, Apple co-founder and member of the Inventor Hall of Fame Steve Wozniak spoke briefly about his enthusiasm for Apple's latest products, including the iPhone 6. While he didn't specify which model he has, he apparently already has at least one of them, as he has "gotten rid of all [his] Androids," he told the reporter.

Wozniak, who prizes all manner of devices as is well-known for buying some of Apple's competitors if he likes the way they work, said he came to the realization that what he really liked most about his Android-based phones was the larger screen -- and that the iPhone 6 (or 6 Plus) solves that problem for him, allowing him to cut down to just one phone. He also made a strong pitch when asked what he would say to an Android user to convince them to buy an iPhone.

He first cited the new iPhone's ability to use Apple Pay, a variant on the NFC "tap to pay" technology already seen in some businesses. Apple, he said, finally had a "critical mass" of partners, banks, merchants and users on board to make the system work as intended. "We're getting one step closer to not having a wallet," he enthused.

"Also, now they have the big screens," Woz continued. "I've shared Apple and Android phones for a long time to see how they worked, and I've always liked the bigger screens, to tell the truth. But I've gotten rid of all my Androids now." He went on to say that the reason Android users should consider the switch is "it's Apple, and Apple only builds quality products that you're always happy with."

Not taking the hint that it was time to move on, the producer pressed Wozniak about the ritual of package opening that many Apple fans post to YouTube and elsewhere, part of their admiration for the thought put into every detail of Apple products. Woz confessed that does not partake and just gets on with setting up any new iPhone, going through the usual procedures of backing up the old unit and syncing the new one to iTunes. He mentioned that he often buys five new iPhones at a time, and thus has to spend a lot of time in the setup.

ElectroTech
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 19, 2014, 06:10 AM

Is Steve Job's shadow man still relevant? Who cares what he says anymore? Just another aimless rich guy who was famous for a while (when he tried dancing with the stars).

ElectroTech
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 19, 2014, 06:16 AM

Wow! Does that interviewer sound like he has a learning disability? I am so glad to see that people like that can still be a part of our society and get a meaningful job like working for TMZ. Next, he will be able to work as an technology analyst.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2014, 07:16 AM

ElectroTech: he's still the co-founder of Apple, still the guy responsible for the company's initial success, still the man who instilled the original idea of "think different" and engineering excellence into the company that persists to this day (for which he doesn't get enough credit), and still a contributor in the tech space through his work with Fusion I/O. "Dancing with the Stars" is the last of a very long series of accomplishments on a resume that would make most of ours look like a sheet of Kleenex. A little respect for your elders who made your life better, if you please.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Jeronimo2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 19, 2014, 07:43 AM

We mustn't feed trolls.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2014, 08:25 AM

One doesn't diss "The Woz".

mac_in_tosh
Forum Regular
Sep 19, 2014, 11:35 AM

ElectroTech: Job didn't do any of the software or engineering for the original Mac. So who's the shadow man?

DiabloConQueso
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 19, 2014, 12:05 PM

Woz. Woz was the shadow man. "Shadow man" doesn't mean "the most important cog in the machine," it means, "the person behind the front-man."

Are you insinuating that Steve Jobs was not the front-man, and that Woz was the public-facing figure at Apple during those days?

Gazoobee
Forum Regular
Sep 19, 2014, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
ElectroTech: he's still the co-founder of Apple, still the guy responsible for the company's initial success, still the man who instilled the original idea of "think different" and engineering excellence into the company that persists to this day (for which he doesn't get enough credit), and still a contributor in the tech space through his work with Fusion I/O. "Dancing with the Stars" is the last of a very long series of accomplishments on a resume that would make most of ours look like a sheet of Kleenex. A little respect for your elders who made your life better, if you please.
Wow. There is a whole lot of wishful thinking and a whole lot of historical revisionism contained in this post.

- He was actually only ONE of the "guy(s) responsible for the company's original success."
- "Think Different" didn't come from Wozniak, and was created by an advertising agency.
- Wozniak has barely contributed anything to tech for decades.

If we are to believe the numerous biographies and autobiographies of the principals involved in the creation of Apple computer, Wozniak was actually a force *against* their success, and someone who completely lacked any vision of where the computer industry was going.

Wozniak (was) an excellent coder, programmer, and chip guru extraordinaire (in the days when it was all about the silicon), but you do no one a service by distorting the facts and presenting him as some kind of visionary.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2014, 08:42 PM

I neither said nor inferred that Wozniak contributed the term "Think Different" -- I said he embodied it. I also didn't say he was a visionary; I said (quite clearly, you really should re-read the post with a bit more reading comprehension this time) that he instilled the qualities of engineering excellence and innovation that is a continuing hallmark of the company.

He hand-built the Apple I and designed the Apple II almost entirely by himself. He is in the Inventor's Hall of Fame for a reason. There were not "other guys" around at the very beginning. I'm not short-changing Jobs here, but Jobs would have been the first to admit he wasn't much of an engineer and was more of a marketer. Jobs can take credit for a lot of Apple's subsequent success, but without Wozniak there wouldn't have been a product to make successful.

As someone who was around at the time and enjoys a cordial relationship with Woz, I think it is you that is distorting history and the facts of the matter.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

mac_in_tosh
Forum Regular
Sep 19, 2014, 09:05 PM

"Are you insinuating that Steve Jobs was not the front-man, and that Woz was the public-facing figure at Apple during those days?"

You are correct about the accepted definition of the term shadow man. I was thinking, however, not about the publicity aspects but of the technical accomplishment, with Jobs being in the shadow of those.

Meovv
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2014, 01:38 AM

A short answer: Yes Woz is relevant.

JackWebb
Sep 20, 2014, 01:39 AM

Woz is a likable generous nice guy.

Grendelmon
Senior User
Sep 22, 2014, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by ElectroTech View Post
Is Steve Job's shadow man still relevant? Who cares what he says anymore? Just another aimless rich guy who was famous for a while (when he tried dancing with the stars).
Trolling troll troll.

I certainly care what he says. He has my utmost respect. Woz helped create this industry, so he is obviously relevant and his perspective on current technology has much value.

Now go whine about something else.

just a poster
Forum Regular
Sep 23, 2014, 01:01 AM

The woz is cool but it's just a product placement. An arrangement like Joan Rivers' posthumous tweets about the iphone 6.

FrackingCylon1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2014, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
I neither said nor inferred that Wozniak contributed the term "Think Different" -- I said he embodied it. I also didn't say he was a visionary; I said (quite clearly, you really should re-read the post with a bit more reading comprehension this time) that he instilled the qualities of engineering excellence and innovation that is a continuing hallmark of the company.

He hand-built the Apple I and designed the Apple II almost entirely by himself. He is in the Inventor's Hall of Fame for a reason. There were not "other guys" around at the very beginning. I'm not short-changing Jobs here, but Jobs would have been the first to admit he wasn't much of an engineer and was more of a marketer. Jobs can take credit for a lot of Apple's subsequent success, but without Wozniak there wouldn't have been a product to make successful.

As someone who was around at the time and enjoys a cordial relationship with Woz, I think it is you that is distorting history and the facts of the matter.
Agreed. Saying Woz is "Just another aimless rich guy" is a moronic, naive statement.

Forum Links
Forum Rules