Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Fifth Avenue iPhone 6 line spans 12 blocks; 6 Plus in low US supply

Fifth Avenue iPhone 6 line spans 12 blocks; 6 Plus in low US supply
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Sep 19, 2014, 10:26 AM

While other Apple Stores saw large lines for this morning's iPhone 6 launch, the Fifth Avenue outlet in New York City saw a lineup stretching 12 city blocks, according to Business Insider. By 6AM, it had extended from 59th and 5th to 71st and 5th, despite overnight temperatures dropping to about 54F. To deal with the wait and the weather, people brought chairs, coats, and blankets.

In the meantime, reports claim that while Apple Stores have the strongest stock of the 6 Plus, carrier outlets may only have a handful of units at best. T-Mobile has in fact issued a statement explaining that while it will have the iPhone 6 in stock this morning, with more arriving throughout the weekend, it "doesn't expect to have the iPhone 6 Plus in stock right away." That may effectively force T-Mobile subscribers to buy a unit online, whether from Apple or T-Mobile, and wait weeks for delivery.

Apple Stores may already be totally or virtually depleted of Plus units. Checks show that stores across New York, California, and Texas are offering no Personal Pickup for any iPhone 6 model.

( Last edited by NewsPoster; Sep 23, 2014 at 04:05 AM. )

MarkTime
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2014, 11:19 AM

Is low supply similar to no supply?

I got to my local tmobile at opening. I purposely thought I'd try my luck at a smaller store - it's a company store but in a low traffic area.

They had only 1 model of phone in stock, the 64 gb slate grey iPhone 6.
They said they didn't get any iPhone 6 Plus at all, and no stores had them at all.

MarkTime
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2014, 11:22 AM

lol, now I see this article says tmobile carrier outlets didn't get any.

Well tmobile - that's just great. First you didn't open up your webstore on time and you didn't allow sales through the store app - so when apple didn't open their website on time - all launch day iPhone 6 Plus went to customers on other carriers, because except for 1 in 1000 people that somehow got through during the outages - almost every tmo couldn't order online until after the launch day stock was already sold.

And then you add not carrying the 6 plus on launch day, on top.

you might as well just have rolled in at noon today....take your time tmobile, whatever is going on here, is not something you understand.

mac_in_tosh
Forum Regular
Sep 19, 2014, 11:31 AM

To the people in line: get a life.

iphonerulez
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 19, 2014, 12:43 PM

Investors weren't pleased at all at the poor turnout. The lines were not as long as they expected. Expect most Wall Street hedge fund managers to dump their Apple stock. Apple clearly is not able to sell enough iPhones to boost the stock even a little bit. Apple is definitely a bad investment for latecomers. I'm certain Apple will sell about 80 million iPhones in a matter of months but it simply isn't enough to satisfy Wall Street.

Jeronimo2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 19, 2014, 01:37 PM

To mac_in_tosh: try googling "tolerance". Just because you don't get how people can be so enthusiastic about something doesn't mean they're in any way inferior to you.

DiabloConQueso
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 19, 2014, 01:43 PM

Hehe... "Get a life, losers! Use me for an example -- sitting here, by myself, at a computer, being critical of people who are actually doing something that they take pleasure in with others that take pleasure in the same thing!"

coffeetime
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 19, 2014, 02:52 PM

This is Samsung's ultimate wish that will never come true. The hype and the long line themself are already a free advertisement for Apple. I guess the Galaxy virtual line (neat, but....it's virtual) didn't work so well.

It makes me wonder how the crowd forecast will be for Apple Watch release date.

wireboy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2014, 04:34 PM

I fully support not condemning anyone for doing whatever it is that makes them happy and I am a huge Apple fan myself but lining up through those early hours? 12 blocks? I just don't know. I am going to check them out in a store later this weekend, leisurely make the Plus decision, wait a while before I get one if they are out of stock by the time I get there, and be plenty happy and enthusiastic throughout the whole process. I am just planning to skip the annoying standing around on the sidewalk part. Now, when those Watches hit the stores we may have ourselves a different story...

Stuke
Forum Regular
Sep 19, 2014, 05:54 PM

Galaxy what? Where's their breaking news of 12 blocks in NYC for the latest model?
--
Stuke

mac_in_tosh
Forum Regular
Sep 19, 2014, 09:09 PM

"To mac_in_tosh: try googling "tolerance". Just because you don't get how people can be so enthusiastic about something doesn't mean they're in any way inferior to you."

I guess you're not being tolerant of my opinion that people shouldn't let themselves be swayed by marketing hype from large corporations.

Forum Links
Forum Rules