Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Fixed iOS 8.0.2 now live; bent iPhone 6 Pluses may get replaced [u]

Fixed iOS 8.0.2 now live; bent iPhone 6 Pluses may get replaced [u]
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Sep 25, 2014, 09:34 AM

[Updated: iOS 8.0.2 is now available, and Apple issues apology] The promised fix for iOS 8.0.1 will come in the form of an v8.0.2 download "as soon as it's ready in the next few days," according to a new Apple support document. In the meantime, the webpage offers instructions on how to downgrade to iOS 8.0 using iTunes and direct download links for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus versions of the firmware. The Health app won't work in iOS 8 after these steps. It will be fixed in our upcoming iOS 8.0.2 software update," the company continues.

(Update) Apple has now released iOS 8.0.2 earlier than expected. The update does fix the problems caused by the bug in the 8.0.1 release, but retains all the fixes and improvements originally found in the first version. The update also resolves a problem with third-party keyboard preferences not being remembered between restarts, and a fix for the HealthKit bug that prevented the release of some Health-compatible third-party apps. The problems in iOS 8.0.1 only affected the iPhone 6 and the iPhone 6 Plus.

The company issued a statement, saying that "iOS 8.0.2 is now available for users. It fixes an issue that affected iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus users who downloaded iOS 8.0.1, and includes improvements and bug fixes originally in iOS 8.0.1. We apologize for inconveniencing the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus users who were impacted by the bug in iOS 8.0.1." Apple has said that about 40,000 users were affected by the problem, having downloaded the flawed 8.0.1 update in the single hour it was originally available. Apple pulled the file after problem reports of loss of cellular connectivity and Touch ID malfunctions were reported.

An AppleCare representative meanwhile says that people coping with bent iPhone 6 or 6 Plus units may be able to get a warranty replacement if the phone meets certain criteria. "That is 100 percent up to the Genius you speak with at the store," the person notes. "There is a test called a Visual Mechanical Inspection that the device will have to pass. If it is within the guidelines, they will be able to cover it. If not, the replacement would be a paid one." It's also suggested that Apple is "looking into this with an insane amount of detail."

The representative's statement may not Apple's official position, and it's not clear whether affected phones can meet inspection criteria. It may be difficult to prove whether a phone was bent because of defective design, or simply through misuse.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Sep 25, 2014 at 09:50 PM. )

jdonahoe
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2014, 10:05 AM

I've seen plenty of idiots who carry their phone in a back pocket. I would not expect the iPhone 6 plus, with as thin as it is, to handle a lot of strain in a back pocket. I would argue that Apple not replace any phone because of stupidity.

Now those cheap plastic phones like the galaxy to take a little more strain, but I would expect a lot a broken screens anyway.

jdonahoe
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2014, 10:07 AM

I've seen plenty of idiots who carry their phone in a back pocket. I would not expect the iPhone 6 plus, with as thin as it is, to handle a lot of strain in a back pocket. I would argue that Apple not replace any phone because of stupidity.

Now those cheap plastic phones like the galaxy i expect to take a little more strain, but I would expect a lot of broken screens anyway.

Mr. Strat
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 25, 2014, 10:26 AM

Saw a video on YouTube yesterday of some clown "proving" that the phone would bend. He was pressing as hard as he could to get it to flex. I don't know why he didn't just take a hammer to it. Idiot.

DiabloConQueso
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 25, 2014, 10:30 AM

I carry my phone in my back pocket.

Keyword: carry. I don't sit down with it there. My pants are not of the skinny or tight type. I wouldn't lean against a wall with it back there.

It's merely a place to put it while I walk from point A to point B, so it doesn't get scratched by my car keys in my front pocket, or bulge my other front pocket unnecessarily crammed in there with my wallet.

I don't think we'd be hearing much about bendgate if this were 10 or 20 years ago and fashion was back to huge, baggy jeans rather than skin-tight jeans. I think it's merely a result of fashion clashing with technology, where we have this interesting crossroads of people wanting tiny jeans and huge phones and not understanding that it's themselves that need to take the responsibility to work out the details and compromises of that mismatch.

pairof9s
Senior User
Sep 25, 2014, 11:26 AM

Note as well...the original incident of this bent Plus was from someone who carried it in their front pocket during a day-long trip to attend a wedding including the reception/dance. So the assertion was not made by someone carrying it in their back pocket.

That stated, I'd question anyone who says putting a phone in their back pant's pocket is reasonable. These ARE highly sophisticated electronic devices...not Fisher-Price toys!

PJL500
Sep 25, 2014, 01:09 PM

Btw, even though it is under the RF exposure section of their legal language, Apple states, in every phone: "Carry iPhone at least 10mm away from your body... ." (This warning aims squarely at front or back pocket.)

chucker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2014, 06:05 PM

Er, actually, that isn't a bent iPhone in my pocket...

drrocky
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2014, 09:39 PM

Now fix the problem with pages documents not being accessible after you upgrade to iCloud drive.

Inkling
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 26, 2014, 08:12 AM

Quote: The Health app won't work in iOS 8 after these steps."

Alas, the Health app doesn't even download for my iPad. When will Apple release an upgrade that will fix that deficiency? I realize that screen size and always there data may be an issue, but quite a few iOS users either don't have an iPhone or would rather use the larger screen on their iPad.
Author of Untangling Tolkien and Chesterton on War and Peace

Mr. Strat
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 26, 2014, 10:30 AM

The Health app is for the iPhone only.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2014, 03:09 PM

I would imagine that they are working on Health for iPad, but I suspect that fixing HealthKit took priority. Now that that's taken care of, perhaps they'll release Health for iPad (or a universal version) alongside the new forthcoming iPad models.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Forum Links
Forum Rules