Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Video shows two kids deliberately bending iPhones at Apple Store

Video shows two kids deliberately bending iPhones at Apple Store
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Sep 29, 2014, 04:26 PM

A new video circulating on the Internet shows two kids -- identifying themselves as Kylie and Danny -- going into an Apple Store and trying to bend the iPhone 6 Plus. The pair succeed several times, causing the phones' metal frames to warp and pop out their displays. Thousands of dollars' worth of hardware is believed to have been damaged, but Kylie suggests that "it's Apple fault" for poor design.

The video was initially uploaded to YouTube by the duo, but then quickly deleted. It was caught by an automatic mirroring service on Reddit however, and has since spread across the web.

Apple has come under heavy criticism during the past week for the "bendgate" controversy, which began with forum complaints about the 6 Plus bending in pockets and escalated after YouTube channels began demonstrating the phone's vulnerability. Both Apple and Consumer Reports have dismissed the problem by providing videos of the testing, and documentation of the pressure required to cause the metal phones to bend. The iPhone 6 was found to be more susceptible to the problem than the iPhone 6 Plus, but both were not as prone to bending as the HTC One (M8) in testing.

( Last edited by NewsPoster; Sep 30, 2014 at 03:02 AM. )

kerryb
Sep 29, 2014, 04:36 PM

I sure hope that Apple can identify these clowns and "press" charges of vandalism. Just about anything can be damaged if purposely mishandled like this. What idiots.

loco335
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2014, 04:44 PM

Sure, it's Apple's fault for making him vandalize the displays. Right.
I hope Apple holds Kylie "Responsible" (key word) for the vandalized equipment. I think his parents need to pay for the damage. Once that happens, perhaps Kylie will think twice about doing the "wrong thing"
Beg forgiveness, not permission

nowayoutofmymind
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2014, 04:45 PM

these morons lack education. if i go into a photography shop and fumble expensive lenses, i most certainly can break some of those mechanics too. but i learned that i am not free to break stuff that doesn't belong to me...

wireboy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2014, 04:50 PM

I sincerely hope that they are held financially accountable for every dime's worth of property damaged on their crime spree.

Apple's fault for poor design? Maybe Apple's fault for not catching them in the act and having someone kick their half-wit butts. The stupidity that runs rampant these days is too much to bear!

Makosuke
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 29, 2014, 04:52 PM

Seriously, what is wrong with people?

You think the 6+ is too fragile, or like to keep your phone in your back pocket and sit on it, no problem, don't buy it. There are plenty of thicker phones that probably hold up better to being sat on on the market. Capitalism is great that way. If enough people don't buy it, Apple will see the sales hit and change the design. If you turn out to be one of a tiny minority, then nothing changes but you still get the beefy phone that you want.

But when braniacs are walking into stores, intentionally breaking thousands of dollars worth of hardware, posting videos of the vandalism on the internet, and then claiming it's the company's fault because they didn't build an idiot-proof device that's really thin (and, I suppose, put it out where people could touch it), something is deeply amiss.

Heck, a small bump with another vehicle has been enough to cause several thousand dollars worth of damage to a car's molded bumper for the past 20 years, and while people complain about it I haven't seen anybody playing bumper cars with a '57 Chevy on new car lots to prove a point, then blaming Toyota for their audacity to sell a car that isn't invulnerable.

James Katt
Sep 29, 2014, 05:18 PM

Those kids need to be ARRESTED FOR VANDALISM. Then they can be sent to the California Youth Authority to spend time there until they are 25 years old.

Mr. Strat
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 29, 2014, 06:20 PM

I'd like to see a YouTube video of these kids getting the shit slapped out of them for being stupid.

Jeronimo2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 29, 2014, 06:24 PM

This whole "bendgate" thing sickens me. From start to finish. The guy who did the "original" bending video made hundreds of thousands of dollars from ad revenue on YouTube, and every idiot on the planet now believes that iPhones are "bendy". Yes, morons, you can bend most things if you just put enough pressure on it.

Here's a video of a woman bending a frying pan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJug16NlqPk - that should clear things up.

Stuke
Forum Regular
Sep 29, 2014, 07:36 PM

Like it or not, the concept is out...people will give a second thought to upgrading/crossgrading to the iPhone 6 platform. Count me as one of them, and I'm educated, enjoying my iPhone 5, and not willing to 'chance' it even though I don't sit on my phone but pretty much baby them with cases and care. Just the thought that it is rather 'easy' to cause a deformation tells me the thinness factor has caught up to Apple design. Honestly, I'm surprised this escaped the Ive design group. I'm sure statisticians and technicians amassed and analyzed the 30,000 iPhone tested (15k of each design) before freezing the design; but, sometimes, flaws still escape. Like it or not, this issue will plaque Apple and be the focus of one of the top three design features of the next iPhone! (Just like antenna-gate did)
--
Stuke

nat
Sep 29, 2014, 07:44 PM

trot on over to a best buy and bend some other phones. while you're at it grab hold of the front and back of a big screen tv and see how far you can push the screen in with your hand. mosey on over to the laptop section and see how far back you can bend the lid. next head over...
morons.

Flying Meat
Senior User
Sep 29, 2014, 08:24 PM

Nope. Sorry. It's your parents' fault for poor design.
Open your wallets moms and dads. This'll only hurt a little.

Steve Wilkinson
Senior User
Sep 29, 2014, 09:20 PM

Yep, find them and make them pay.

@ Jeronimo2000 - Thanks to the wonder of social media (and users who lack critical thinking skills), it's pretty cheap these days to get the masses to believe just about anything.
------
Steve Wilkinson
Web designer | Christian apologist
cgWerks | TilledSoil.org

just a poster
Forum Regular
Sep 29, 2014, 11:57 PM

Vandalism, yes, but these are the most delicate devices apple has ever made, it would not be possible for these kids to bend an iPad mini or MacBook like this. Apple should take some responsibility and make future phones more sturdy.

Zanziboy
Forum Regular
Sep 30, 2014, 01:57 AM

The human body is breakable as well. It doesn't mean it's a faulty product.

Jeronimo2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2014, 07:23 AM

@just a poster: these are hardly the "most delicate devices" Apple has built. Try bending the screen on a MacBook Air. Go on, I dare you. And if you want to see REALLY delicate, grab a PowerBook G4, the magnesium edition. Don't look at it wrong, though, the paint will chip off.

The iPhones are perfectly sturdy enough for normal use (see Consumer Reports, see The Verge's photo story on Apple's testing facilities). The only think that's lacking is some people's common sense.

sibeale1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 30, 2014, 08:38 AM

These kids should be permanently banned from ever setting foot into any museum.

daqman
Forum Regular
Sep 30, 2014, 08:40 AM

Take a close look at the kid's hands in the picture. You can see how much force is being used here. He really seems to be putting quite a bit of effort into it. All he's proving is how dumb he is. Crazy as a box of frogs.
Beware of geeks bearing Gifs

slboett
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 30, 2014, 10:47 AM

If one of those was my kids, I'd drag him down there, make him pay for the phones and then take him to the local PD to have them put him into public service for a few months. That would be recorded and played on YouTube to show how cool they are in Orange.

climacs
Senior User
Sep 30, 2014, 04:09 PM

"he iPhone 6 was found to be more susceptible to the problem than the iPhone 6 Plus, but both were not as prone to bending as the HTC One (M8)"

How much you want to bet the sufferers of Apple Derangement Syndrome will never mention that?

Ω
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2014, 08:14 AM

Can't say I am too worried about the bending. It is if they can handle a sledgehammer, or more importantly can they stop a bullet that concerns me.
"angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress"

Forum Links
Forum Rules