Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > T-Mobile CEO John Legere laughs at iPhone 6 bending controversy

T-Mobile CEO John Legere laughs at iPhone 6 bending controversy
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Oct 5, 2014, 06:35 PM

Talking at the GeekWire Summit 2014 this month, the ever-vocal T-Mobile CEO John Legere talked about the how ludicrous he believed the current bending controversy was surrounding the iPhone 6. Coming off of a point talking about how his company is forcing the industry to change, Legere jokingly sat on his iPhone, only to say that the bending issue "is such horse----."

Starting by singling out the people making videos of the iPhones bending, Legere insinuates that there is much more force required than is witnessed on camera. Partially mocking people that are bending these phones, he argues that it wasn't something consumers even needed to see.

"The video of the guy that's doing this -- and if you could see his face, he probably would have been purple," said Legere. "The veins were coming out of his fingers, and the thing moves a little bit? Are you s---g me?"

Being blunt, Legere also questioned why iPhone 6 users were even putting the devices in their pockets and sitting on them to begin with. Referencing the nine reports filed with Apple over the bent devices, Legere believes they need jeans "that fit a little better." He considers it as ridiculous as throwing a laptop against a wall, or doing handstands on one.

Legere did make a specific point, recognizing that the "bendgate" issue isn't doing anything to slow down the demand of the Apple phones. He adds that "the demand for these devices in the last few weeks is unbelievable." From working his emails, he has recognized that "people are pissed" that they can't get the iPhone 6, something that's caused by a "major, major supply issue." Being the constant salesman, he throws out that if consumers find an iPhone 6 at the Apple store, there isn't anything that could stop them from buying a different carrier's phone and putting a T-Mobile SIM card in it.

In the interview, Legere also talks about how in the process of first getting the iPhone for sale, T-Mobile made advancements in its infrastructure and modernized "much faster" than it would have otherwise. Apple wouldn't give T-Mobile the phone unless they hit "a certain quality and a focus." Even partnering with them over Wi-Fi calling and the test drive program was tough.

As for iPhone sales, Legere knows that his company wouldn't be able to sell the largest number of iPhones. He jests that AT&T better be the company selling the most because of their size, but believes that his business will have the biggest share of sales per market share points, of which T-Mobile has 15.

"I would think relative to our size, I would think history may end up showing that we were the biggest share taker in the event," said Legere. In the video, Legere's iPhone statements start at the 20-minute mark. However, be warned that his comments are not considered safe for work.

( Last edited by NewsPoster; Oct 6, 2014 at 06:08 AM. )

Inkling
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 6, 2014, 08:51 AM

He's right. This fuss is stupid. You don't throw your smartphone out a second-story window onto concrete and you don't put it in your back pocket and sit down. This isn't Antennagate, where users lost signal holding an iPhone in a legitimate way.
Author of Untangling Tolkien and Chesterton on War and Peace

thinkman
Oct 6, 2014, 10:20 AM

It's a shame that Apple isn't as vocal as Mr. Legere regarding this fallacious assertion. They need to learn how to step out in front of these non-issues. OR......It might just be that Apple is wise not to comment, as this might only add a modicum of veracity to it! (wow, I got to use nearly all of my big words in this comment ; ).

Mr. Strat
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 6, 2014, 10:34 AM

I have no love for TMO, but he's telling it like it is. Every time I show off my Plus, people ask if it's the one that bends. It's really getting to piss me off.

climacs
Senior User
Oct 6, 2014, 10:37 AM

because there are just some people who love to hate on Apple. But notice who keeps comparing themselves to Apple products: Samsung, Amazon. A tacit acknowledgement of who the leader is. I have yet to see Apple compare its products to Samsung or Amazon in any advertisement.

DiabloConQueso
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 6, 2014, 11:28 AM

"Every time I show off my Plus, people ask if it's the one that bends. It's really getting to piss me off."

I'm starting to think you have this comment typed out in a small text document on your desktop that you simply open and then copy-paste into every MacNN article whose topic is the iPhone 6's bendability.

Jeronimo2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 6, 2014, 11:59 AM

I love this guy. I wish the tech world had more people like him. Now with Steve gone and Larry Ellison keeping remarkably quite the last couple of years, there's very few people around to tell it like it is and don't shy away from calling BS when they see it.

Jeronimo2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 6, 2014, 11:59 AM

@Diablo: that's probably true and only goes to show just HOW much pissed off he is.

slboett
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 6, 2014, 01:11 PM

I think Apple ignoring it is fine. It lends no cred to it. Haters WANT Apple to jump un. Idiots are idiots. Look for all the other phones that bend. Non-issue. If someone is dumb enough to let this change their minds, they're better off buying a 'Droid or WinCrap phone. Better for Apple in the long run...

makuribu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 6, 2014, 01:27 PM

I read an article about the recent volcanic eruption in Japan that showed pictures from the iPhones of victims of the volcano. It's only a matter of time before a columnist at Business Insider makes a link between iPhones and volcanic activity. Volcanogate, anybody?

Jeronimo2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 6, 2014, 03:46 PM

@slboett: Apple is not ignoring it. They're dealing with it their own way: they let The Verge into their testing facilities:
http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/25/6845611/inside-apples-iphone-6-torture-building

slboett
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 6, 2014, 05:31 PM

@Jeronimo2000: Thanks for the link man! Cool info there.

Forum Links
Forum Rules