Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Apple confirms October 16 press event

Apple confirms October 16 press event
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Oct 8, 2014, 12:35 PM

Confirming earlier rumors, Apple has sent out media invites to an October 16 press event. The invitations reveal virtually nothing about the showcase, simply offering an iOS 8-style Apple logo, the tagline "it's been way too long," and a time and place: the company's Cupertino headquarters at 10AM Pacific time. Apple is mainly expected to reveal a second-generation iPad Air and a third-gen iPad mini.

The event will also likely launch OS X Yosemite, iOS 8.1, and Apple Pay. Beyond that claims become more contentious; some rumors have the company updating the MacBook Air and/or the iMac with long-awaited Retina support, which could be what the invitation slogan is a reference to. At the moment, only iOS devices and the MacBook Pro use Retina technology.

The new iPads are typically forecast to get Touch ID sensors, A8 processors, and thinner shells, possibly losing their mute/rotation switches in the process. They may also gain gold as a color option, and/or drop 16GB as a capacity, making 32GB the bottom tier. It's also been noted that the Apple design in the invite uses the company's fomer "six color" motif.

( Last edited by NewsPoster; Oct 9, 2014 at 05:18 AM. )

DiabloConQueso
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 8, 2014, 01:03 PM

Don't forget the mini -- arguably the best Apple product candidate for the moniker "It's been way too long."

Hello? Hello..?

OldMacGeek
Forum Regular
Oct 8, 2014, 01:04 PM

It's also been way too long since Apple updated the AppleTV. Just sayin'

DiabloConQueso
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 8, 2014, 01:54 PM

Hey, get outta here, trying to steal some of the spotlight. We need a mini refresh a hell of a lot more than we need an AppleTV refresh.

In all seriousness, I have an inkling of an idea that Apple will "quietly" update the Mac mini rather than announce the upgrade during the keynote. There's no reason to change the form factor, there aren't any new radically new processors to make a big stink about, and not much new technology has been introduced to warrant any kind of lip service. More than likely, we'll see minis upgraded with faster processors and busses, as well as receive updated wireless capabilities, but beyond that, there's really not much to talk about unless they release them in rainbow colors or something.

Either way, I don't care -- loudly or quietly, we just need some new minis. This poor C2D mini of mine is begging for a replacement.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Oct 8, 2014, 02:59 PM

I suspect the AppleTV will get updated with a new processor and functionality to function as HomeKit hubs.

I think the Mini will get a quiet update at some point, its just not a huge contributor to Apple's bottom line.

wnoguchi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2014, 03:15 PM

Mac mini needs more thunderbolt port/s and upgrade to thunderbolt2

Truthsayer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 9, 2014, 01:51 AM

I wouldn't rule out new monitor upgrades - it's been way too long since Apple updated its Thunderbolt display. It remains hard to believe that it released the Mac Pro in late 2013/early 2014 that supports Thunderbolt 2 and 4K video, yet it still hasn't released a companion monitor for the device...

Truthsayer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 9, 2014, 01:54 AM

You could also throw in new iPod updates as well - that would make sense given the colorful invite. Anyone up for a 5.5-inch iPod touch with 128GB or more of storage?

badidea
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2014, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by DiabloConQueso View Post
This poor C2D mini of mine is begging for a replacement.
Same here!
I am waiting for a new model since almost a year now!
While the current model would actually be all I need, all those damn rumors in the past year stopped my from buying one...and it doesn't get any better!
Rumors Rumors Rumors...

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Oct 9, 2014, 10:22 AM

I am near certain that we won't see a Mac Mini refresh announced at this event. It may go live in parallel, and quietly, though.

badidea
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2014, 10:44 AM

You are most likely right because there will be no major new design to the mini ... at least not this year ... and for a simple spec refresh Apple will not dedicate an event to it!

"It's been way too long" - in my opinion that's either a retina iMac or a new kick ass display for the Mac Pro!

I still wonder why there are curved TVs (where it doesn't make any real sense) but no curved 30" computer displays (where it could actually make a lot of sense)!?

Originally Posted by EstaNightshift View Post
I am near certain that we won't see a Mac Mini refresh announced at this event. It may go live in parallel, and quietly, though.
...and I am even afraid that this will happen since a simple Haswell upgrade could have been done months ago - now doesn't really make a lot of sense!

badidea
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2014, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by badidea View Post
I still wonder why there are curved TVs (where it doesn't make any real sense) but no curved 30" computer displays (where it could actually make a lot of sense)!?
Oh, I wasn't up-to-date...

LG 34UC97-S 86,4 cm LED-Monitor silber: Amazon.de: Computer & Zubehör

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Oct 10, 2014, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by badidea View Post
...and I am even afraid that this will happen since a simple Haswell upgrade could have been done months ago - now doesn't really make a lot of sense!
The performance difference between Ivy Bridge and Haswell isn't really anything, Haswell makes the most sense in battery-constrained devices.

I think its possible that Apple may wait until the December-January Intel roadmap update. I don't think it'll get more Thunderbolt ports, because of the less expensive chipset in it versus the Mac Pro and MacBook Pro.

Forum Links
Forum Rules