Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > OS X 10.10 Yosemite formally released

OS X 10.10 Yosemite formally released
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Oct 16, 2014, 01:53 PM

On Thursday, Apple followed expectations and took the wraps off the public release of OS X 10.10 Yosemite, its latest update to the Mac operating system. Released in conjunction with iOS 8.1, features such as Continuity and Handoff will allow further integration of the two complementary operating systems, with recent-vintage Mac users able to make and receive phone calls and SMS text messages, or be automatically prompted to pick up the last-used app on the other platform right where they left off.

Other major features of Yosemite include an all-new version of iTunes, now at v12, and Safari, now at version 8. The two programs, along with the Finder itself, have all adopted a similar-but-distinct flat look that is at once familiar to iOS users but also retaining a separate identity. Other major features include new versions of Mail, Messages and Family Sharing, all of which further integrate OS X with iOS 8, particularly iOS 8.1 which will be released on Monday.

Mail now offers a "markup" feature, offering such built-in abilities as signing a PDF using a graphic signature, or drawing on a photo attachment (or adding a caption). Safari version 8.0 offers JavaScript performance that is said to be six times faster than the leading browser competitors, and offers power efficiency that allows for up to two hours of extra browser life, or up to three hours more power for Netflix streaming. Messages finally brings back screen sharing, and Family Sharing will try to untangle the mess that can occur when multiple family members with multiple Apple IDs buy things and want to share them.

New icons in Yosemite
New icons in Yosemite

Version 12 of iTunes further reflects the merging of iOS and OS X design cues, and offers new looks and features for more quickly finding, organizing and listening to music. Apple also announced an update for iWork for OS X as well as iOS, available today. Likewise, the public release of Yosemite is available today, and is a free upgrade for users of recent OS X versions.

Continuity allows phone calls, SMS on Macs
Continuity allows phone calls, SMS on Macs

Yosemite also includes the upgrade of iCloud Drive, a service that had already debuted with iOS 8. It expands the functionality of the 5GB of free iCloud storage to allow any type of document, and generally serves now as Apple's answer to Dropbox, only with more security. Apple is offering an additional 20GB of space for $1 a month, or 200GB of space for $4 per month. Tiers up to 1TB of storage are available.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Oct 16, 2014 at 05:08 PM. )

ElectroTech
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 16, 2014, 02:38 PM

Not available bin Canada yet though.

tntracy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 16, 2014, 03:18 PM

Nor in the U.S. yet, either. The "Upgrade Now" button is activated at http://www.apple.com/osx/ - but, it just results in a "The item you've requested is not currently available in the U.S. store." message in App Store. Clicking "Updates" yields nothing as well....

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2014, 05:17 PM

Yes, it takes some time for Apple to stagger a big release like this worldwide. It will show up later today, but as millions of people will all be trying to get it, if you can wait a day or two you have a better chance of getting a fast, uncorrupted download anyway.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

DiabloConQueso
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 16, 2014, 05:37 PM

Just FYI, it seems to be downloading now here in the CDT time zone.

Flying Meat
Senior User
Oct 16, 2014, 06:00 PM

Download status says "1 day 20 hours" LOL!
I hope yer not impatient.

DiabloConQueso
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 16, 2014, 06:22 PM

Mine sped along quite fast, at about ~3.0MB/s (maxing out my connection). Downloaded in about a half-hour.

jimoase
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 16, 2014, 08:51 PM

Gotta love the washed out old Windows look of the new interface.

Lets hope the real talent was used making functional code. If the interface graphics people were paid, the person who authorized the payment is suspect.

mecutler
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 16, 2014, 09:06 PM

I am downloading through the App Store. It just says "Downloading". It has been that way for 3-1/2 hours. That may be okay - at my connection speed, I would not be surprised if this takes 8-10 hours. But I cannot find any way to see a progress bar, or get any other information about the speed of the download, or even any way to verify that anything at all is happening. Does anybody know how I can tell what is happening?

NEVER MIND - I found what I needed under the "Purchases" tab.
( Last edited by mecutler; Oct 16, 2014 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Found my own answer)

DiabloConQueso
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 16, 2014, 10:12 PM

You can also open up your Applications folder in the Finder, put it in icon view, and it should show you a progress bar underneath the app that's being downloaded/updated along with an estimated time to completion.

tehwoz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 17, 2014, 09:16 AM

The look and feel of Yosemite is just UGLY. The RED, AMBER, GREEN close/min buttons look like they were designed by a blind child. The menus look like you are using Windows. It's the opposite of usual Mac elegance ... it looks and feels corporatised, bland, un-Apple, and makes me dislike it. Back to 10.9.5 - cyaaaa Yosemite.

Obadiahorthodox
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 17, 2014, 12:13 PM

It took about 5 or 6 hours for the download to complete for me yesterday. I use a wifi connection so it was about 450 kb a second for me. I do not like the flat look at all, especially the new dock, reminds me of Tiger, this is a step backwards.

Ron Goodman
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 17, 2014, 01:12 PM

Seems to be the same version as the Beta 5 build, since it says there are no updates available for me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules