Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > 'One more thing' from Apple: Mac mini refresh

'One more thing' from Apple: Mac mini refresh
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Oct 16, 2014, 02:27 PM

Alongside a new iMac, Apple has refreshed the Mac mini. The new Mac mini brings Intel fourth-generation "Haswell" processors to the diminutive computer, which retains the same form factor. Also added are a pair of Thunderbolt 2 ports, replacing the single original Thunderbolt port in the 2012 model. More importantly, the base price for a new entry-level Mac mini model that will have performance specs similar to the entry-level MacBook Air, has dropped by $100 to a new floor of $499.

Graphics on the Mac Mini are now Intel Iris (for the mid-tier and high-end models) or HD Graphics 5000 (for the entry-level model). The base model is a dual-core i5 processor running at 1.4GHz, with peak speeds hitting 2.7GHz. A 500GB hard drive is included in the $499 configuration. Up to a 3.0GHz i7 processor (with peak speeds of 3.5Ghz) can be purchased as a "build to order" configuration. Four USB 3.0 ports are included, alongside the pair of Thunderbolt 2 ports.

Memory on the entry-level model is 4GB, with 8GB in the midrange and high-end model. Prices range from $499 for the entry level, up to $1000 for a 2.8GHz i7 with Fusion drive. "Build to order" configuration pricing will vary.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Oct 17, 2014 at 04:50 AM. )

DiabloConQueso
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 16, 2014, 03:24 PM

No more Mac mini Server option on the store. I always wondered why, beyond support for dual-drives, that was ever a completely separate option.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Oct 16, 2014, 03:56 PM

The current form factor mini HAS dual-drive support as-is with the addition of a little cable stub. The bracket is there, the ports are there, just the cable connecting the drive to the motherboard isn't.

DiabloConQueso
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 16, 2014, 04:04 PM

Yes, I should have said "without requiring CTO or aftermarket upgrades." The difference being that you could order a Mac mini with dual-drives, now you can't... but the dual-drive capability still exists in the machines.

DiabloConQueso
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 16, 2014, 04:12 PM

Also of note is that the base-level Mac mini is underpowered compared to the previous base-level Mac mini, which explains the $100 price drop. The base-level $499 Mac mini now uses the same mobile-variant, slow-clocked (1.4GHz), low-power i5 chip found in the MacBook Air and lowest-level 21.5" iMac.

There is no $599 Mac Mini anymore. The next jump is $699. It looks like Apple took the entry-level Mac mini, swapped in the slow-clocked, mobile, low-power i5 processor, dropped the price $100, and got rid of the $599 Mac mini altogether.

Thomasbeau
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 16, 2014, 04:17 PM

I use all Mac mini servers at my office. The lack of the pre-configured server model with the i7 processor is very disappointing.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Oct 16, 2014, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by DiabloConQueso View Post
Also of note is that the base-level Mac mini is underpowered compared to the previous base-level Mac mini, which explains the $100 price drop. The base-level $499 Mac mini now uses the same mobile-variant, slow-clocked (1.4GHz), low-power i5 chip found in the MacBook Air and lowest-level 21.5" iMac.

There is no $599 Mac Mini anymore. The next jump is $699. It looks like Apple took the entry-level Mac mini, swapped in the slow-clocked, mobile, low-power i5 processor, dropped the price $100, and got rid of the $599 Mac mini altogether.
It is, in essence, the MacBook Air, minus the SSD. I have grave concerns over the real-world speed of this machine.

DiabloConQueso
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 16, 2014, 04:27 PM

Another change I just noticed: there's no longer any kind of option for a quad-core processor in any of the CTO configurations.

If I remember correctly, you could CTO a quad-core i7 in the previous Mac minis, and the server option was a quad-core i7 by default.

bdmarsh
Oct 16, 2014, 05:00 PM

hmm... would be interesting to see some speed tests of the old quad i7 vs the new dual i7. I suspect for some things the older quad would still win.

coffeetime
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 17, 2014, 07:32 AM

Disappointed that it still can't take 32GB of RAM.

hayesk
Oct 17, 2014, 12:45 PM

Do people really need a quad-core i7 for a home or small office server? Yeah, that option is gone, for reasons I can't fathom, but I doubt it was really that necessary in a small server setting.

chucker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2014, 09:23 AM

At least one good thing about having such an underpowered machine in their line-up, is that future versions of os x should be able to run on this calibre of machine for some time,

Forum Links
Forum Rules