Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Amex web page promotes Apple Pay, adds directions for linking cards

Amex web page promotes Apple Pay, adds directions for linking cards
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Oct 17, 2014, 10:14 PM

Financial services and credit card issuer American Express has posted a new web page on its site, extolling the benefits of Apple Pay and instructing users on how to add their cards to the Passbook-based payment system. The mobile payment system is designed for the new iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus (now expanded to include the latest iPads for online or in-app purchases only) and will be formally rolled out on Monday, alongside the release of iOS 8.1.

On the webpage and in an email to cardholders, the company assures users that the experience of using Apple Pay will be "seamless," and that participants will continue to get the same reward points and other promotional offerings as though they had used the physical card, reports AppleInsider. Amex cards already linked to iTunes accounts can be added to Passbook simply by verifying the security code, the company says.

Stores listed by American Express where users will be able to experience Apple Pay on day one include Panera Bread, Petco, Staples, ToysRUs, and Whole Foods. The card stored in Passbook will also connect to the Amex Mobile app, allowing for real-time access to one's account, special offers, reward status and other features.

unicast reversepath
Forum Regular
Oct 17, 2014, 10:18 PM

The last thing I need is the ability to spend/charge money with my phone.

Not interested AT ALL.
If you have Ghosts, you have Everything!

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2014, 04:01 AM

How do you perceive this to be different than spending/charging money with your card, other than the Apple Pay system being faster and more secure?
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

msuper69
Professional Poster
Oct 18, 2014, 07:29 AM

Apple Pay has no effect on how much money you spend (that a personal problem); it makes the transaction safer. That's a good enough reason for me to use it instead of the traditional way of giving you card to a person and hoping that person doesn't copy anything off the card.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 18, 2014, 09:30 AM

Apple Pay is just taking an existing flawed system that is tied to personal identity, and improving the user experience. Don't be led to think that this is the be-all-end-all. The be-all-end-all will be when your transactions are purely anonymous, when every merchant is PCI compliant (many are not), and when credit transactions are not personal ID based and tied to ancient magnetic strip tech. Apple Pay is an abstraction for this outdated technology.

unicast reversepath
Forum Regular
Oct 18, 2014, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
How do you perceive this to be different than spending/charging money with your card, other than the Apple Pay system being faster and more secure?
Maybe faster - but more secure? I don't think so!

The security aspect is what concerns me.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 18, 2014, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by unicast reversepath View Post
Maybe faster - but more secure? I don't think so!

The security aspect is what concerns me.

Why do you think it isn't more secure? It may be taking PCI compliance out of the realm of responsibility of the merchant and giving it to Apple.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2014, 07:05 AM

Yes, why do you think it is less secure than the present mag-stripe system? It would seem to me to be far MORE secure than the present system (like, WAY more). This would be part of the reason why it has found wide acceptance I should think -- banks and merchants seem to be both be of the impression that it will significantly reduce the chance of fraud.

Here's an article we did that outlines how it works:

http://www.macnn.com/articles/14/09/12/apple.gets.015.percent.cut.of.purchases.does.not.a ffect.purchase.price/
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

DiabloConQueso
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 19, 2014, 10:49 PM

If someone steals your credit card, they can use it at any number of places with ease (many merchanst still don't cross-check against a driver's license or check for the signature -- just swipe, sign, and go).

If someone steals your phone, they cannot do this.

There's no question that using Apple Pay in lieu of plastic credit cards makes it more secure -- the question is to what magnitude is it more secure?

unicast reversepath
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2014, 05:06 PM

If someone steals your phone, why would they not be able to use your apple pay?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2014, 06:45 PM

If someone steals your phone, why would they not be able to use your apple pay?

For one, purchasing requires the thumb print ID. Secondly, you can remote wipe your phone and track its whereabouts.

unicast reversepath
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2014, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
For one, purchasing requires the thumb print ID. Secondly, you can remote wipe your phone and track its whereabouts.
Thumbprint to unlock the phone, or to actually process the transaction?

Wiping the phone will only work if you know the phone has been stolen, and
the phone has to be connected to a phone or data network to be wiped.

I think Hackers will be all over this, and any perceived "extra security" will be a moot point, thus my comments about 'less secure'.

I could be mistaken - time will tell.

I am not anti-apple, but I did expect the early implementation of Apple pay to have some serious flaws and have noticed that Apple Pay is already having glitches - like double charges.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 28, 2014, 09:24 AM

Thumbprint to unlock the phone, or to actually process the transaction?

Wiping the phone will only work if you know the phone has been stolen, and
the phone has to be connected to a phone or data network to be wiped.

I think Hackers will be all over this, and any perceived "extra security" will be a moot point, thus my comments about 'less secure'.

I could be mistaken - time will tell.

I am not anti-apple, but I did expect the early implementation of Apple pay to have some serious flaws and have noticed that Apple Pay is already having glitches - like double charges.

Thumb print for both unlocking and processing the transaction. This is far more secure than your current credit card based scheme. For one, your credit card is identity based and linked to you as a person. Secondly, if your wallet is stolen there is no remote wipe or thumb print needed to use the cards in your wallet. There is no way of tracking where your wallet ended up.

Forum Links
Forum Rules