Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Apple CEO Tim Cook comes out as gay in new essay

Apple CEO Tim Cook comes out as gay in new essay
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Oct 30, 2014, 09:25 AM

Apple CEO Tim Cook has come out as gay in a new essay written for Bloomberg Businessweek. Although the fact has been widely known for some time, Cook has never before stated it publicly. He says that he is "proud to be gay," but admits that it "wasn't an easy choice" to come out. "Privacy remains important to me, and I'd like to hold on to a small amount of it," the essay reads later on. "I've made Apple my life's work, and I will continue to spend virtually all of my waking time focused on being the best CEO I can be. That's what our employees deserve -- and our customers, developers, shareholders, and supplier partners deserve it, too."

In a TV interview (below), Businessweek editor Josh Tyrangiel says that using the media to come out is something Cook "has been thinking about for a while," but "not precipitated by any event" and "not a reaction to anything." The CEO is said to have simply called Tyrangiel and asked if he could come out through his publication. During the conversation, Cook explained that he already had something prepared.

Cook ties his identity closely to his progressive social views. "Part of social progress is understanding that a person is not defined only by one's sexuality, race, or gender. I'm an engineer, an uncle, a nature lover, a fitness nut, a son of the South, a sports fanatic, and many other things. I hope that people will respect my desire to focus on the things I'm best suited for, and the work that brings me joy."

Elsewhere in the essay, Cook says that he was prompted to come out publicly for the sake of other LGBT people. "I don't consider myself an activist, but I realize how much I've benefited from the sacrifice of others," he writes. "So if hearing that the CEO of Apple is gay can help someone struggling to come to terms with who he or she is, or bring comfort to anyone who feels alone, or inspire people to insist on their equality, then it's worth the trade-off with my own privacy."

He lastly promotes Apple's record on LGBT rights. "The company I am so fortunate to lead has long advocated for human rights and equality for all. We've taken a strong stand in support of a workplace equality bill before Congress, just as we stood for marriage equality in our home state of California. And we spoke up in Arizona when that state's legislature passed a discriminatory bill targeting the gay community. We'll continue to fight for our values, and I believe that any CEO of this incredible company, regardless of race, gender, or sexual orientation, would do the same. And I will personally continue to advocate for equality for all people until my toes point up.

"When I arrive in my office each morning, I'm greeted by framed photos of Dr. King and Robert F. Kennedy. I don't pretend that writing this puts me in their league. All it does is allow me to look at those pictures and know that I'm doing my part, however small, to help others. We pave the sunlit path toward justice together, brick by brick. This is my brick."

( Last edited by NewsPoster; Oct 31, 2014 at 03:29 AM. )

Malcolm Owen
Oct 30, 2014, 09:46 AM

Hello there. Just a word of warning to keep any comments civil and on-topic. Important news items can cause heated debate, and we ask for participants to keep the conversation clean and rational. Thank you.

pottymouth
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 30, 2014, 10:00 AM

How about NO conversation? Are coming out stories really still news? Meh. Whatever.

burger
Forum Regular
Oct 30, 2014, 10:06 AM

I was only surprised that he attributed being gay as a gift from a god. A supernatural being that cares about our sexual orientation. Hilarious!

reciprocity
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2014, 10:17 AM

Congratulations to Tim. I'm happy that he feels comfortable making this move because it says a lot about the state of our society today. He's already admired by so many people and this is just icing on the cake. I just hope he doesn't let this new-found public voice distract him (and Apple) from doing what it needs to do.

azrich
Forum Regular
Oct 30, 2014, 10:32 AM

God bless him! Tim has some amazing shoes to fill. From what I've seen there's been a lot of people angry with him because he's 'not SJ' but I'm happy to say I've NOT seen much on orientation. Good.

There is some humor here- can't wait to hear the Samsung CEO come out.. or say that he came out years ago.

prl99
Senior User
Oct 30, 2014, 10:47 AM

I see some posters didn't heed the staff warning. I see lots of bigoted comments all over the web, including many on yahoo's finance page as AAPL tanks. The comments I see most offensive are from those Christians who seem to easily forget the statement, Love they neighbor as thyself.

climacs
Senior User
Oct 30, 2014, 10:52 AM

AAPL is down $0.50. That's not tanking.

iBricking.com
Banned
Oct 30, 2014, 11:53 AM

Thank you, pottymouth.

pairof9s
Senior User
Oct 30, 2014, 12:04 PM

I guess I'm still waiting to hear from someone on how this "news" affects my new iPhone 6, or my issues w/ files not showing up on iCloud.com, or that Yosemite on my Mac has made it better, or if any additional channels are coming to Apple TV.

Let's move on, folks...like he said, I don't think any of us want our personal lives, especially sexual elements, to be a part of a greater public commentary.

climacs
Senior User
Oct 30, 2014, 01:33 PM

I have to say, I don't understand the "gift from God" language. I'm straight and I'm white. I don't consider either a 'gift', it's just the way I am. If some hick in Alabama said, "being white is a gift from God", most people would probably think he's a white supremacist.

PJL500
Oct 30, 2014, 04:04 PM

@prl99 Tank? APPL is down 37 cents in todays trading. If you had invested in APPL a week ago and cashed out at the end of today you's have made about 10% on your investment.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Oct 30, 2014, 06:07 PM

As a reminder, "clean and rational." You were warned. You may not like Cook's lifestyle, and that's fine and open for discussion, but name calling isn't.

The line is here, there will be no more warnings, just permanent bans. As a reminder, posts in the news forums are also on the MacNN front page. Take inflammatory remarks and language to PWL.

davoud
Oct 30, 2014, 06:36 PM

There will always be those who stand by the side of the road with their knuckles dragging, muttering to themselves as they eat history's dust.

Ham Sandwich
Oct 30, 2014, 06:58 PM

This isn't really a "coming out." Tim Cook's gender preference is already pretty well known to the public.

And the media need to leave the guy alone. Why the hell do they feel like the need to get so involved?

Mr. Strat
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 30, 2014, 07:03 PM

Thank you for removing my comment. You certainly wouldn't want anything posted here that runs contrary to liberal dogma.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Oct 30, 2014, 10:33 PM

Okay, Mr. Strat. Now go back and re-read the post I left about discussion before your righteous indignation.

As a reminder, "clean and rational." You were warned. You may not like Cook's lifestyle, and that's fine and open for discussion, but name calling isn't.
The very first post in this thread, before the news post had even hit Google was the "be excellent to each other" post. You come in the thread five posts later, flaunt the rules, and decide to get huffy about it when I call you on it?

You want to express your disdain? Fine. Do so without using inflammatory language. I've got no issue with that. The minute you start with offensive language, specifically prohibited in the news forums, and YOU ARE DONE.

And if you think we have a "liberal dogma," you aren't reading closely enough.

Also, from the pinned forum rules:

Remain civil. While we don't censor based on your point of view, you must present your views in a civil manner.
If you'd like to re-present your thoughts in a civil fashion, without inflammatory language, feel free.
( Last edited by Mike Wuerthele; Oct 30, 2014 at 10:43 PM. )

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2014, 10:51 PM

See this. This is my surprised face.

TruthSeeker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2014, 09:16 AM

I feel sorry for Mr. Cook that he is confused about the gender God gave him.

The rest of this post has been deleted, removing an amazingly intolerant religious-based viewpoint, contrary to the church's guidance, designed to inflame. If TruthSeeker returns, and wants to be civil, we can continue this discussion.
( Last edited by Mike Wuerthele; Nov 11, 2014 at 03:55 PM. )

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 11, 2014, 10:09 AM

TruthSeeker: I would have gone with "TruthinessSeeker" as your nickname

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Nov 11, 2014, 10:17 AM

TruthSeeker, have you listened to your pope lately?

Read my post two posts above yours, and consider its words. I'm giving you a few hours to remove inflammatory language from your post, and speak your mind in a non-offensive fashion, keeping guidance from religious leaders in mind.

Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided. These persons are called to fulfill God's will in their lives and, if they are Christians, to unite to the sacrifice of the Lord's Cross the difficulties they may encounter from their condition.
( Last edited by Mike Wuerthele; Nov 11, 2014 at 10:38 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules