Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Data suggests iPhone 6 outselling 6 Plus by nearly 3-to-1 margin

Data suggests iPhone 6 outselling 6 Plus by nearly 3-to-1 margin
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Nov 14, 2014, 02:14 PM

Within the first 30 days of the phones' availability, the iPhone 6 outsold the iPhone 6 Plus by a margin of almost three-to-one, according to data from Consumer Intelligence Research Partners. The iPhone 6 accounted for 68 percent of all iPhone sales in that window, whereas the 6 Plus took home a little over 23 percent. The 5s and 5c -- which are still being manufactured -- together accounted for the remaining fraction.

The 6 and 6 Plus' performance surpasses what the 5s and 5c achieved during their own launch window in 2013, when together they accounted for 84 percent of iPhone sales. UBS analyst Steven Milunovich comments, however, that it's hard to judge real demand for the 6 Plus, since sales may be limited simply by the low quantities manufactured by Apple suppliers. Those manufacturers may now be getting orders to boost 6 Plus runs.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Nov 15, 2014 at 09:30 PM. )

prl99
Senior User
Nov 14, 2014, 03:16 PM

Of course the sales figures aren't from Apple so they're simply guesses. I guess some people just don't have anything better to do than to generate announcements bases on partial information.

CCRyder
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 14, 2014, 05:26 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if this number was true. Most people probably don't want a phablet. But Apple is converting those that do to iOS from Android with the 6+.

Mr. Strat
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 14, 2014, 06:27 PM

I got mine - that's all that matters.

:-)

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2014, 01:19 AM

I agree with CCRyder: the 6 Plus seems squarely aimed at Android switchers, whereas the 6 is the iPhone for people who've previously owned iPhones. Which is not to say that the 6 Plus might not make some current iPhone owners happy, but I'm currently quite satisfied with my iPad Air 2 and my 5s ... until the 6s comes out, mind you ...
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

que_ball
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2014, 01:57 AM

Still really rare to find a 64gb model of either here.

Thought the initial demand would be filled by now and all models would be easy to find. Guess not.

lochias
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2014, 07:08 PM

I agree with Mikunovich. The headline "iPhone 6 outselling 6+ by nearly 3-to-1" is completely meaningless. Apple is selling whatever 6's or 6+'s it makes. The ratio of sales is simply the manufacturing ratio.

1) Had they made all 6's they would have sold all of them.
2) If they had made all 6+, they would have sold all of those.
3) If they had made 17.4 times as many 6+'s, that's what they would have sold.

Until demand tet's up, the numbers say nothing whatever about user preference.

Forum Links
Forum Rules