Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Review: Apple iMac with 5K Retina display

Review: Apple iMac with 5K Retina display
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Dec 9, 2014, 08:59 AM

The Apple iMac with Retina 5K display is the first Apple desktop computer to sport one of Apple's vaunted Retina displays. Although it has taken some time for the technology to make its way to the larger display format, the wait has been worth it. While introducing a Retina display on the iMac may not be the biggest surprise, Apple certainly raised some eyebrows when it revealed the price. In delivering its latest high-performance all-in-one computer with state-of-the-art display for $2499, it has also managed to redefine the value equation in the segment. Read on in our full review of the iMac with 5K Retina display To see why we consider its asking price to be one of the best computing deals on the market.

( Last edited by NewsPoster; Dec 9, 2014 at 09:14 AM. )

jwdsail
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 9, 2014, 12:30 PM

Hmmm....

"one of the best computing deals on the market."

Odd, as going to the Apple Store, and configuring a 5K iMac the way I'd want, vs a Mac Pro the way I'd want, the Mac Pro only cost $300 more....

Neither is in the budget at this time, but when they are, the Mac Pro is the better deal for me.

DiabloConQueso
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 9, 2014, 01:00 PM

Does the Mac Pro you configured come with a 5k display (or a display at all)?

OldMacGeek
Forum Regular
Dec 9, 2014, 01:13 PM

I was looking at the Mac Pro, but decided to go for the Retina iMac. The screen sold me. I bumped the specs up as much as I could to compensate - 4.0 i7, extra RAM, and the 295 video card. This will replace an 8-core Xeon old-style Mac Pro, so it is at least a step up - and one I can afford now. I sure do wish Apple would bundle all of the studio apps again though . . .

pottymouth
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 9, 2014, 03:36 PM

I replaced my old 8-core Xeon 2 years ago with a 2.6 i7 MacMini w/fusion drive. I was blown away. Why I put up with that aging machine for so long, I have no idea. I guess I just thought bigger was better. (I do heavy print/photo/illustration work all day every day; no video. Your results may vary.)

I'm actually shopping for a few more office machines for other departments right now and those iMacs are looking pretty tasty. But our editors are gonna be pissed when they find out the trade off for a shiny new machine is that they have to run Mavericks and lose their color coding systems. Ha!

pottymouth
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 9, 2014, 03:37 PM

...and of course by "Mavericks", I mean "Yosemite".

HappyPhil
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 9, 2014, 06:01 PM

That does look like an iMac I would upgrade to. I think I will check to see if I can get it with Mountain Lion and all the pre Mavericks basic Apps. That would be one beautiful platform for those of us creative users who find the industrial ugliness and clunky performance of Mavericks/Yosemite distracting and unusable.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2014, 10:10 PM

There's no industrial ugliness nor clunky performance in either Mavericks or Yosemite on the machines we use here. But if you've got a fireplace full of design awards and benchmarks that contradict Ive and Geekbench, we'd be happy to look at them ...
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Forum Links
Forum Rules