Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Breaking: US reverses, to say North Korea behind Sony hack tomorrow

Breaking: US reverses, to say North Korea behind Sony hack tomorrow
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Dec 17, 2014, 09:00 PM

US government officials now believe North Korea is, in fact, behind the attack of Sony Pictures Entertainment's computer system and subsequent data leaks, according to reports. The government is also said to be preparing to make an official statement about its findings, which may arrive as soon as tomorrow, though apparently there is still some internal debate as to what kind of response to make to the insular country. Previously, the FBI had said it had "no evidence" of a direct North Korean connection, though the country was suspected from the outset.

Sources for CNN, as well as The New York Times and NBC News, cite government sources as now being confident that the attack was performed by parties working on behalf of North Korea. While the attacks stemmed from outside the country's borders, it is strongly believed the government of Kim Jong Un ordered the attack, with one source stating "we have found linkage to the North Korean government."

The actual response from the US government is still being hammered out before being released. Directly confronting the North Korean government may end up revealing how the US discovered the information, or that it accessed North Korean computer networks, potentially cutting off one of its information sources, according to the paper. It is also suggested a direct response could cause an escalation, potentially something more damaging than the Sony hack, as well as damaging relations and jeopardizing negotiations between North Korea and other countries, such as Japan's diplomacy attempt to recover kidnapped Japanese nationals.

Shortly after the hack took place, a United Nations diplomat representing North Korea refuted claims of involvement, despite code used by the "Guardians of Peace" hacking group being compiled in Korean. Last week, the assistant director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation's cyber division Joe Demarest claimed the attack could not be attributed to North Korea at that time.

Earlier today, after threats were made against theaters and the audience of comedy film The Interview, a number of cinema chains declared they would not be showing the movie on its December 25 release. Shortly after, Sony Pictures advised it would no longer be releasing the film on that date. North Korea's attack on Sony Pictures appears to center around the film, which focuses on a fictional assassination attempt against North Korea's Supreme Leader, Kim Jong Un.

schmidty
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2014, 09:06 PM

Children. We have children running this country [into the ground]. This administration is a joke.

HappyPhil
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2014, 09:26 PM

What government sources did NBC, CNN, and the New York Times get this information from? Why report something without verifying the source? The MSM has no more credibility than supermarket tabloids these days.

shawnde
Forum Regular
Dec 17, 2014, 10:45 PM

While I think the North Koreans are over-reacting, I do wonder what would Americans do, if say the Russians or North Koreans, or even other nations made a comedy/mockery movie about the US President being assassinated? Would they take it lightly, and laugh along, or would they bomb the country who's making the film. How about some of you patriots chime in and let us know how you'd feel. I'm not North Korean or American, but I always wonder if the shoe was on the other foot, what would happen?

coffeetime
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 17, 2014, 11:20 PM

Interesting view point Shawnde. I think most of the Americans would roll their eye balls up and move on with their lives except one loner or a group of patriot extremist (or even FBI, CIA) would hack the studio that makes the film just for Ha Ha? Don't really know. But "The Interview" is shown here in U.S. For any outsider to come to your house to tell you that you can't show that movie to your friends in your own home or else he will burn down your house is a bit too much.

garmonbosia
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2014, 11:23 PM

We already know how how much of America would react. Just go to any tea party rally in any of the former slave states and you'll see Americans calling for the assassination of Obama. It's gott so bad that comments like shmidty's aren't even commented on any more.

Steve Wilkinson
Senior User
Dec 18, 2014, 01:06 AM

Yep, I'm sure the media outlets will get a carefully prepared 'media package' on what to disperse to the masses. Whether it has any basis in reality behind it, who knows, and of course, no one will investigate or question it.
------
Steve Wilkinson
Web designer | Christian apologist
cgWerks | TilledSoil.org

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2014, 01:13 AM

I'll wait for schmidty to come up with a line of logic that magically changes the decision of the cinemas and Sony Pictures not to release the film into something personally handled by President Obama. I'm *sure* he has that line of logic at the ready ...
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Dec 18, 2014, 08:48 AM

This is more about the hack causing a change in behaviors, and less about a political response. Lets keep the discussion that way, please.

schmidty
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 18, 2014, 09:53 AM

SHAWNDE: Please inform yourself about the 2006 movie "Death of a President" in which President Bush was assassinated by a sniper, released to coincide with the fifth anniversary of the 9/11 attacks.
-

Not surprising that you have not heard of it, as all of those right winger tea party types more or less shrugged and went on with their lives ...no death threats, no threat of retaliation. However, I doubt they "laughed along", as assassination of any president is never a laughing matter (or should be depicted as *entertainment*.
-

It may surprise you to learn that we do take our first amendment seriously in America.
-

Mike, I agree that this hack and the ensuing reaction is alarming on several fronts, primarily because it gives the unequivocal message that a threat will be acquiesced to, which as any psych 101 student knows not only gives power to the person threatening but will lead to more and escalating threats.
-

Sun Tzu 101: never lay bare your throat to your enemies. Weakness begets aggression and, like it or not, this is the way of human nature. See Neville Chamberlain, circa 1940.
-

Charles Martin: As for me somehow laying this at Obama's feet ...have you read the above article? This was, initially, a story about Sony being hacked and threatened. The US gov was not a part of the story until it was. "Sources for CNN, as well as The New York Times and NBC News, cite government sources as now being confident that the attack was performed by parties working on behalf of North Korea." Are you seriously saying this administration had nothing to do with the pulling of this movie? If not, then why are they suddenly part of this story?
-

Does their past history of appeasement to tyrants and terrorists mean nothing?

climacs
Senior User
Dec 18, 2014, 10:23 AM

"Please inform yourself about the 2006 movie "Death of a President" in which President Bush was assassinated by a sniper, released to coincide with the fifth anniversary of the 9/11 attacks."

I've never effing heard of that "film". Was it released directly to YouTube?Also, can you please clarify your moral code? It appears that you feel like you can say anything you like so long as you can point to some nobody somewhere who said something you don't agree with. Do I have that correctly?

schmidty
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 18, 2014, 10:50 AM

climacs:

"Death of a President" officially premiered at the 2006 Toronto International Film Festival on 10 September 2006.
-

Of course I can what I choose to say; I have not yet draped/shackled myself in political correctness.
-

Which cited *nobody* are you referring to? Chamberlain? SunTzu? A psych 101 student?

climacs
Senior User
Dec 18, 2014, 12:37 PM

you can get help for Obama Derangement Syndrome. Just dial 1-800-IMAWINGNUT

Grendelmon
Senior User
Dec 18, 2014, 01:05 PM

What's wrong with this picture?

Originally Posted by schmidty View Post
However, I doubt they "laughed along", as assassination of any president is never a laughing matter (or should be depicted as *entertainment*.
vs.

It may surprise you to learn that we do take our first amendment seriously in America.

I understand that the mockumentary was a British flick, but the principle applies. If you take the First Amendment seriously, then you should have no qualm about this. Imagine that it was an American film. Poor taste? Perhaps. But it's the same concept of burning the American flag. We have a freedom of speech to do so.

schmidty
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 18, 2014, 01:43 PM

Grendelmon: Not finding an assassination flick laughable is not in conflict with respect for first amendment rights. Is there a point in there somewhere?

climacs: sorry, I didn't realize I was engaged in dialogue with a high-schooler.

Grendelmon
Senior User
Dec 18, 2014, 02:13 PM

Grendelmon: Not finding an assassination flick laughable is not in conflict with respect for first amendment rights. Is there a point in there somewhere?
Frankly, I was trying to decipher any sort of point you were trying to make in your previous posts. Did you create your MacNN account today just so you could troll this article?

Flying Meat
Senior User
Dec 18, 2014, 02:30 PM

Fox News would collectively suffer a brain hemorrhage if some other country did a similar movie targeting the US. It would of course also be Obama's fault.

climacs
Senior User
Dec 18, 2014, 03:10 PM

all you need to know about schmidty is contained in his/her first comment at the top of the thread. Everything bad everywhere is Obama's fault, and every subject of discussion is one degree of separation from schmidty's hatred of Obama, the end. All the rest is handwaving.

Forum Links
Forum Rules