Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > CalDigit reveals $200 Thunderbolt Station 2

CalDigit reveals $200 Thunderbolt Station 2
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Dec 19, 2014, 01:41 PM

CalDigit has launched the Thunderbolt Station 2, a new Thunderbolt 2 dock. Like some alternatives, the dock includes two Thunderbolt 2 ports, three powered USB 3.0 ports, and connections for HDMI, Ethernet, and audio input/output. Two eSATA 6G ports are also present, supporting storage formats not normally enabled by a Thunderbolt dock.

The product is also just $200 by default, making it $30 cheaper than Elgato's dock and $100 less than Belkin's. During the preorder phase, the TS2 can be had for just $170; at either price, however, the dock lacks a Thunderbolt cable, and buying a bundle with a 1m cable brings the cost up to $235 standard, or $205 during the preorder window.

The device uses a Macbook-like aluminum enclosure, and puts the audio ports up front, along with one of the three USB 3.0 connections. CalDigit is planning to ship the TS2 on January 26.

( Last edited by NewsPoster; Dec 19, 2014 at 07:12 PM. )

santa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 19, 2014, 03:03 PM

finally an affordable thunderbolt dock my elves can use

prl99
Senior User
Dec 19, 2014, 03:31 PM

OWC is selling a similar one for $249, https://eshop.macsales.com/preorder/OWC-Thunderbolt2-Dock/, with 5 USB, no eSATA ports but it has a FW800 port. I guess I should stop complaining about the cost since a BookEndz docking station for a MacBook usually runs in the mid $250 range and doesn't include Thunderbolt. The key buying point is whether it has the ports you really need. I could see eSATA for existing eSATA drive arrays but 6G is slow compared to direct TB-2 driven arrays. eSATA is faster than USB3 but not by a huge margin while TB-2 dusts them both. I know disk arrays are expensive but I wonder if any of those arrays have retrofit kits to replace the interface instead of having to replace the entire cabinet and electronics. I have FW800 drives and need Firewire connectivity for some older camcorders. I can easily buy a TB to firewire cable for those and the newer iMacs usually have plenty of USB ports so I have to ask what benefit these docks really have other than providing a single connection point for laptops.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 19, 2014, 03:47 PM

I just got the Belkin Express Thunderbolt Dock for 89€ plus VAT on an Amazon super special. This is the old one; no Thunderbolt 2, but it has a Firewire 800 port, and it was finally at a justifiable price. Yay!

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Dec 19, 2014, 04:25 PM

The days of interchangeable bridge boards (in this case, eSATA for a TB one) are long past, I think.

chimaera
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 19, 2014, 08:48 PM

Do the eSATA ports support Port Multiplier? Do the USB ports support hubs? It's unclear from their site - even their FAQs are silent. And the pictures are inconclusive.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Dec 20, 2014, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by chimaera View Post
Do the eSATA ports support Port Multiplier? Do the USB ports support hubs? It's unclear from their site - even their FAQs are silent. And the pictures are inconclusive.

The USB ports SHOULD support hubs, but the ESATA question still needs to be answered. I've asked for one for review, and we'll all find out together.

Forum Links
Forum Rules