Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Amazon lays claim to 10 million new Prime members over holiday

Amazon lays claim to 10 million new Prime members over holiday
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Dec 26, 2014, 01:29 PM

In a release today, Amazon claims that the company's 20th holiday season has brought "record growth" to the Amazon Prime subscription service, despite a price hike to $100 per year earlier in 2014. Amazon reports that more than 10 million new members worldwide tried Prime for the first time, with nearly 60 percent of customers shopping on a mobile device. Other highlights from Amazon for the holiday point to the Fire TV Stick being the fastest-selling Amazon device ever, expansion of Sunday delivery to thousands of US cities, and delivery to 185 countries.

This year, Amazon added nearly a dozen new features and benefits to Prime. In addition to Prime Instant Video and the Kindle Owners Lending Library, members now have access Prime Music, Prime Photos, Prime Pantry, Amazon Elements, exclusive streaming content, early access to select Lightning Deals, exclusive pricing on select Amazon devices, and special pricing on same-day delivery in certain areas. Following the November launch of Prime Photos, members also uploaded nearly one billion photos with free unlimited photo storage in Amazon Cloud Drive.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Dec 29, 2014 at 05:15 AM. )

Inkling
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 26, 2014, 02:30 PM

It's call gaming the system and goes like this. On November 30th or so, join for the free 30-days of Prime membership. On December 27th or so, quit Prime. Result: Free two-day shipping for Christmas
Author of Untangling Tolkien and Chesterton on War and Peace

climacs
Senior User
Dec 26, 2014, 03:09 PM

what Inkling said. Hey Amazon, let us know next month how many of those people actually paid for a year of Prime in January.

pairof9s
Senior User
Dec 26, 2014, 07:18 PM

Ditto...just canceled my 30-day trial 10 minutes ago.

thinkman
Dec 26, 2014, 08:19 PM

Certain faces just give me the willies, Kim Kartrashian, Paris Hilton, Jeff Bezos. Not sure why - I suspect, though, it's because they all have one thing in common. They're Hos.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2014, 07:42 AM

I agree that 90 percent of that "10 million new users" are probably going to quit after the trial, but to be fair Amazon is trying to make Prime more "sticky," and have genuinely added value to the package from when it was $80.

It may not be for everyone, and I'm still on the fence about my own subscription (which I got just before the price increase so I have until March to decide), but it is fair to say that if such things as unlimited photo storage or Prime Video or the Lending Library are important to you, then they are probably worth the extra $20/year. I certainly try to get my $80 worth out of Amazon in shipping and other perks, particularly around Christmas.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

wr11
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 28, 2014, 01:50 AM

Yep... this article reminded me it was time to make sure my free trial was cancelled. $80 in Canada for almost nothing is far from good value.

Forum Links
Forum Rules