Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > MO lawmaker proposes requiring ID for Google Wallet, Apple Pay sales

MO lawmaker proposes requiring ID for Google Wallet, Apple Pay sales
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Jan 24, 2015, 11:07 AM

A St. Louis, Missouri governmental official sees weakness in electronic payment security, and is seeking to mandate identification presentation in conjunction with an Apple Pay transaction, or other similar electronic payments. Democrat Joshua Peters from Missouri's state House of Representatives bill will, if passed into law, not only mandate sales staff to verify the identity of the purchaser, but retain this information as well.

The identification requirement may be helpful to deter fraud with electronic transactions without authentication, like the competing CurrentC mobile wallet. However, Apple Pay -- and Google Wallet to a lesser extent -- requires user authentication: a fingerprint, in the case of Apple Pay transactions.

The bill, introduced Wednesday, would hold retailers responsible for fraudulent purchases should the information not be obtained and retained. Not addressed is how the retailers will couple this information with a secure transaction, which could also cause security problems not only with the transaction itself, but a master list of identification, which would be a tempting theft target.

( Last edited by NewsPoster; Jan 25, 2015 at 10:04 AM. )

blshaw
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2015, 01:00 PM

Mandate that sales staff verify the identity? A fingerprint isn't adequate? What's this guy drinking?

prl99
Senior User
Jan 24, 2015, 01:08 PM

I read elsewhere that credit card companies don't require and actually state that stores can't check check a person's ID to use a credit card. You just have to sign the back. I think this politician needs to do some research into what he's asking for to see how the credit card contracts are already written as well as how ApplePay and others actually work. Maybe he's only trying to force CurrentC to require and ID.

jpellino
Forum Regular
Jan 24, 2015, 01:29 PM

Please tell me the word "tubes" isn't in this bill...
Just sayin'

rycardo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2015, 02:18 PM

The headline reads "MI lawmaker..." MI is Michigan, I didn't read anything about a Michigan lawmaker in this story.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Jan 24, 2015, 02:36 PM

Yeah, Rycardo, I blew it.

Fixed.

James Katt
Jan 24, 2015, 02:58 PM

Some - many - lawmakers are just plain stupid.
This one is mandating the collection of data which can be used for identity theft.
Are some of his relatives in prison? Are they advising him on this law?

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2015, 04:06 PM

This idiot Peters needs to find a new line of work where he is not able to introduce potential laws that are absurd to anyone with a scrap of intelligence.

efithian
Jan 24, 2015, 04:44 PM

If this should pass, the solution is simple. When the clerk asks for ID, refuse. Leave the merchandise at the checkout and leave.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Jan 24, 2015, 04:57 PM

That's not a great solution, and burdens the retailer, who likely is as displeased about the situation as the consumer is.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Jan 24, 2015, 05:21 PM

"That's not a great solution, and burdens the retailer, who likely is as displeased about the situation as the consumer is."
And the retailer will not be happy about losing a sale because of a stupid nonsensical law. Enough lost sales and that law will be history.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Jan 24, 2015, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by msuper69 View Post
"That's not a great solution, and burdens the retailer, who likely is as displeased about the situation as the consumer is."
And the retailer will not be happy about losing a sale because of a stupid nonsensical law. Enough lost sales and that law will be history.
You're assuming that most voters and lawmakers will care about this new retail sale abandonment problem. Retailers and Apple Pay consumers are a very small portion of the populace, and lawmakers are generally luddites.

jdonahoe
Forum Regular
Jan 25, 2015, 02:33 AM

Come on, the only reason he's requiring this information is Missouri is the Show Me state.

aardman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2015, 04:04 PM

I am both heartened and saddened to see that no one party has a monopoly on stupidity. (Though one has a dominant market share.)

davidlfoster
Jan 25, 2015, 05:21 PM

Morons. I am increasingly becoming an anarchist. Allow retailers to RETAIN our identification. Exactly how? Sounds like a potential revival of the tried and true legal tender called CASH.

DiabloConQueso
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 25, 2015, 07:49 PM

Thank goodness we have lawmakers discerning whether or not payment schemes are secure or not, and coming up with technologically advanced and secure fixes on their own if they're not. I had no idea a degree in computer security was required for them to hold their current political position, and I feel so much safer now.

Grendelmon
Senior User
Jan 26, 2015, 10:29 AM

Wow... why am I not surprised to see people claiming that the legislature in MO are "idiots", "morons" and some threatening to become anarchists because of this subject.

Seriously, people?

Originally Posted by efithian View Post
If this should pass, the solution is simple. When the clerk asks for ID, refuse. Leave the merchandise at the checkout and leave.

You fanatics are certainly a sensitive bunch.

robttwo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2015, 10:57 AM

But shouldn't the government regulate everything and take care of us?

pairof9s
Senior User
Jan 26, 2015, 01:54 PM

This is a great idea since it'll now require even further time for the purchase...time enough for the clerk to check to see if the person behind is indeed holding a gun to the buyer's back during this heinous crime.

Forum Links
Forum Rules