Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Apple tipsters claim Apple electric minivan in the works

Apple tipsters claim Apple electric minivan in the works
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Feb 14, 2015, 10:50 AM

Rumors are swirling, with the general consensus that Apple is intending to built a mass-market electric car. Apple's project, said to be codenamed "Titan" seems to have several hundred people working on it, and combines reports of a ex-Ford designer hire, as well as confirmed discussions Apple CEO Tim Cook held a year ago with Tesla CEO Elon Musk.

Business Insider quotes a tipster's email, claiming that Apple has hired engineers away from Tesla for vehicle development. The recent Apple Hire Marc Newson, confirmed my Newson's LinkedIn profile, designed the 021C Ford concept car, a design called "Apple-ish" by analysts.

The Wall Street Journal claimsthat Apple executives are in the midst of discussions with "contract manufacturers for high-end cars." MacObserver, without giving any specific quotes, cites its own sources confirming the effort.

All of the reports remind readers that Apple, and other Silicon Valley companies, start development on a product and don't conclude them, for whatever the reason -- Apple's design history is no different. A quick perusal of history suggests that more Apple executives now work for Tesla than the other way around, with Apple trying to stem the tide.

While Apple has a solid distribution chain, it would either have to partner with existing dealerships to sell the product or build out its own series of dealerships -- which we see no evidence of at this early stage if a car is even in serious development. At this point, Apple's electric vehicle would have to fight the consumer inertia of the lowest prices for gasoline in over a decade -- a problem that Tesla is having right now, having lost over $300 million in the last year, with little or no profit expected in the next year.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 14, 2015, 11:46 AM

iCar is the new Apple TV set. Let's see how many years of disappointment this particular rumour carries through.

daqman
Forum Regular
Feb 14, 2015, 02:09 PM

Oh great, now I'll have to buy a new car every two years because the best features of the late OS won't run on the old one...
Beware of geeks bearing Gifs

bobolicious
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2015, 02:49 PM

...our local tesla showroom is in the mall almost across from the apple store... I see tesla on the road almost every time I drive... Hmmm...

coffeetime
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 14, 2015, 03:38 PM

Of course older iOS can run iCar, just slower.

SergioRS
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 14, 2015, 03:44 PM

When it runs out of wiper fluid under warranty, the Genius Garage will swap the whole car out for a refurb. Out of warranty? Time to upgrade to the new model.

coffeetime
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 14, 2015, 08:14 PM

And no one can steal your iCar, the door handle has finger print sensor and you can disable engine remotely from iCloud.

coffeetime
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 14, 2015, 08:20 PM

Forget where you parked? Download "Find My iCar".

I am pretty sure Tesla is already ahead of the game on this type of things. Tesla unfortunately is not for the mass. If Apple can pull this off like iPhone does, Apple would be the next "Ford".
( Last edited by coffeetime; Feb 15, 2015 at 08:29 AM. )

mac_in_tosh
Forum Regular
Feb 14, 2015, 10:23 PM

The car doesn't have any user-servicable parts - the hood is permanently sealed. To change anything, like brake fluid, you have to put the car on a lift and completely remove the underbody.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Feb 15, 2015, 01:08 PM

But will we be able to boot into Classic mode where the car reverts to regular car?

Ham Sandwich
Feb 15, 2015, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by mac_in_tosh View Post
The car doesn't have any user-servicable parts - the hood is permanently sealed. To change anything, like brake fluid, you have to put the car on a lift and completely remove the underbody.
Great... what do I do if my windshield wiper fluid goes low and I still have 100 miles to go on my trip?

climacs
Senior User
Feb 16, 2015, 07:21 PM

funny stuff but seriously... these rumors are stupid. It's much more likely Apple is working on something that your car comes equipped with (think CarPlay 2.0) or even self-driving cars Apple-style, than making and selling cars.

Ham Sandwich
Feb 20, 2015, 01:31 PM

http://www.macnn.com/articles/15/02/...ent.timetable/

They're not stupid rumors. Apparently they are making these cars for real.

I'm just extremely skeptical because they still can't get their computers to work right.

( Last edited by Mike Wuerthele; Today at 12:45 PM. Reason: We report the same things, you know!)
^ I checked the list of threads twice and just didn't see that you had posted it there and I have 20/20 vision
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Feb 20, 2015 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Because I had a reason for editing.)

Forum Links
Forum Rules