Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > First US magazine appearance of Apple Watch debuts

First US magazine appearance of Apple Watch debuts
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Feb 18, 2015, 08:22 PM

Four months after the Apple Watch first appeared on a Vogue China magazine cover, the March issue of health and lifestyle magazine Self will feature the device on the arm of supermodel Candice Swanepoel just a few weeks before the expected debut of the device, which will start in the $349 range (presumably for the fitness-oriented version featured on the cover), moving into the multiple thousands of dollars for the 18kt solid gold version.

No new details on the device are mentioned in the accompanying article, which largely borrows from existing reporting on the Apple Watch, but it is the first time the Sport version has been seen on a cover. Up to this point, Apple's marketing of the device has been oriented around fashion, but the appearance in Self would suggest that the company is also gearing up to push the fitness and health-monitoring aspects of the watch as well.

( Last edited by NewsPoster; Feb 18, 2015 at 11:59 PM. )

twolf2919
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 18, 2015, 08:52 PM

Just as in the original Apple Watch announcement videos, this model looks to be using the watch to keep track of her running. But weren't we told that the Apple Watch requires an iPhone to be really useful - since it doesn't have its own GPS, it wouldn't even be able to measure distance run without one.

Yet in none of the shots/videos we see an iPhone on any of the runners (and with the tight outfits being worn, there really isn't anyolace one could be hiding). And what serious runner would take a genormous iPhone 6+ on their run anyway?

Am I missing something?

climacs
Senior User
Feb 18, 2015, 09:40 PM

a lot of people carry their phone with them, even while jogging. It's not the big deal you make it out to be.

Inkling
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 18, 2015, 09:46 PM

First appearance: Vogue China. Second appearance: This lovely South African supermodel. It does look like Apple is targeted this phone to women. I don't know how well that will go over. Women may say: "Oh, it's too big and too clunky for me." (Note the picture above.) Men may say: "Oh, it's a women's watch."

There's another mixed message that may come out closer to release when Apple tries to market it both as a sports watch and one for monitoring your health. The first is a mostly young audience. The second is mostly older. Another mixed message.

This isn't a smartphone. Men and women, young and old use smartphones. This is a watch and watches reach only specific groups. Trying for too broad a a customer base, Apple may appeal to no one.
Author of Untangling Tolkien and Chesterton on War and Peace

coffeetime
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 18, 2015, 09:56 PM

I wonder if the watch can work alone by gathering all info while jogging. Once home, it syncs with iPhone for a complete report.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2015, 10:08 PM

twolf2919: the Apple Watch is entirely capable of tracking distance without GPS (by simply counting the steps and timing of the run), and should be able to store that basic information until it can transmit this data to the iPhone. More detailed information (like map placement) might require the iPhone, but most of the runners I've seen keep their iPhone tucked away behind them (small of the back area).

Inkling: there are men's and women's sizes of the Apple Watch, in case you weren't aware. I agree that the marketing has thus far been to women, but given the number of prominent athletes Apple has been seen to be speaking with, I don't expect that will remain so exclusive. As for "mixed" messages, I don't think it is any more "mixed" than saying the iPhone can function as a phone -- and do other things. Such a "mixed message" is precisely why the iPhone appeals across all age groups. I don't know if Apple will be able to convince non-watch wearers (like me) to buy one, but people who already wear watches or fitness bands (a very diverse group, in my observation) are definitely a target market.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

makemineamac
Feb 18, 2015, 10:36 PM

I have always run with my iPhone and will continue to do so once I get the Apple Watch too.It's tucked into a waist belt and currently feeds me my running data to a Pebble watch.

Anything can happen on a long run as well so I like to be able to be connected in case of an emergency.

elroth
Forum Regular
Feb 19, 2015, 02:23 AM

Inkling, you act like this is the only picture anyone will ever see of the Apple Watch. Calm down - there will be plenty of different ways Apple will market it, showing many different possibilities and uses.

Jeronimo2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 19, 2015, 11:07 AM

Inkling also seems to forget that there will be two physical sizes of the Apple Watch.

pairof9s
Senior User
Feb 19, 2015, 01:33 PM

I have to somewhat agree with Inkling in that this does appear to be bulky. I feel this is just another "version 1.0" syndrome...Apple will fine tune the appearance & operation in later versions. As great as the iPhone was, the original now seems clunky and unrefined compared to today's models.

Still, Apple Watch looks better than the behemoths like Samsung Gear S, where everybody within 15 ft of you can read your watch's pop-up notification "Check on STD results"!!

Jeronimo2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 19, 2015, 03:27 PM

pairof9s: of course it looks bulky on freakishly thin models. You could slap a poststamp on her wrist and it would still make you fear it might cause her to topple over.

Apart from that, you are absolutely correct – just look at the first-gen iPad. What a monster, even compared to the iPad 2. So, v2 of the Apple Watch will most definitely be thinner. Still, that won't necessarily mean that v1 will be a flop. As I've said before, it's pointless to argue over the success of the Apple Watch at this stage, as we simply don't KNOW all that much about it for sure, let alone have seen one in the flesh.

Speculation of how much appeal the Watch will have, and to whom, is strictly reservered for trolls at this point in time. The rest of us will happily wait until April.

miawj
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2015, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Jeronimo2000 View Post
pairof9s: of course it looks bulky on freakishly thin models. You could slap a poststamp on her wrist
Except the range of size of wrist does not equal range of bicep or thigh. Any model is closer to most normal wrists than is Popeye.

Forum Links
Forum Rules