Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Apple reportedly launching wide public beta of iOS 8.3 in May

Apple reportedly launching wide public beta of iOS 8.3 in May
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Feb 21, 2015, 11:30 AM

According to "sources familiar with the matter," Apple is intending to launch more public beta releases of upcoming system software, starting with a revision to iOS8 in mid-May. The move may be intended to help deflect criticism of recent, high-profile bugs in releases of both Apple's iOS, as well as in its desktop operating system, OS X.

Enthusiast site 9to5 Mac initially reported on the potential release with Re/Code following up with a report from anonymous sources of its own. The iOS revision, 8.3, is currently in the hands of developers. The approach would reportedly mirror that of the OS X Yosemite public beta release, which was provided to nearly all that requested it, but lagged behind developer test releases.

There are Apple practices that would have to be grossly modified. Apple has made it intentionally very difficult for the public to "roll back" to a previous operating system, to prevent users or hackers from being able to exploit flaws in the operating system either to jailbreak, or attack the devices. Apple would also have to communicate clearly that the release isn't stable, and may prevent critical user software from functioning, something that the company has had difficulty with in the past.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Feb 23, 2015 at 10:36 AM. )

Ham Sandwich
Feb 21, 2015, 12:40 PM

Oh yay, I bet Apple can't wait to hear from me, again...

(and then add me to their ignore list, again...)

Stuke
Forum Regular
Feb 21, 2015, 01:45 PM

Never under Jobs! This is just Apple's way of admitting they don't have the resources (cough, cough) to do the excellent programming in Mac OSX and iOS last decade, the period where the ecosystem was invented.
--
Stuke

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Feb 21, 2015, 01:56 PM

If you couldn't tell, I'm skeptical that this will happen.

sknifton
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2015, 06:32 PM

no thanks ... be a lab monkey for some beta system that's riddled with faults, issues, black holes and bugs ? apple's stable systems are bad enough ....

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2015, 01:30 AM

As Mike indicated, this would require a big change in how Apple distributes iOS betas, and lots and lots and lots (and lots) of warnings, so he and I are rather skeptical, at least at this point. It should be treated as a rumor, at least for now.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Ham Sandwich
Feb 22, 2015, 02:02 PM

If Apple does another beta program like this, then I wish that Apple would focus more on how to organize everyone's feedback. Perhaps limit the beta testing program to anyone who (i) already uses iOS 8 and (ii) is running 10.10.2 or later... and out of those people, select 5000 candidates, and give them a one-week window to beta test (with some recommended guidelines on how to test and report the bug). This may not help in getting people to find all of the bugs, but it would make organizing the reports much easier for Apple when compared to the much bigger mountain of reports that I'm guessing Apple got from the Yosemite public beta.

But then again I kind of feel that Apple does something similar to this with their developer program so I'm not sure how Apple would (if they do...) extend to the public more.

pairof9s
Senior User
Feb 23, 2015, 09:30 AM

Check your headline...it says May, article says March.

Forum Links
Forum Rules