Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Apple Watch: plethora of details leak as public debut nears

Apple Watch: plethora of details leak as public debut nears
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Mar 3, 2015, 12:35 AM

As the publicity machine shifts into high gear in preparation for the public debut of the Apple Watch on March 9, new details and additional features, applications and other bits of information are making their way into the press. The codename for the project, for example, was "Gizmo," reports The New York Times. Among other revelations are the role that former Adobe Flash chief Kevin Lynch played, power-saving and style details, and the news that the watch will also launch abroad in its first month.

Speaking to retail employees at a flagship Apple Store in Berlin, CEO Tim Cook allegedly confirmed that the Apple Watch will appear in countries other than just the United States during its first month of sales, not unlike the recent debut of the iPhone 6 or latest iPads. Cook supposedly said that the Watch would come to Germany in its first month, though he didn't specify if the launch would be simultaneous with the US. The UK, France, Australia, China, and potentially Canada are expected to be in the first wave of countries that receive the Apple Watch outside the US, since there have been indications of training and other signs that stores in those countries are preparing for the product.

It is quite possible that the Apple Watch will be a US exclusive for a short period following its April retail arrival, but quickly spread to other countries later that same month, with a second wave of countries shortly afterward. Canada is thought to be in the first wave both due to tradition, and the possibility that Apple Pay will be in place in the country by April, due in part to its high percentage of merchants already equipped with NFC-compatible EMV terminals.

An agreement to bring Apple Pay to America's northern neighbor is mostly awaiting regulatory approval from Canada's traditionally-conservative banks, sources tell MacNN. China could be delayed in receiving the Apple Watch as well, due to the same regulatory hurdles.

Apple employees to get free Apple Watch?

While in Berlin, Cook was asked if Apple Store employees would be given Apple Watches to wear, at least while on duty -- similar to when the company gifted all its employees with iPhones in 2007 -- with Cook saying only "you've given me something to think about ... I think [all our employees] should use our products." He promised to give the idea further consideration, saying "I've got some more plane rides to think about it on."

Cook also elaborated a bit on earlier comments about Apple Pay outside the US, saying it was a "global" program, and that "we want it everywhere." He also noted that it would "take a little bit of time to [implement worldwide] ... we want to be in Europe generally this year. I don't know if we will make it, I think we will. It's our intention to get here as fast as we can."

Software and battery life

Cook also hinted at many software announcements to go with the debut of the Apple Watch next week, suggesting there would be "a ton" of announcements on or just after the press event. One example allegedly given during the talk with German retail workers was that "some of the best hotels in the world" would use the Apple Watch to unlock room doors, as some hotels allow the iPhone to do today. "So people are beginning to think about doing not only cool things with their apps, but how it changes their whole business," he said. Starwood Hotels had already announced it was developing an Apple Watch app.

According to reports, some 100 developers working on Watch apps have already been invited to Cupertino to receive assistance from Apple with design, testing, and code optimization for their projects. Cook's conversation with the German workers specifically mentioned Panera Bread, a strong Apple Pay advocate, and Salesforce as two companies among many that are developing Watch apps.

Also revealed was a little more insight into Cook's recent comments that the Watch now offers "a full day" of use (though it must still be recharged on a nightly basis). As has been widely speculated, the device will use intelligent power management to put non-essential functions to "sleep" when not in use, and activate the display only when the Watch is raised in an effort to save power. When the battery is running low, the Times report says, the Apple Watch will display just the time until its last reserves are exhausted.

More pictures in print as fashion charm offensive continues

Meanwhile, another set of fashion spreads featuring the Apple Watch have appeared in foreign magazines. The UK magazine Style and the Hong Kong men's fashion mag East Touch have both shown off the device, with the former confirming that the Space Gray Sport version of the watch will sell for $349, reinforcing recent speculation that the Sport version would be the least expensive model. Other pricing tiers have remained unrevealed.

In the Hong Kong spread, all three versions of the Apple Watch -- including the stainless-steel model and the 18-karat solid gold Edition -- are featured in the pictures, which are unusually shown only on men rather than the usual female models that have been predominant in earlier photo shoots. The cover features an unworn Edition with a black leather band and black Digital Crown.

The UK Style spread was across three pages of its "Big Spring" issue, and features four different covers -- all showcasing the Apple Watch -- and two separate stories. Style is distributed as part of the Sunday Times in the UK, ensuring huge national exposure.

Behind the scenes

Apart from the watch itself, some details about the development process of the Apple Watch have started to emerge. One particular revelation that has come to light is the role of former Adobe Chief Technical Officer Kevin Lynch, who was the lead on the software development team for the project. Lynch has been with Apple since 2013, and was best known prior to joining the iPhone maker for defending Adobe's Flash technology when Apple and former CEO Steve Jobs chose to turn away from it on the iOS platform.

Jobs, as is often the case, turned out to be entirely accurate in his brutal assessment of Flash, and Adobe eventually gave up on mobile Flash entirely -- and have gently moved away from Flash as a primary web platform, though it remains popular in other areas. Lynch, alongside chief hardware and software designer Sir Jonathan Ive, and operations leader Jeff Williams, worked together to match the software and technical elements and the design into a unified concept.

The device was known under the code name "Gizmo" while in development, and the Times story also mentioned that -- as widely assumed -- Apple would have liked to release the product earlier than it will now do, but that some technical challenges prevented this. Apple is well-known for pushing its engineers to work quickly, but paradoxically equally firm on not releasing a product until it is deemed ready for prime time. During testing, the company was said to wrap the hardware in "dummy shells" to make it look like competing products (such as Samsung's Galaxy Gear) for field testing.

Apple will be unveiling the product formally at a special event being held in San Francisco on March 9. MacNN and Electronista will offer live coverage and analysis of the event.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Mar 3, 2015 at 01:06 AM. )

burger
Forum Regular
Mar 3, 2015, 09:25 AM

"A day of use" Right, and if you want to go out in the evening after that "day", it will be dead.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2015, 09:54 AM

I presume this is based on your own personal tests of the Apple Watch?

No?

Can you cite your source on that, please?
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

burger
Forum Regular
Mar 3, 2015, 10:04 AM

This is from the above article, claiming a "day of use" which is not the same as 24 hours. The battery life will be what ultimately makes this product usable. If you can't put it on in the morning and go out that evening without charging it, I don't see how that would be ideal.

burger
Forum Regular
Mar 3, 2015, 10:08 AM

This QZ article quotes Cook suggesting it can go 18 hours, which is better- http://qz.com/352887/tim-cook-confirms-the-apple-watch-battery-will-last-a-whole-day/

Grendelmon
Senior User
Mar 3, 2015, 10:46 AM

I honestly don't see Apple selling this very well since it's essentially a luxury device. They're rolling the dice on this one. We'll see, I guess.

wireboy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 3, 2015, 12:33 PM

Kind of like the iPad, no? Who needs one of those when we have iPhones and MacBooks? Nice but waaaay too expensive. A luxury item for people with way too much money. In the end that worked out pretty well for Apple and I am kinda thinking this will as well.

The unknown associated with the watch, in my opinion, is not that it is a luxury item but rather that is stepping boldly into the fashion accessory domain. That is pretty rough terrain for a tech company although it looks like Apple is taking the right approach. Image Samsung trying to pull that off! lol

Grendelmon
Senior User
Mar 3, 2015, 12:50 PM

The iPad?!? Not even a close comparison. First, the iWatch is a satellite device- completely useless unless you already have an iPhone. The iPad has more functionality by leaps and bounds; some even claiming it could be a laptop replacement.

The iWatch... like I said- we'll see.

jdonahoe
Forum Regular
Mar 3, 2015, 12:52 PM

People are spending $100 to $200 for an exercise tracker on their wrist. $349 for a multifunction, waterproof watch that also tracks activity should be really popular. I want the stainless one, maybe for Father's Day!!

coffeetime
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 3, 2015, 04:31 PM

iPad's first reaction: what is it for? Laptop is all I needed. Fast forward to 2015: Apple Watch is useless and expensive, who wants it?

Grendelmon
Senior User
Mar 4, 2015, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by coffeetime View Post
iPad's first reaction: what is it for? Laptop is all I needed. Fast forward to 2015: Apple Watch is useless and expensive, who wants it?
True, but the iPad didn't require a laptop to actually function.

djbeta
Mar 6, 2015, 04:00 PM

This watch is for people that carry their iPhones and are sick of having to pull it out 1000 times a day. It is answering an obvious need. I don't want a bulky as hell phone on my wrist, I'd much rather something elegant that can make my life better. When technology gets to a point where Apple can put GPS and a cell antenna into the phone and have it still be something small and light enough that I'D WANT TO WEAR IT, I'm sure they will do it. The Apple Watch is the first really sleek and gorgeous device in this smart watch space. And, you can go for runs with it and listen to music without your phone. No GPS is a slight bummer, but, it's still an awesome little gizmo. You know what will be really cool? Grocery shopping list on your wrist. No more piece of paper, or having to pull out your phone at the grocery store.

Ham Sandwich
Mar 6, 2015, 05:14 PM

Why do so many smart watches have only a few day/hour battery life for "heavy usage"? Because the watch is a computer. People don't wear computers to bed. Charging it overnight (heck, it needs only two hours) is a requirement with this device.

Personally, I prefer a watch or phone that almost never needs to be charged, and by almost never, I mean once a month.

Forum Links
Forum Rules