Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > WSJ: Apple preparing to launch Internet TV service this fall

WSJ: Apple preparing to launch Internet TV service this fall
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Mar 17, 2015, 08:09 AM

Apple may launch an Internet television service later this year, a report claims. The supposed streaming service will apparently offer around 25 channels from major broadcasters including ABC, CBS, and Fox to subscribers, sources of the Wall Street Journal say, with Apple said to be aiming for an unveiling in June and a launch of the service in the United States by September.

The low number of channels may only be temporary, as Apple is said to still be in talks with broadcasters to fill out the roster. One notable broadcaster, NBCUniversal, is apparently not taking part in negotiations, due to issues between Apple and parent company Comcast over previous streaming television platform work, sources say, meaning that channels like USA and Bravo may not be available at launch.

As to be expected from an Apple service, it will be available to view on Apple-produced devices, such as the Apple TV, iPhones, and iPads, though it is unclear if it will be available on other platforms. It is speculated that the service will cost around $30 to $40 per month, effectively twice the cost of recently-launched competitor Sling TV.

Despite this apparent high cost, and the number of other incoming streaming services from HBO and Sony, it is likely "cord cutters" will approve of Apple's service when it launches. A diverse channel selection, as well as the Apple brand, may help it pull more potential subscribers from its direct competition as well as from cable companies.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Mar 17, 2015 at 09:04 AM. )

pairof9s
Senior User
Mar 17, 2015, 09:55 AM

Actually, it doesn't sound like anything much different than cable/satellite....here's your various packages of channels, pick one at this price. That is NOT what cable cutters are looking for. They are looking for a means to select the channels they desire without subsidizing dozens of channels they have no interest in.

Most are willing to accept certain natural groupings like Turner (TBS, TNT, TCM), Disney (ABC, ESPN, Disney), Fox (Fox, Fox News, FX), or others. But to group as many as possible together with each other and offer it as a single bundle shows little difference to the current state of cable offerings.

Comcast and DirecTV will eat these offerings alive when they simply market that for a few dollars more you can get 3 times more channels...and it'll make sense! Apple, Roku, and others I know are at the mercy of the content distributors like Sony, Paramount, Disney, etc. but it's disappointing to see such a poor effort to resolve such a great demand out there.

Grendelmon
Senior User
Mar 17, 2015, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by pairof9s View Post
Actually, it doesn't sound like anything much different than cable/satellite....here's your various packages of channels, pick one at this price. That is NOT what cable cutters are looking for. They are looking for a means to select the channels they desire without subsidizing dozens of channels they have no interest in.

Most are willing to accept certain natural groupings like Turner (TBS, TNT, TCM), Disney (ABC, ESPN, Disney), Fox (Fox, Fox News, FX), or others. But to group as many as possible together with each other and offer it as a single bundle shows little difference to the current state of cable offerings.

Comcast and DirecTV will eat these offerings alive when they simply market that for a few dollars more you can get 3 times more channels...and it'll make sense! Apple, Roku, and others I know are at the mercy of the content distributors like Sony, Paramount, Disney, etc. but it's disappointing to see such a poor effort to resolve such a great demand out there.
Exactly. It really is unfortunate.

I think the only way to break this model is if Congress intervenes. Not that I really want that, but I hate media companies more than I hate Congress.

They only way these media companies know that the ridiculous channels have any chance of survival is by forcing them to be packaged with the other premium selections. If we had a la carte pricing, competition and the market would let the lame channels die the deaths that they deserve. I honestly think the quality of television would get better if we had a la carte selection.

Ham Sandwich
Mar 17, 2015, 10:34 AM

$30 to $40 a month is outrageous, unless it's all commercial free.

I can add TV to my home service for just $10 a month; I choose not to because most of what is on TV annoys me too much.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Mar 17, 2015, 10:49 AM

If its live service from the broadcasters, there is NO WAY that it will be commercial free.

I think that WSJ has the price wrong.

coffeetime
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 18, 2015, 01:44 AM

Wait until cable company complains there are too much bandwidth being used for Apple TV and then they will jack up the internet price. Apple TV is still at the mercy of Cable Internet. Cable company will figure out a package to get the most out of this new breed of cable box.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2015, 06:06 AM

A la carte TV will never work unless the channels are 99 cents each per month. Granted, there would have to be commercials. They could offer commercial-free options for a few bucks more.

Forum Links
Forum Rules